main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Count Dooku,Sith Lord or freedom fighter?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mihaitzateo, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    Because if you become a Sith, you are a Sith.
    You would be a former Jedi then. Its like the next level.
    Shooting lightning, ruling the galaxy or overthrowing your master is what any darksider can/would do if its useful for him, its just an evil act.
    Being a Sith is more than that, its a whole culture, and like I said I dont see Dooku being 100% into it, judging most of his behavior.
    Also he turned to the dark side after Qui Gons death, means there are only few years where Palpatine taught him stuff and probably not even that much, since Anakin was his favorite and Dooku was already old.

2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I think he showed he is capable of horrifying acts such as sending the battle droids into the arena to dispose of 185 Jedi, then in TCW he poisons hundreds of systems with slavery, ruled by droids and bombing of the Senate/Jedi Temple (was Bariss working for him?). TCW even shows the yellow Sith eyes once In awhile. I like to think of him as not wanting to cross that line just yet. Somewhere in between a dark Jedi- Sith. His ultimate goal would be to start over a new Republic non Sith.

3. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Oh, I see. Some cannot accept the idea of a Jedi (unless he was Anakin Skywalker) becoming a Sith Lord. Some of the comments I have read seemed to reflect this.

But Dooku did cross the line. How can we deny this? Sure, it's nice to consider him rejecting his role as a Sith in some future, but it never happened in the saga. Perhaps in an alternative universe fanfiction story.

Sometimes, I find myself wondering if a lot of Star Wars fans have difficulty accepting ambiguity in the saga.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Being a Sith is exactly what I said it was. That's Sith culture. Nothing sets Dooku apart from any other Sith in the movies.

Alexrd likes this.
  5. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    And I still disagree.
    Like I said, the things you mentioned are things any darksider is capable of, if this makes someone a Sith, all of the Seperatists and later the Galactic Empire and its officers like Tarkin would also be Sith.
    The Sith are a "Religion" like the Jedi, with its own beliefs. And Dooku seemed always like hes using just the dark side for his plans.
    In never saw him as 100% evil like Palpatine or Anakin.
    Im just judging his character of the movies since I didnt watched much of clone wars, seems I have to do this now, but I doubt this will change my view of Dooku.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the newcanon, he left the Jedi Order long before Qui-Gon's death, and he turned to the dark side before Qui-Gon's death, being up to his ears in evil things, such as arranging for murders like the murder of Sifo-Dyas - it's just that he didn't become "The Sith Lord's Apprentice" until Maul's injury on Naboo.

Vialco and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  7. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Count Dooku is a sith and uses DarkSide Ability, he is more controlled in his Anger. He was meant to be a place holder, until Anakin was ready. I feel he had good intentions, because the Republic became very corrupt and the Jedi supported the Republic, however he did fall to the DarkSide. Dooku wasn't innocent and caused many evil acts, the willingly followed the most evil Sith in StarWars history.

8. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Here’s a crazy thought , but maybe Sith Lords have the ability to conceal their “Sith eyes.” Or maybe it’s something that comes and goes. Anakin is a Sith Lord and we only occasionally see his eyes turn yellow. So the fact that we rarely see Tyranus with yellow eyes is hardly evidence that he’s not Sith. Sidious has yellow eyes all the time after being struck by lightning because either he’s permanently disfigured, or he’s successfully conquered the Galaxy, so he doesn’t care about concealing his Sith identity anymore.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Plapy and Anakin had yellow eyes because they were on the death sticks.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This.

Though he clearly was a Sith apprentice to Darth Sidious, he hadn't (perhaps just not yet) given himself fully to the Darkside, though he used Darkside powers. I also believe this is why Dooku did not have yellow Sith eyes, as the other characters-who were known to be TRULY Sith-did. To me this also explains why Kylo Ren or Snoke didn't have the eyes either; they used the Darkside for their own ends, but never truly dedicated themselves fully to the Sith belief (or gave themselves fully to the dark side, the way a Sith would).

I figured that Anakin's Sith eyes came and went in ROTS cos he was progressing to the point where he would surrender himself fully to the Sith-but there were still moments of Anakin in there. It seemed the yellow eyes came whenever he gave in fully to his hate, but went away when he still retained a semblance of himself. I figured later they stayed there.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Oh God.:rolleyes:

Darth Megatronus likes this.
  12. Aznak Dum

Aznak Dum Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2021
    I think he is kind of a Charles Manson-figure: playing a charismatic leader of a group for his own selfish and nefarious ends. One of the biggest failures in nu-canon in my opinion is that there is no clear sense of how Dooku from the end of "Dooku: Jedi Lost" could become the saturday cartoon villain from AOTC and TCW and how much of his idealism is real. I think biggest indicator of his callousness towards his own supposed idealistic goals is how badly he treats all separatist allies.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Which Sith didn't use the dark side for his plans? That's the very point of the Sith. Using the Force, including dark side, for their own ends. From the movies alone, Dooku's motivations are evil. He willingly contributed to his master's evil plans, plans that he subscribed to. He willingly became a Sith Lord. He craved power and was trained in the ways of the Sith to gain it.

There's no reality where Dooku isn't evil or a de facto Sith.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Vialco likes this.
  14. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    There really is no way around it, Dooku is an evil Sith. Whether he planned to overthrow Sidious or not, he is still following their beliefs and even if he killed Sidious, he wouldn't do good acts to help the Republic/Empire. He would rule it like a Sith.
    I think many such as me, struggle with this interpretation is because he is seen as a noble man/Former Jedi who would also make a great Jedi. This is a complement to the great Christopher Lee. I've grown to like his character and really wish he was portrayed as a freedom fighter. Using his blue saber, he was simply avenging Qui Gon and Dyas deaths by restoring a New Republic for good. Then killed by Anakin when he was simply trying to capture the man responsible in Sidious.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Lot of answers were given today in the Tales of the Jedi series today ;)

16. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Dooku was definitely a Sith Lord, but he was an elegant gentleman at the same time. Thinking about different portrayals, in the movies versus in animation, I’m struck by how gentle Christopher Lee’s Dooku is. It’s genuine, too, but not in conflict with his status as a Sith Lord. He reminds me a lot of twentieth Century dictators, members of a societal elite who were willing to use extreme military force to completely enforce control over populations.

AusStig and Darth Dnej like this.
  17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Dooku became a Sith, through and through. He got a Darth name, and craved power and control. He was willing to commit and allow massive war crimes and violence for his goals.
    Just because he had a few good intentions before falling doesn't keep him from being a Sith.
    It is worth noting that he was never going to be a true heir to Sidious. Maul was going to be the heir, but then was believed dead. And by time Dooku became a Sith, Sidious already knew of Skywalker. Had Skywalker died or refused to turn while Tyranus lived, Sidious likely would've found yet another candidate to succeed Tyranus.

whostheBossk and Kato Sai like this.
  18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    He was a mass murdering psychopath with good social graces.

LedReader and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
  20. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    Chris30 for the Dooku eulogy.

LedReader and christophero30 like this.
  21. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    While Dooku may be emotionally driven by something different, in essence, I think it's a similar mindset that Anakin had that Dooku led himself to the dark side with: The ego of thinking he have the right to decide what is necessary in pursuit of what he wants.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Anakin/Darth does what he does because he believes he's doing it for the good of the universe."

--Hayden Christensen, GQ Magazine.

"What drove me to make these movies is that this is a really interesting story about how people go bad. In this particular case, the premise is: Nobody thinks they're bad. They simply have different points of view. This is about a kid that's really wonderful. He has some flaws - and those flaws ultimately do him in."

--George Lucas, The Making Of ROTS; Page 53.

"As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance. It's easier to succumb to evil than it is to be a hero and try to work things through on the good side. Evil is inherently more powerful—it doesn't have the burden of worrying about other people. What Luke sees in Darth Vader at the end of ROTJ is something that I thought was worth understanding: the idea that Darth actually was a very good person. Except he's slightly more powerful than other people and when you get into that situation, your ability to do evil is much easier to come by."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

"One of the issues in all of this is the bad guys think they’re good and Lord Sidious thinks he’s bringing peace to the galaxy because there is so much corruption and confusion and chaos going on and now he’s going to be able to straighten everything out which maybe true but the price the galaxy is going to have to pay for it is way too much."

--George Lucas, ROTS DVD Commentary.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Sith are as varied as the cosmos. But they are still Sith.

24. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Would he have taken Maul on again if Anakin had died or refused to turn?

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Considering how well he regarded Maul in TCW cartoons, likely not.

Wait, there was ambiguity in this franchise? I thought as far as the Jedi/Sith factions were concerned:

Sith: “Muwahahaha! I will use my powers to oppress others and obtain COMPLETE AND UNLIMITED POWAH!! AND ALL WHO STAND IN MY WAY WILL DIE!!”

Jedi: “I will study my mysterious powers and use it to help others.”

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022