main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, it's a lot closer than Tatooine.

Sarge likes this.
  2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    From the initial press release:

The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.

"New generation" and "future era" read as post-ST to me. Now that I think about it, one of the sources of conflict that emerged between the OT and ST was how the New Republic didn't take the First Order seriously, and thus Leia's Resistance ended up basically working on its own without the support of the government's resources.

Perhaps a post-ST Rogue Squadron could be analogous to how a team like the Bad Batch operated during the Clone Wars? They're under the command of the larger government and military, but are free to operate in whatever method fits the mission.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    rocknroll41 likes this.
  3. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    My question was as in where will it be in the TIMEline, not the location you dorks! :p As in, after Rogue one? In-between ANH and Empire? I thought it was going tp take place after Rise of Skywalker but I am hoping that's wrong.

Sarge likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    From the post right above yours... this is all that we officially know, and it is of course the source of much debate:
    Edit: Also, though, part of the reason for the discussion about it all is the fact that the movie's current working logo contains a T-65 X-wing (Rebel Alliance era, not Resistance era), and so did the promo video that was released. That video also included a Rebel Alliance style pilot helmet.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    PymParticles likes this.
  5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The best timeline for RS is set between ANH and Empire with the Empire / Rebels war at it's height not set after TROS because they will have to invent a whole new enemy or the remains of the First Order which begs the question where will Rey , Finn and Poe fit in and if they don't the audience will wonder why and then if it's set to far in the future then it begs the question of why are we not having EP10.

Glitterstimm, Sarge and 2Cleva like this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Episode 10 would like another 20-30 years into the future if not few hundred years post episode 9. Also it can be done if follow the marevel thing if each standalone movies connect slightly. Rey, Finn and Poe will be busy with jedi and politics system.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You know Marvel didn’t invent the idea of movies being connected?

EHT and PymParticles like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    i know but it made it popular, standalones movies being connected, i mean no sequels, i don't know that many franchises that does it.

9. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I don’t really understand the reasoning for them doing it in a future era after the ST. They know in general that the fans prefer the original trilogy era. Putting it between episodes four and five would be amazing and I am betting that’s what most fans would want to see. To me, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to move forward without another trilogy first, not that I really want that either. I feel like the one-off movies are supposed to fill in the gaps afterwards. Anyway. I won’t discard the possibility that having it set in the future would be good. I suppose it still has potential if it has a great story and great characters. Let’s hope that’s the case.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    They just perfected it. :)

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Also more and more marvel guys seems to be getting involved with star wars.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    At this rate everyone in Hollywood will be a Marvel person at some point. I'm ok with that.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    with how many movies and tv shows they come out with, yes.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Exactly. It's actually staggering when you think of how many people have already worked in a Marvel film or series.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean that's sorta the great thing about this latest generation of filmmakers and writers. Yes they are professional filmmakers and writers but they are also probably a lot of them that are also big nerds too.

16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Which worries me.

I don't want SW to become like MCU. Even though that's probably what Disney is aiming for...

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    We already got now with Mandalorian in a way.

18. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I'd be surprised if the next SW movie takes place during the OT era -although you never know..- Wasnt being another "rehash" of the empire/rebels conflict the main complaint about the ST? And the first film to start a new wave of SW movies would go back to x wings vs tie fighters, rebels vs stormtroopers? Preposterous!

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, preposterous like making a whole movie about one line from the opening crawl of a movie from '77. And we all know how that turned out.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think, at least one actress in this movie will be a ginger redhead like Felicia Day or all the other gingers that are popular in Dungeons and Dragons live streams these days. After going for brunette Brits in their previous films, LFL will need to "diversify" their white girl role.

Sarge likes this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Although I would love if it took place in that post-ANH timeline, IMO it would be difficult as it wouldn't feel right to not have any of the OT big hitters (mainly Luke and Wedge) in there. I suppose they could cameo-but Luke and Wedge were both part of Rogue Squadron as shown in ESB. So their absence in it would be really jarring-only way that would work is if both Luke AND Wedge only recently took control of the squadron just before ESB. Which seems like kind of a cop-out explanation for not having those two in there.

I would hope it takes place sometime in the latter half of the time between ROTJ and TFA. There's lots of interesting things that could be covered there, that would help better set up some background for the ST, like the first early encounters with the FO (like was mentioned earlier). I suppose by "future era" of the saga could mean the ST itself...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Corellia's Dream likes this.
  22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

There wouldn't be a problem having Luke Skywalker and Wedge cameo as they could use the de-aging technology as used in the Madalorian so there could be a mission with another Squadron with Luke and Wedge there at the start for support - if they do go post TROS then they would really need to do a old-man Poe story line cause he was the best pilot in the Resistance so his absence would make no sense......

2Cleva likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wouldn't need much explanation. He's assigned to a different duty. He's running for public office. He retired from the military to start his own business. He's spending more time with his family. His absence wouldn't be an issue unless we wanted it to be.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You don’t even need to explain it. It’s a big galaxy. Not every important character needs to be in everything.

Corellia's Dream, Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean maybe Rogue Squadron will be like Rogue One and be a Prequel to the Sequel Trilogy

chris hayes likes this.