main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Escape Room 2 :oops:

Planning to watch Snake Eyes tomorrow (I'm pretty sure that movie will also warrant a :oops:)

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Test Pilot. Clark Gable plays a fast-living, hotshot test pilot who has to put down and meets Myrna Loy. Like any halfway sensible man who encounters Myrna Loy, he immediately falls in love and marries her, but his dangerous lifestyle quickly creates unbearable tension for both Loy and Spencer Tracy, Gable’s best friend/mechanic/caretaker. All three are great: Gable brash but vulnerable, Loy unbelievably charming and devastating at the heart of the movie, and Tracy adding a real pathos as the tortured observer who fruitlessly tries to avoid disaster. The movie juggles tones well, as it has a sort of screwball romance charm during the courtship that gives way to mounting dread as their relationship becomes a countdown to death. There’s an incredible scene where Loy vacillates heartbreakingly between accepting Gable as he is and living in dread, and leaving him for her own sanity. One of those churned-out thirties pictures that, through superb craftsmanship and great acting, becomes something pretty special.

Gamiel, Sarge, Kenneth Morgan and 2 others like this.
  3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    So I watched the episodes of Wallace And Gromit.

But I finally saw the newest one I haven't seen. A Matter of Loaf And Death. I must admit this one, though again very well done, felt a tad off. Like it felt super quick. I was looking at it from an animation perspective. You seen them all back to back, and you see how much they've improved from their first film in 1989. The animation felt like it was CGI rather than stop motion, but it was. No doubt technology has helped them make it tremendously, but in a way, it feels like the charm off it was not exactly there though.

But it was still fun and entertaining. However
    I was not expecting seeing Wallace's butt. That was a surprise

So check it out. Was free on prime for me. My favorite is still A Close Shave with the sheep as its the funniest one and kept me laughing throughout the whole thing. Though The Wrong Trousers is still probably the best entry with the train sequence.

pronker likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gunpowder Milkshake (2021)
    A female assassin rescues a girl from a job that turned ugly and her world turns upside down. It's a typical Netflix original movie where dialogue is sacrificed for action, violence, and a little gore. It just makes me cringe sometimes watching a movie where it feels like the actors are reading off of cue cards like an SNL skit. The film definitely had its moments; especially if you're eager to watch some women, albeit a group of Mary Sues, really kick ass.

I definitely like the librarians

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Master_Lok likes this.
  5. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Halloween (2018)

Far from perfect, but probably the best this series has been in a long time, which admittedly isn't saying much. Michael Myers portrayal as almost a mythical creature from hell is my favorite aspect of the film and I hope it continues like that in the upcoming sequel.

Master_Lok and christophero30 like this.
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I thought it was well done. Jamie Lee Curtis gave a good performance. Probably my favorite since H20. (I liked that one it was fun)

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Colombiana (2011)
    Zoe Saldana is an assassin hunting down the men who murdered her parents in this Luc Besson revenge flick. It's okay, but nothing special.

8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Jolt

Kate Beckinsale still game for action movies, this time veering heavily into classic Jason Statham territory. Crank! Jolt! One syllable titles that sell the whole movie, much better if you think of them as verbs. If they’re nouns, it ruins the movie. So they’re verbs. You can put these on a shelf next to Foucault’s “Discipline and Punish.”

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just wondering. Is there, as the trailer suggest, no female assassins among the bad guys or do there appear some?

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    No female bad guys.

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013

Has anyone here ever seen this? Was wondering if it was still worth a watch.

Juliet316 and Count Yubnub like this.
  12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    My brother Bri always maintained that the fight in the alley between Roddy Piper and Keith David was the greatest fistfight in movie history. I didn't agree (I said Connery vs. Shaw in "From Russia with Love"), but I greatly respected his choice.

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes and yes. It became scarily relevant again while Trump was in office (Haves versus have nots and how greed etc. is pushed). Thankfully, you can watch this for fun again now.

14. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I'm watching 1994s

Blown away

christophero30 and pronker like this.
  15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Woodstock 99: Peace, Love and Rage
    I probably fall into the wheelhouse for who this documentary is aimed at. I was 15 in 1999, I remember watching Kurt Loder sign off MTV during the concert, I still watch Korn's performance of Blind on Youtube a lot. Certainly versed of the figurative and literal ****show that the festival is remembered for but interesting to more in-depth look at it. It takes a good amount of the MTV and pay-per-view footage and combines it with home video and behind-the-scenes stuff.

It's amazing to see one of the promoters, John Scher, pass the blame on the debacle to any and everyone else in 1999 and to this day. I don't know if it's that he's could still be open to any litigation or whatnot but he's not doing himself any favors in the interviews.

I don't know if was the intention (it seems so) of the director to ultimately frame what marred the festival as cultural parallels to a lot of what's still going on in society today but that seemed to be the existence of the whole doc. There are a few segments that are uncomfortable to watch.

If you were between 15 and 25 in 1999, I'd say this is certainly worth a watch. Looking forward the other documentaries that Music Box and Bill Simmons have in the future (but please Bill, write a mailbox at some point again).

christophero30 and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That Hamilton Woman. Wartime would seem an appropriate time to invoke the memory of one of Britain’s greatest war heroes, and Nelson, defending an isolated Britain against a continent-bestriding dictator, provides an obvious inspiration for a Britain beleaguered under Hitler’s assault. What’s unusual is to invoke that hero through his greatest scandal. This Alexander Korda film tells the story of Emma, Lady Hamilton, the courtesan who married an ambassador and became, quite publicly, Nelson’s mistress. It’s an impeccably crafted romantic melodrama of forbidden love, and with Vivien Leigh as Emma and Laurence Olivier as Nelson, there are no complaints about the acting. It’s a unique angle to approach the historical story from, and it works.

Gamiel, Bacon164, pronker and 2 others like this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Pokemon: Mewtew Strikes Back -Evolution (2019)

A Netflix "original", though it's essentially a carbon copy of the film, " Pokemon: The First Movie" but remade with CGI. If you're familiar with the world of Pokemon, you'll appreciate the updated film; though don't expect anything new besides a shiny new perspective. I'm not sure if the original cast reprised their roles. I vaguely recognized Ash's voice as well as Brock's. Misty seemed a little different to me, but I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Gamiel likes this.
  18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The Village

This is perhaps the Shyamalan film where even some of his biggest fans started questioning things a bit; namely the fact that he spoils the major suspense set piece of the film too early which almost comes across as a major lapse in judgement in the editing room if anything.

Otherwise, this film is an enjoyable watch largely due to beautiful cinematography, costume design, and a gorgeous score featuring brilliant violin arpeggios and moody string lines.

The actors are all quite terrific in this, even when the script is not, and it's interesting to note that Joaquin Phoenix plays a similar part as Janet Leigh in Psycho in that both of them are the perceived lead characters but are then stabbed early on.

William Hurt gives a great performance and Bryce Dallas Howard is perfect in the role of Ivy.
    Sigourney Weaver, one of my favorite actors, gives a rather bland performance, but that is forgotten by M. Nights' second more controversial twist and that combined with another of his almost pretty much 4th wall breaking cameos in which he explains stuff. Another odd choice.

The Village is a well crafted film though and certainly qualifies as over hated if not underrated. I think it's a great film anyhow and there are a lot of beautiful, moving, and suspenseful scenes. One does care about these characters and their traumas that led them to the village in the first place.

19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Parasite.
    Wow this was a good film. Completely not what I expected. Kind of a mystery, not really a horror movie, although it does get horrific at the end. Very original, and so many twists and turns. Nice commentary on class warfare between a poor family and a rich family they latch onto. Very funny in places, although very dark humor. Recommended.

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm watching a Laurel and Hardy silent from 1927 and a question has just occurred to me :

within a few years sound would be here and of course L+H continued making movies but did they ever consider dubbing their silents so they could be re-issued ? or - Did anyone else try it?

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's very much a Korean Coen Bros film IMHO. I love it so much. Showing it to my brother this week while he's visiting since I have the 4k Blu ray.

pronker and christophero30 like this.
  22. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Charlie Chaplin created a score, added sound effects and replaced the title cards with his narration for his film The Gold Rush. I don’t recall if he did this with any of his other films.

pronker, Juliet316 and gezvader28 like this.
  23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Old
    Interesting idea and concept but kind of uneven. The cinematography was very good though, along with most of the other technical aspects. Ken Leung's character was about the only one that stood out to me.

Because M. Night Shyamalan keeps going back to the well for having to put a twist into a film, you know it's coming throughout it. I don't know if I like the one here or if I hate it. It's not his worst but I was expecting something else so the actual one was just muted to me.

Also, apparently no one gets gray hairs when they age on this beach. There is one upside to rapidly aging there I guess.

pronker and christophero30 like this.
  24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I'm debating whether or not to see it today. I live about 1/4 mile from the theater.

Guidman likes this.
  25. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Captain marvel

Seen this maybe 3 times now, still not sure I have a clue what its about. I mean I couldn't explain her origin story I don't think. So she's a human who got powers from a sublight engine explosion or something but was raised as a kree, I don't ******* know

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    pronker, christophero30 and Sarge like this.