main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I mean I feel like the twist that
    she was never really blind
    is one of the most surprising he has done.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Watched Minari finally.

First off, happily after three months of studying I understood some of the Korean!

Anyway, this is a good little character drama. All the characters are fleshed out even the seemingly crazy neighbor. The ending is perfect. The cast is great.

A-

pronker likes this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So I looked up the twist because there’s no way I’d bother to watch the movie, and discovered that one of the characters is a rapper named, I **** you not, Mid-Sized Sedan, and now I feel like I have to watch it.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Godfather (1972)
    Most of my life, I've heard people say this is a great movie and I have to see it, and I finally did. Yeah, good acting and direction, impressive production, complex plot, atmosphere you could cut with a knife, and compelling dialog from deep and layered characters. But I couldn't connect with any of them and just didn't care about any of their personal tragedies. It didn't move me at all.

Gamiel, pronker, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  5. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Two Women. Sophia Loren plays a single mother who tries to escape the hardships of war for the sake of her ill daughter, but finds she cannot. Vittorio De Sica’s film is harsh and powerful; I just wish Loren weren’t called upon to play so much of the film in the “shrilly hysterical” range.

pronker and Count Yubnub like this.
  6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Tunes of Glory. A classic contest-of-wills drama, it pits crude, drunken, domineering battalion commander Alec Guinness against John Mills, the spit-and-polish, gentlemanly martinet who supersedes him. Neither is a very good officer, but Guinness’s vices are of the more bearable kind, while Mills is the sort of petty tyrant who shows no concern for his subordinates, and a conflict brews in which the junior officers tend to support Guinness. It’s an excellent drama of clashing styles and butting heads, which makes it a pity the overwrought resolution lacks a certain believability. Still well worth a look, though.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think your response is common. I think it's something people enjoy from an emotional distance.

Count Yubnub and Sarge like this.
  8. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Air Force One

Hadn't seen this action/thriller in awhile and although it's allright and entertaining, the film does not hold up as well as I assumed it might.

There's Harrison Ford playing the kind, smooth, football loving family man and all American President who happens to also speak Russian, be an expert at hand to hand combat, extremely confident using automatic weapons, and brilliant at executing ridiculous stunts in addition to being a pilot due to his military experience. Good thing Daisy Ridley didn't play this part or SW fans would have called her disrespectful names.

Then we have a manaical terrorist played by Gary Oldman, one of my favorite actors, who very nearly goes over the top in a cliched role as the villain and is not his best work although some of his scenes are unpleasant to watch due to his ruthlessness.

So, there is a scene in which Harrison is hanging off the back of a parachute platform with his bare hands while on a moving plane while the refueling plane explodes in mid air just behind him. And he survives.
    Yet inexplicably, the world was outraged when Indiana Jones survived in the infamous nuke the fridge scene.

There are lots of corny moments too like when he sees a carton of milk leaking and gets the idea to dump the fuel. And crossing the yellow and green wires; "come on red, white, and blue." The way the camera shots and editing make these connections so blatant combined with Ford's at times awkward acting make for some unintentional comedy. And the reaction shots of the staff back in DC are pretty funny.

At the very end when the plane is crashing into the water with the traitor still aboard shouting in the doorway, I half expected/hoped that a Great White would breach the water and eat him while roaring like a lion. That's about the range of plausibility they were going for with Air Force One.

Gamiel, pronker, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    AF1 is absolutely a turn-off-your-brain-and-laugh-at-the-stupidity movie. Mover did his usual breakdown of most of the airplane parts; "Yeah, no, that's not how it works." :rolleyes:

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    the best part of AF1 is near the start , they've just hi-jacked the plane and the crew are trying to land the plane , the hijackers know this must not happen and force them back into the air , it's just such a well edited scene and the music and the plane nearly going over as it turns and weaves etc.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It's a great movie. If you watch 2 it is interesting because it shows Michael and his father (played by DeNiro) at the same time in their lives, and how differently they go about things.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The movie Air Force One did inspire part of the plot of the first episode of NCIS, though.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  13. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Air fart one

14. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Besides, Olympus Has Fallen was a better political version of Die Hard. ;)

15. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    I can't believe I enjoyed those films.

The first one came out around the same time as white house down. I performed fallen tho. Interesting to see them take over the white house. The second film I didn't care for much but the third was ok I guess.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  16. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Mover's breakdown is hilarious!

"Always in burner."

"Oh, that's just too bad. That's just, no. No. No. No."

"I don't know if I need to explain this but, a 747 won't do that. And if it did go off roading like that it would be a very tragic situation."
    [face_laugh]

Gamiel, Sarge and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    One of those movie tropes that always has me raising an eyebrow is the pilot seeming to require his physical strength to pull the plane out of a dive or whatever, you know really straining with the controls , I mean I would think that just can't be the case.

but I've never flown a plane , so let's ask @Sarge

Sarge and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  18. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    I watched sully recently so I'm kinda a pilot now. If youve seen flight were they fly upside down I'm not sure that's possible.

Air fart one should have really went with it, perhaps do a flip with air force one and a few barrel rolls

Sarge likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Jar-Jar Binks , Mover did his thing with Flight, too. Based on various reviews I've read from professional pilots, I've never bothered to watch Flight.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In the C-130 and many other heavy planes I've looked at, there are footrests on the bottom of the instrument panel so the pilot can brace his feet and put his full body behind the effort to pull pack on the yoke. In normal circumstances, there's no need to use that much muscle. But there have been cases when the hydraulic boost to the flight controls (like power steering in a car) fails and the pilot is trying to steer a jumbo jet with nothing but his arms.

There was a famous case back in the late 80's when a DC-10 lost one engine and all hydraulics, leaving the crew to try to land with nothing but manual controls (which seemed like they were set in concrete and probably did no good at all) and the throttles on the two remaining engines. They almost managed to land it safely, but lost it at the last moment. A lot of people died, but a lot also lived. Most of the public and the aviation sector hailed the crew as heroes. The surviving crew still blame themselves for the ones who didn't make it.

So, short answer to your question, it can happen that the pilot muscles the plane out of a dive, but Hollywood usually doesn't show it right.

21. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    I skipped to the flip scene in that youtube video, it wouldn't never happen lol

22. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    The Tessaract ( Space Stone). Mar-Vell was fuelling that plane with Tesseract's energy and was with it on board when it was attacked by the Kree. After the explosion Carol was exposed to the Tesseract energy. It saved her but also changed her giving powers. The Kree took her in out of curiosity and later study her.

Gamiel, pronker and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Old and Forever Purge at the drive in.

They made for a very satisfying Drive-In double feature.

Old worked very well. I liked the reveal and how the movie didn’t walk anything back. Best not get too caught up in the details and just go with the story and it’s creepy situations.

In the current producer driven franchise movie model it’s refreshing to see M. Night’s more personal auteur approach to filmmaking. I love his choice of shots and calculated editing style. There are flourishes and moments that stand out as brilliant - even if the collective sum of the movie isn’t. M.Night excepting and relishing his B-movies style has set his work free.

Forever Purge made for a great drive in movie. It’s the same concept and set up as the other Purges. It’s a B-movie too but never rises to what M.Night brings to a film. I wouldn’t have seen this except it was the second movie on the double playbill.

This Purge tackles immigration issues and the 1/6 insurrection. I’d be interested to know when this was filmed and how much of the 1/6 elements were always there and what was added after the insurrection.

That made it feel relevant politically and culturally - a little bit. But the main focus of the story is people killing each other and society falling apart. As that it’s entertaining enough. Characters are likable.

Two Mexican characters are portrayed as sort of divinely good and extremely proficient killers when defending themselves or on the side of justice. In contrast to the chaos sowing villains these better than possible characters somehow work in the frame work of the story.

Not a great movie or one that need a second viewing but extremely satisfying at the drive in.

pronker and Dagobahsystem like this.
  24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Old.
    M. Night Shyamalan's latest.
    I liked it. Flawed for sure, with some strange dialogue and acting. But it gets better as it goes along, is never boring, and the twist is a good one. The twist made the rest of the film better, and was thought provoking.

25. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Victor/Victoria. This is a farce with a complicated premise but a simple sense of humor. Julie Andrews plays a starving singer in thirties Paris who finds success posing as a gay female impersonator, while James Garner is the visiting gangster who, after being turned on by her performance, insists on discovering the truth. Andrews excels in a demanding role, while Garner is perfect casting — an extremely masculine man who has never been afraid of appearing unmasculine onscreen. Praise is also due to Robert Preston as the charming impresario behind Andrews’s transformarion, and Alex Karras as Garner’s comic relief bodyguard. Blake Edwards does an excellent job of wringing all the comedy he can out of the setup, and from slapstick to sarcasm, the film is reliably hilarious throughout, witty and silly in turn. A classic.