main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Philly does have some great museums. Hope you can squeeze in one at least! The Art Museum is amazing and Eastern State Penitentiary is a lot more interesting than I would have imagined. Also, they have a small Chinatown with a lot of great restaurants. Philly was my last 'away' trip before Covid shut everything down; was there for the Flower Show in February.

Jealousy-provoking...yup, that'll do it! :D

Chyntuck, amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Gorgeous view. Looks like wonderful weather as well.:cool:

Yep, sure did. :p

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So jealous!

Unfortunately, the wind shifted, bringing us a whole lot of smoke. I went outside for a quick walk but even that started to induce a mild headache so I came back in.

I JUST WANNA A VACATION!! (and that 24 hours away a few weeks ago didn't count)

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and amidalachick like this.
  4. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @jcgoble3 yep, I am officially jealous. [face_not_talking]:p It looks gorgeous there though. Hope you're having fun! :)

I KNOW, RIGHT? In September it will be two years since my last vacation. All I want is to walk on the beach by the ocean with my best friend. *sigh*

Also, for everyone dealing with the fires and smoke, hoping you all stay safe!

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm back home now. Tired as hell and need to go to bed soon. Was a fun two and two-half days. (half of Monday, half of today, and all of Tuesday and Wednesday)

6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    We successfully shipped out the entire tribe to our holiday house in northern Greece yesterday and now it's just Mr Chyn and I enjoying the peace and quiet at home. Fanfic here I come!

Also, the heat wave seems to be receding at long last (thank the deities), so going to the beach without getting roasted alive is becoming an option – and I have another trip to Patras planned for this week :D

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wohoo for beach time!

I've had a fairly terrible weekend. Went out on a cycle with some friends, took a corner too fast and ended up falling over in the road, I have honestly no idea how I got out of that completely unscathed, let alone not get hit by a car. I am totally fine physically but it really freaked me out. THEN, I somehow got roped into being the sober one at a bar crawl with these guys. It's a long story and am thankful I managed to get back home around midnight but I never want to do that again. The drinking gets a little too silly and irresponsible for me. I am not a prude, but I don't like to be around belligerent drunk people.

I dont want to be that boring person who works all the time, but I think I am going to use that excuse a lot for my reasoning why I don't hang out with them regularly. Its hard because I love adventures, but there's a point where adventures become dangerous.

Also, my credit card info was stolen. Fortunately, I noticed the fraudulent charges quickly and was able to lock the card right away, (and the charges weren't too bad if I cant get them refunded) but I'm going to have to deal with it tomorrow and get a new card.

Which also means I cant order groceries online. I have to go in person.

Anyways, also on work, I think we talked about this a few weeks ago, but how do you train yourself to be completely unavailable during your days off? I signed into my work email today to see if I was needed on the cycle trip tomorrow (I only work 2 hours Monday evenings and only for cycling trips if they are short volunteers) and I saw that I had a time sensitive email - rare for me. Basically a consultant we recently hired sent me something Saturday morning, asking me if I can do a Zoom call Monday afternoon. Normally I shouldn't have seen this email till Tuesday. But I still sent a quick email back saying no. On one hand I do need to be better about not replying to non-emergencies out of my work hours, but on the other hand I don't want to knowingly make someone else's day more frustrating by not responding.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm on vacation!!! It was really needed because if I had to deal with work one more week I might have just quit. At least having a little break should help.

I'm so glad you are okay from the bike spill! That sounds so scary! But yeah, I feel ya on this. Even if I'm also drinking, I usually hate being around people like that and when you are the DD it's so much worse.

Oh no!! This just wasn't your weekend! I'm glad it wasn't too bad, but that always sucks. :(

I do sometimes have to check my phone/email if I know something is coming on a Monday and I don't have all the details, but other than that, I just put my work laptop and phone away at 5pm on Friday and don't pick it back up until Monday. (This doesn't work if you use your personal stuff for work though, obviously.) I do think this is a really big problem with working from home, it makes us feel like we have to be on all the time.

I think you just have to set boundaries and keep to them (which can be easier said than done). So yeah, sometimes people ask for things last minute and I don't see them until it's too late, but I always try to think of the saying "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." I also remind myself that my job isn't paying me for the weekends (most of the time, I'm salary, so there are very rare occasions that might not be true) and I deserve to have my time. I also preach to other people about taking their time, so I guess that helps me too. I used to get so mad at my old boss for sending emails when he was on vacation because it set such a bad example and made it seem like that's what he expected.

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yay for VACATION! Yeah... I get that feeling. You got any fun plans?

Thanks. It was very scary and I know I am so lucky to be totally okay.

And yeah, if I am drinking, I am a very lazy person (I am the person who, if you take me out drinking, I am the one asleep in the booth half the night), so I dont mind DDing because staying sober means I'll have the energy to have fun and I get to be the one to remember everything... but several lines were crossed and near the end I was not having fun.

Is it bad that I am looking forward to work for some nice, safe, calm occupation :p I cancelled my credit card and reported everything this morning (not as nearly as long of a process as I thought). But it will be a week until my replacement card is here so I am preparing myself for the emails from pre-authorized billing saying my card was declined and needs to be updated. I bought a pre-paid visa for anything ultra-important (like my meal prep subscription).

I had to go get groceries today and it made me realize how much I love getting groceries online and having them delivered. Grocery shopping and hauling everything up to my condo is a lot of work! But the random impulse buys were kinda fun!

Unfortunately, I use my own laptop and phone for work stuff, but I kinda still do this - I keep everything work related in Chrome (both on my laptop and in the Chrome app) so I can keep it separate and don't open Chrome unless I am being paid (or need to quickly check something).

That is very good advice and something I need to remember. Because emailing someone on a Saturday asking for a Monday meeting is not cool for anyone. I need to remember what is actually important and unless I can save a life, people can wait for replies.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    amidalachick, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Enjoy your holiday @mavjade!

@Briannakin I hope you feel better now, you really had a crummy weekend!

About making yourself unavailable for work: just set up an auto-reply on your email from after work on Friday to before work on Monday that says "I'm currently out of the office, I will see your message on Monday at 2 pm". If you want to go one step further, you can add "if there is anything urgent call me on number so-and-so", but people will usually think twice about calling you on the phone during the weekend if it isn't a proper emergency. Works wonders in my experience.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I feel like I want another weekend since mine was so crummy! I need to come up with something fun to do next weekend, preferably that doesn't involve leaving my place.

I thought about setting up an auto-reply to cover the fact that I don't work Mondays, but 95% of the emails I get are internal, so from one of about 4 people (7 if you count summer staff who are emailing me regularly) and they all know I don't normally work Mondays and it is never time-sensitive (if it is and it's during work hours we text each other). So I feel an auto-reply would be way more annoying for them (and for me to turn on every Friday), than for the small number of external emails I might get (and which again, are rarely time-sensitive).

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Got a lovely reply on my AO3 Account today on a story that asked for more Tamia fics and complained that as they were OCs she had to wait for me to write them rather than just finding more fanfic. I have a 'ship name for my OCs (Namia and Tara). My OCs work well enough that someone has 'shipped them. (*cue excited squealing in the background every time I think of this).

I cannot explain how happy, excited, terrified, overwhelmed and gleeful this makes me - all at once.

*breathe Kitkit breathe*

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I figured out what I'm going to this weekend that doesn't involve potential risk of life... but that's also fun and 'different' (because I woke up this morning and my ribs really hurt; it's too delayed to be from the biking incident so I think it's from stress). I am going to rearrange my living room so my bean bag chair is in front of my TV (my couch is horribly uncomfortable, I really need to drag my sister out furniture shopping) and I am going to watch the Olympics all weekend long.

There are plenty of good reasons why to boycott these Olympic games (in my opinion, they probably should have been cancelled again) but I love the Olympics and this is exactly what I need right now.

14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I really like Olympic gymnastics, especially men's gymnastics. It is amazing what they can do.

15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Same here. I could watch men's gymnastics, especially the rings apparatus, for hours on end. It just defies the laws of physics.

So we've been childless for a week now and I'm very much enjoying the peace and quiet, thank you very much. Mr Chyn, on the other hand, being as gaga as he is about his daughter, is calling her three times a day and is very upset that she isn't available for him when she's, for instance, having a swim. Yesterday she told him, "Papa, I can't talk to you now, I'm very busy." His colleague who drove him home told me he'd never seen him so mortified.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]

amidalachick and Chyntuck like this.
  17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    They're announcing a new heatwave with temperatures above 40°C (104°F) starting tomorrow for at least a week. I'm beginning to consider moving to Lapland.

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I LOVE the Olympics. I'm not a huge sports person, but I'll watch any country do any sport when it's Olympics. I agree they shouldn't have happened, but I'm happy to watch. I don't blame Japan for continuing, they were basically stuck and had to put them on for both financial and political reasons.

Sorry, I tried to answer you the other day but the internet where we were was spotty (though it was better than the cell service!). We went to Tennessee to a place called Pigeon Forge (it's pretty much a giant tourist trap). Basically it was there because it was kinda central-ish for the group of people who maybe wanted to drive instead of flying (though many did) and we could rent cabins.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I'm not a huge sports person either, but I think it's the wide variety of sports for such a short period of time, makes me love watching them (especially the gymnastics and the diving!). Theres also a bit of nostalgia for me - staying up super late to watch some of these events - especially during a particularly boring summer. I get all my mindless sports watching out for 2 weeks (though I always also try to catch as many Paralympic events as I can), then I'm good for another 2 years!

And, as I mentioned above, I've really just needed something fun, different, and distracting to sustain me until I go on my two mini-vacations in September and the Olympics are a perfect fit.

Sounds like fun!

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Did you get a chance to go to Dollywood while you were there? I've been wanting to go there for years and never been able to make it work. Was in the plans for last year before, well, you know. :p

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I had one of those days where nothing went horribly wrong... but nothing went great either. First, I had like 3 hours of sleep because my blood sugar was doing weird stuff last night. I had to film some kayak training (so I can eventually put it online), but I forgot my 2nd camera battery (I swore I put in my bag but it wasn't there and I can't find it) so when that died I used my phone, so I'm going to see tomorrow how well that turned out. Thankfully we were almost done by the time that died (and thankfully I have a car charger so I could navigate my way home since we were somewhere I had never been before).

But during filming I rolled in goose poop (DO NOT RECCOMEND. CANADIAN GOOSE POO IS HUGE) and I broke my sandals (unrelated incident). Which, I'm always happy for an excuse to buy new shoes, but I had to find something online that took paypal (because of my lack of credit card) and I had to pay $25 for express shipping because I need shoes for work! But I'm pretty happy with the shoes I got (I've actually been eyeing a similar pair for awhile, unfortunately, they didn't have my size in stock).

I also backed into a pole with my car :oops:It was a tight spot to get out of so I was going really slow but I'm thankful it wasn't worse

And my day isn't even over yet. I asked my sister to trim my mohawk (it's getting to be about that time and she's going away for awhile) so I still have to drive over there after she's done work at 8:30. So I'm just killing time till then.

I'm thinking a bubble bath will be needed by the time I get back home.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    And a lot of rain here and with my neuropathy feet acting up it's just sit it out. No bodyboarding, walking or running in this stormy weather with only 19°C and a choppy sea

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    We did! I didn't ride any of the rides, though so I don't know how they were.

Ugh, that was not a fun day! I hope it got better! My dog thinks goose poop is a tasty treat. That's the only thing that isn't a food product that he'll eat off the ground (he'll eat anything that is food like) and it's so gross. Anytime I see any around (and it's pretty often), I'm practically yelling "leave it, leave it" and walking as fast as possible.

amidalachick, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    [face_sick] Another reason why I prefer cats.

We are back on a mask mandate due to an outbreak [face_bleh] I hate anti-vaxxers. The health authority is discouraging people from travelling to and from the region so my sister is freaking out trying to decide if she's going to take her vacation tomorrow or not.

I'm just so sick of being a good person, following all the rules, then having to make my life more difficult simply because people are selfish.

25. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have been wearing a mask at work since November 2019. Ack. Yeah, I know, there was no mask mandate back then, but I had a mass growing in my larynx and was coughing so much that I ended up with a hiatal hernia. Because of my cough I had to wear a mask since I work in a hospital. I was doing okay with the mask until recently. I start panicking when I have it on and I have trouble catching my breath. I think it might be due to my reduced lung capacity because of the hernia, but I don't know. I was waiting for the day I could take it off, but I doubt that is going to happen now. BTW, the mass is gone, but the hernia remains. :(