main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: The Bad Batch Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

We've seen Gregor before in Rebels and a arc of TCW involving Droids and a Frog Commander.

2. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I'm aware of that. I don't recall Rex ever meeting him before Rebels though.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Contessa likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    In clone wars Gregor didn't know who Rex even was, so they probarly met before the end of the war and before he was shipped to Daro to train the new recruits.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Ah....Well gotcha, well I think we're supposed to just take it as a reference to Rebels and not anything prior. Because that's sorta how all these animated series (Minus I guess Resistance Sadly) as one sorta mega Animated Saga

It's just kinda one of those things when making Star Wars out of order. Which has been the tradition I suppose ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2021
  5. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ehh, it's not all that different, really.
    I think you're misremembering slightly: it's Omega Squad's remaining members that were looking to desert the Empire and flee to Mandalore. The last we saw of Delta, however, they were very much willing—if somewhat unenthusiastic—participants in the Empire's operations. The most they objected to aloud was the replacement of Sev with some other guy they didn't know. It's not much of a stretch to imagine them being reassigned from field work with the ICSU to instructor duty on Daro between the end of ImpCom and the events of War-Mantle, especially considering certain commando units were already tasked with cross-training standard clones earlier in the war.

Sure...but that tends to happen, though, when discussing a eugenicist society that had already been established to thrive off the mass growth and sale of sentient beings for use as slave labor. I struggle to see the negative in condemning that. Besides, along with those criticisms, the Kaminoan character established as having been raised outside of that social structure is also shown to be a radically different and an all-around decent person.

I really have to disagree with that. While it's true that Nala Se was an absolute breath of fresh air when she was introduced back in TCW's first season—proving that even Kaminoans raised within that environment can break from the expected norms—whatever happened to her between then and her reintroduction in season six completely expunged that initial characterization. From that point on, she's shown to be as unambiguously awful as just about every other Kaminoan involved in the cloning project, if not slightly worse for the aggressively hands-on approach she takes in dealing with rogue clones. Seeing her interest in Omega come Bad Batch was intriguing, sure, and it's obviously better than Lama Su's whole deal, but I haven't really seen anything that suggests she's not just protecting her pet project.

6. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    The Kaminoans are not the good guys. I wouldn't exactly call them "evil" so much as completely un-ethical and lacking in compassion. The very first time we see them, back in Attack of the Clones, when Obi-Wan told Lama Su that Sifo-Dyas was dead, he had a non-reaction and then went immediately back to selling the clones to Obi. This is a culture that sees no problem with making an army of what are basically unpaid child-slave soldiers, treat them as property to be sold, made them age at an accelerated rate (which of course dramatically reduces their lifespan) and finally engages in brainwashing to make them more obedient. I think it was Dave Filoni who said that they were on the Republic's side during to Clone Wars purely from a business standpoint. They have no apparent ideology outside of profit.

And I think that's incredibly interesting. I kinda actually really like what they bring to the story.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Ghost, Daneira, BigAl6ft6 and 3 others like this.
  7. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Right at the end of the episode I was like
    damn we finally gonna get an episode Rambo in the jungle evading/fighting the imperials this is gonna be sweet . . . but then no he's just captured straight away

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    @Mia Mesharad I'm not going to go down that path of debate and derail this thread, but let's shake on that you liked her books for the same reasons I did not.

I stand by what I said about Delta. They did not like what was happening. You said the same thing in your post.

True -- I keep wishing they might find some excuse to go back and make more TCW episodes, at least about the clones. Many of the TCW's strongest arcs (Ryloth, Umbara, Fives vs the chips, etc) were clone-centric and I think it was partly because they show what was happening on the side of the battle field more than what we see with the Jedi and Bounty Hunter/scoundrel side missions. Clones aren't 100% "serious" but they don't goof around as much as the other characters. It might be hard to do something similar in the other time periods (a pilot series like X-Wing/TIE fighters might be the closest opportunity).

darthcaedus1138, AusStig and Sarge like this.
  9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I forgot to say, I loved the ET homage at the beginning of the episode.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett and Contessa like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I missed that. What was it?

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It an alien or indiana jones refference wasen't it.

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The entire beginning of the episode played almost exactly like the beginning of ET, when he's being chased through the woods.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

13. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    I find it interesting you say that, because when I went through the old Lit TCW threads one of the more consistent complaints was the Clones getting so much focus, despite how quality episodes with them as the stars tended to be, it only really died down around Umbara.

Small thing about today's cameo though, when he gets stunned, he makes some very quiet grunts and they sound like they were lifted straight from the game, pretty cool.

As for Traviss, she would probably hate Delta training Storm Troopers, she would much rather have them hunting down Jedi and capping those victims of genocide in the head, that was more her speed, look how sympathetically Omega is treated when they gunned down that Jedi in a crowded Space Port. And how she made Scorch a raging ******* eager to kill more. Ugh.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  14. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    Karen Traviss doesn't have anything to do with Delta Squad, she didn't create them, and her novels are barely connected to the actual videogame. Like there is one throwaway line about 36's squad getting wiped out, and that's it. IIRC, she wasn't even allowed to write the continuation of Delta's story, because it was LucasArts/LucasFilm domain, and they owned these characters. She could only write them as cameos in her books.
    In both story pitches for Republic Commando 2, Delta stayed Imperial, with only Sev possibly becoming a Rebel.
    I hope Scorch's appearance wasn't just an easter egg, and it will actually lead somewhere. Perhaps they can utilize Sev becoming a Rebel storyline, with the rest of Delta Squad joining him, and later Rex for clone rebellion.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. Slater

Oct 12, 2014
    She has nothing to do with there or show appearance but she had quite alot to do with what they were doing in between those things.

There alot more then cameos in several of the books, she also created there trainer, aka the actual worst character in Star Wars. And made Delta wholly subservient to him.

Disney junking Legends was almost worth it just to make Walon Vau non canon. Everything about him is so ludicrously repugnent it defies belief. Never ever forget that the Republic Commando books forced Atin, somebody abused so badly by Vau that he had PTSD before he ever saw combat, make "peace" with his abuser, who is never made to even apologize and is steadily treated more and more sympathetically as the books go on.

Ugh, just typing it out makes me so mad, people argue all about how Traviss wrote Jedi and Clones, nobody talks enough about how in her book a Rich kid deciding to larp as a soldier and then abusing child slave soliders for money is somebody with some good points because he "cares" in his own way. Gross.

16. silentfault

Mar 5, 2021
    Like that's what I am saying. None of it is actually relevant. None of it was in the actual videogame about Delta Squad, none of their "in between" activities were mentioned, not even a hint of this whole Mando mumbo jumbo. When I play RC, I don't actually think about any of the KT writings, because there aren't any in the game itself.
    Republic Commando videogame actually fits seamlessly into canon, nothing was contradicted by TCW or Disney Star Wars.

17. Slater

Oct 12, 2014
    Oh, I know that, and yes the RC game is actually kind of crazy in just how much it slots into current canon with zero issues. In fact, it's actually canon that "A Commando Team" rescued Tarfull https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rescue_of_Tarfful

They have basically canonized it in all but just out right saying it.

18. silentfault

Mar 5, 2021
    The question is whether The Bad Batch is gonna respect the game's story or not. It's gonna be interesting, for sure, if Sev is missing or not. Both teams lost their sniper, huh. That could be an interesting story. Unless Scorch's appearance was just a one time easter egg bait and switch. Then my disappointment will be immeasurable :(

19. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope they do more with Delta Squad, could just as easily been a one note appearance though.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It could be his old mates are all dead and he is the only ones left.

StarWarsFan91 likes this.
  21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I prefer this route. The chips should work for Delta Squad, but I prefer if most died as Republic Commandos in a heroic fashion, then being used as Imperial Commandos.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not grim enough - they all instead died as mind frelled but entirely aware zombies, knowing their entire life was in vain as the unstoppable Empire reigns.

There, that's so much better, right?

[face_devil]

Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Have you seen Black Widow?

24. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    “I used the one resource the world has too much of...clones.”

BigAl6ft6, AusStig and Sarge like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not yet. Once it's off Premier Access, I'll boot it up. Especially as there doesn't seem to be a BR disc on the cards for it.