main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  2. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I was a very good employee until my "micromanager" came around. Over a period of time I lost nearly all my internal drive and enthusiasm for the job I had loved and according to myself and others done very well for more than 10 years. The constant nagging and yelling just made me give up. I'd never thought I'd have it in me - until it actually happened. It came really close to bullying. Company policy prohibits bullying of course, but when it comes to "word against word" between manager and employee we all know who the winner will be. I did have witnesses to some of the incidents and I was not the only one being harassed, but...nobody dared to stick their heads out. Several of us changed jobs, the micromanager is still....micromanaging.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hey if you want to see something adorable here is a bat that’s cute

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Please say it worked. The garage door of my condo parkade broke this morning, effectively trapping me inside. Not that I have anywhere to go really besides work and I can do that from home. It's supposed to be fixed by the end of today,

I also have someone coming tomorrow to fix the dishwasher, so that's nice.

I haven't seen the sky or the sun in over a week, the smoke is so thick. It's the end of the world.

Stay cool and I hope the power doesn't go!

That's good. Fingers crossed it all works out.

Oh my goodness that's horrible - and you have every right to be livid - and vent because that's all I've been doing here.

The social media manager I am working with is referring to other similar charities as "competition" and I know it's just a little thing with language but SERIOUSLY?!?! We are all charities, trying to help people. We just have different demographics and approaches and areas and that's okay. It pissed me off so much.

She also emailed me at 4:58 pm on Friday (I had left by then) asking for two more social media posts. I still haven't replied out of spite.
    So yeah, I really need a vacation!

And I still haven't gotten it. I think they suspended delivery due to the air quality.

That really sucks. I know what it is like because I am in a similar situation. I just don't care about the job anymore and that makes me feel like a horrible person because we are a charity.

5. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I hate this and it's a huge problem in the workplace (and many other places). So many people are terrible managers because they think managing is controlling employees, but a good manager is a leader who listens, mentors and supports employees.

People who 'micromanage' are people who are insecure and look for prey to take out their own frustrations on. Whenever one of these people harasses you, bullies you, this isn't your fault---they are the problem, because they have issues and insecurities. This is why it's always so important to document everything so you can have the empowerment to take a stand against them if needed. It will never stop unless they are removed or change their ways.

mavjade and amidalachick like this.
  6. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    That is HORRIBLE, and totally understandable that you'd be angry about it!

&
    Can it please hurry up and end sooner? In all seriousness, though, that sounds so terrible, for both of you. Stay cool and stay safe!

I have a slightly long vent/whine of my own that I just need to get out. Feel free to ignore! I'm currently trying to decide if moving out on my own and dealing with the constant financial stress of living paycheck-to-paycheck and hoping nothing major goes wrong would be better than the constant mental and emotional stress of living with my family, specifically my dad, who is an emotionally abusive alcoholic hoarder who refuses to acknowledge he has any problems. Things weren't great before COVID but they've really gone downhill in the last year and a half, and at this point I just want out. I just don't know how I can afford it. I also feel guilty about a lot of things - like, I hate feeling this way about my own father, and I know I should be grateful to have a place to live where I know I won't get kicked out or something, and I do appreciate that part of it. And I don't like the idea of leaving my mom and brother stuck with him, but I've raised the idea of us all getting a place together and they won't give me any feedback, and I know it's ultimately up to them to make their own choices.

It seems like life really sucks for a lot of us in a lot of ways right now. Here's hoping that somehow it gets better!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s all you can do hope things get better. Always trust that there will be brighter days ahead.

amidalachick likes this.
  8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I’m just going to stand here and give hugs to anyone who needs them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    *accepts a five-minute hug* [:D]

The water warning for our campus was finally lifted today. I was told that the delay was out of the university's control as they were waiting on test results from the Ohio EPA and were not able to do anything until the state got back to them. That doesn't make a two-month water warning okay, but makes me less angry at the university and more angry at the state (and at the third-party contractors who caused the issue in the first place by puncturing a water line while performing emergency HVAC repairs in early June). But the results came back this morning as clean, so they were able to lift the warning.

I also submitted my official graduation application at 4:00 AM this morning, so that's the first step of the process out of the way. :D Graduation date is December 11, and I have one semester standing between me and my degree. Classes start August 23.

amidalachick and Kit' like this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's hard. I know. I've been there. I was fortunate enough financially to get out after ~18 years of mental, emotional, and financial abuse from my alcoholic step-father but there was a lot of uncertainty, especially surrounding leaving my mom and half-brothers with him... but I will never look back (and I can't even imagine what COVID would have been like if it had happened like 10 years ago). Fortunately, things came to an explosive end after I moved out so my mom got out and my brothers did too. I cant tell you what to do, but have you looked into roommates or some sort of shared living situation? It's almost September, university kids are always looking for roommates around this time.

Woo hoo!!!!! Almost there!!!! And I'm glad the water warning got lifted too.

Air quality has been downgraded from "extremely hazardous" to "very unhealthy"! So I spent a few minutes outside and it was nice (until I felt a headache coming on). I changed the air-filter on my HVAC unit and it was nasty.

11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm glad I moved out of my dad's house when I did in January 2020. Our relationship was going south fast and beginning to cross the line into abuse (he was starting to gaslight me on occasion) as he was consumed by Trump's brainwashing. It was already impossible for me to do any schoolwork at home because it was a very small house (less than 900 square feet in total) so any activity anywhere in the house was a major distraction everywhere in the house. So I'm 100% certain trying to do online classes from home during lockdown would have been a complete disaster, not to mention dealing with my father's "plandemic" conspiracy theories. As much as I wish I had a more normal living-at-college experience, I'm happy that I got to deal with COVID from my own place and not his.

Speaking of a more normal living-at-college experience, the university is bringing back regular intramural sports this semester, so I signed up today as a free agent for mud volleyball the day before classes begin. :D

amidalachick and Chyntuck like this.
  12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    When going into COVID patient's rooms we can wear a PAPR or CAPR system that does blow air across my face, but we can only use them when going into the isolation rooms. In all other parts of the hospital we have to wear surgical masks. It is just the wearing of a simple surgical mask for 12 hours that is getting to me.

I am going on vacation in a couple months and flying to see my son. I really, really hope this pandemic doesn't screw up my plans. [face_worried]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I totally understand! As lonely as it was going through the worst of COVID lockdowns living alone (I mean, how I went like 3 months without seeing another human, I dont know), I am so glad I didn't have to do it in my former family dynamic. My former step-dad was one of the weird Canadian Trump conspiracy theorists and god knows what he has spouted about the pandemic and vaccines.

Hahaha. That's awesome! Before injuries and quitting and the all-consuming 20th-anniversary plans, my co-workers and I were brainstorming fun one-off events for our clients (which we totally wanted to do too!). Mud wrestling was on the list, along with stuff like zip-lining and ATVing. I should dig up that brainstorming task after the insanity of August is over.

amidalachick, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    PSA:

[​IMG]

In other news, there's a massive wildfire going on in northern Attica, so massive that our house (in southern Attica) stinks of smoke and there are ashes raining all over the place.
    I can confirm that ^^^

15. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Utterly crass. Funeral homes are getting more business, but I don't think you'd see anyone sending emails celebrating.

Agreed. Most people don't actually train in management, they're promoted from a lower job. This is why there's a push to get people back to offices, because micromanagers think if you're not actually working in their line of sight, they're not doing their job. GOOD managers (like mine!) look to see if the work is getting done & if deadlines are being met. And if it's not a strictly nine to five schedule, they don't sweat about it.

I'm over 50 & I have a roommate, it's the only way I could afford a half-decent apartment in my area. She looks after the cat when I'm out of town, and we've taken each other to the emergency room on occasion. Shared living isn't necessarily a bad thing; I spent several years with 2-3 roommates, but I am happier with one. (the cat doesn't count)

Dad is going to hospice. It's not good.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ahhh.... I love it! So cute! Part of my honeymoon was in the Maldives and they have a fruit bat species that is one of the largest in the world. You'd see them all over the place in the day and at night. They were so cute, didn't pay a lick of attention to the humans. Though there was another couple there on their honeymoon and they discovered the husband was afraid of bats. Oops!

It's certainly awful to live under constant financial stress, but it might be better than the stress you are under now. At least you have some control over finances which can be easier than the unpredictable nature of the other people in your house. Like others have said, maybe look for a roommate? That can also be challenging, but if you find the right one it can be great! And yes, you are right, your brother and mom have to make their own choices, but maybe if you go, they'll find the strength to go as well? Sending you big hugs, that's a terrible situation to be in.

Yaaay!!! You've got this! :D
    And thank goodness for the water to be back, that's terrible!

I'm so sorry. My experiences with hospice are they are willing to help your dad, you, and your family in any way they can.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I did the whole housemate situation back in university and as nightmarish as it was at times (whatever you do, don't live with theatre majors!!!!!) part of me misses some aspects of it (the company and having someone to share tasks with). I'm fortunate enough to be in a situation where I don't need roommates (plus my space is kinda small and not the best for any sort of privacy), but I'd totally do shared living in the future if the right situation came about.

Like right now, I'm currently waiting around for the dishwasher guy, and I feel like I can get nothing accomplished because I know I'm going to get interrupted... and then I'm going to be interrupted by the guy with my wheelchair... and nothing is getting done this afternoon.

I'm sorry, I hope your time with him is peaceful.

18. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I'm sorry you have to deal with this and are in this kind of situation. I have friends in similar situations who want to move out from intolerable households but their area is just really expensive to live in. I can't tell you what to do and I don't know your actual situation, but some of the actions I would consider before moving out:
    1) if there is any hope to get help for your dad or have him put somewhere where he can get the help he needs (I can't speak to what kind of relationship you have with him)
    2) Getting a place with the rest of your family is something I would push for---whether they like it or not (it may be difficult for them to make this choice, but if this was my family, I wouldn't let them stay in that place), and
    last resort:
    3) Move out with room-mates, have at least 6 months or more of emergency savings

Again, I have no idea what you are going through and it's really easy for me to just throw some ideas that make sense to me, so please do feel free to ignore any of this as well.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Things are looking up for me... at least a bit (even though it was a bit hectic). Dishwasher guy was late and ended up showing up at the exact same time as the wheelchair guy. Thankfully both were easy to deal with. I now have a working dishwasher and a BRAND NEW WHEELCHAIR (it's so pretty).

And the smoke has cleared (at least to moderate levels for now) so I had dinner on the balcony just to get some fresh air.

Unfortunately, my credit card still isn't here and I'm starting to get a bit concerned. They said the max amount of time it would take was 12 business days which it has been (and I live in a fairly major city). Sure the air quality has delayed stuff but that's only been deliveries and we got one today.

And the 4th wave of COVID is hitting hard. There are almost as many cases here as there were in the winter. I foresee a complete shut down.

20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, if a credit card is missing, the prudent thing to do would be to call and cancel it (again) and have a new one sent (again). But Murphy's Law says that if you do so, the freshly canceled card will arrive in the mail the next day.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea... and that's probably what will happen (Murphy's law rules my life right now). I'll give it until the beginning of next week before I call - things have been weird here with the air quality cancelling deliveries and the surge of COVID. PLUS I forgot to count for the long weekend. I can see the card on my online so I know there hasnt been any charges on it. I locked it so it cant be used until I get it.

My sister suggested I apply for a super basic card just to have a back-up in case of emergency and that's probably what I'll do tomorrow.

22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, this. If you rely on a credit card (and in the age of online purchases, who doesn't) you should always have at least two credit cards in your name if your credit history allows so that you have a backup if your primary card has to be canceled for whatever reason, or just fails to work.

I personally recommend having at least three credit cards, of which two should be in your wallet (backup in case the primary gets unexpectedly declined because of a fraud alert so you don't get stuck at a restaurant unable to pay the bill) and the third should be in a safe at home (emergency backup in case you lose your wallet).

23. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Whoa, 3 credits cards? I only have one and I refuse any more :p But I don't do online purchases, only sparsely use it on purchases I actually need but more often pay with cash as you need to pay back the credit card.....eventually. Maybe I'm just old-school, I dunno.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I know from my (limited) time in the US, Americans use credit cards much more frequently than Canadians. Like just giving your credit card to a server at a restaurant :eek: No pin, no machine! It shocked me. Canadians (at least in my experience) use our debit cards more (and I have 2 accounts linked to my debit card). It probably had a lot to do with the fact that we only have 5 major banks.

But certainly since... you know, the Poopie-Palpy-Pandie, I DEFINITELY use my credit card SO MUCH MORE. Like, I will never go back to grocery shopping in person. Maybe to browse on occasion or to run in to grab 1-2 things, but GOD it'has so much easier just to have it delivered.

But I think 2 credit cards is probably more than enough for the average "just in case things go wrong". However, the past few weeks for me have been worst than your average string of bad luck.

However, one upside of all this is all my subscriptions are being suspended, so I can kinda re-evaluate what I actually use. I might not update the info for everything right away. Food, cat litter, diabetic supplies and therapy are the things I am concerned about right now.

amidalachick, gizkaspice and Chyntuck like this.
  25. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    If you are a heavy credit card user, one thing I would suggest is getting a line of credit (if that's possible through your bank and if they approve it), so when the credit card bill comes, you can pay using the line of credit and have a significantly lower interest to pay back slowly in case you can't make the full credit card payment for whatever reason. It's just a very smart emergency kind of backup plan.

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.