main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Ponder the Question" Marvel's 'What If...?' [Disney+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    While I did like the action I still don’t know what to think of the show. Could have done with a longer run time. Glad no matter which stark it is they are the funniest character.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I watched the episode earlier this morning and thought it was great.

And count me among those who think Carter was fighting Shumo Gorath.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it is definitely somewhat compressed.

Squeezing 75% of TFA into 20-30 min will probably give you that. Hopefully the subsequent episodes won't try to squeeze a whole film into a single episode and instead focus on a new story (after the branching point) that is a better fit for the runtime.

On the upside, since Captain Carter seems to be a potentially recurring character, her subsequent adventures may have that better pacing.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I enjoyed the episode profusely up to what I was able to watch before my power went out, but I think it might be a good idea for me to just start over from the beginning only after I've watched the original Captain America movie while it's fresh in my mind. I hadn't seen the movie in years so whatever scenes that are supposed to be alternative actions/consequences in the new pilot episode didn't automatically register with me.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That was fantastic. I like Captain Carter.

this is an excellent melding of comic book and MCU film. The animation was exceptional. It felt illustrated while also retaining the cinematography and kinetic movement of live action.

It was definitely plotted in shorthand. The story moved so fast - and definitely expects the viewer to be very familiar with Captain America The First Avengerfir this to work. But isn’t that how the What If???? Comics worked too?????

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I do like the animation a lot. It feels like Disney cell animation in spots so points for that. The awkwardly awkward scenes aside, it was fine. Once Captain Carter gets her groove on, I liked it better.
    Peggy was always strong so Hayley trying to play her awkward as she gets used to her powers felt weird to me. ’ll be jazzed if we see Peggy vs Shuma Gorath in MoM. The sword and shield slinging is pretty great, so more of that please.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That was a lot of fun, and still managed to (pardon me) pack a punch. Yeah, the plot was compressed, but the writers did great stuff with dialog and characterizations, building on what we already know and tweaking it in unexpected directions.

I was surprised they kept Steve in the story as much as they did. Had my doubts about his role as Iron Man Mk 0, but they managed to make him an interesting part of the plot.

I like Howard's nod to Hedy Lamar; she wasn't just a hot movie star, she was a certifiable genius who invented the technology we use for cell phones before our industry was ready to produce it.

Has it been confirmed there will be more of this story? I'd like to see how they make it play out.

8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Peggy will be a recurring character in What If...? She’s confirmed for season 2. So she’ll be probably back...perhaps in the current era. I am curious about where they go with her too. I’ll be glad to leave the WWII story behind though.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I thought the first episode worked well and hit the emotional beats with the role reversal. I was mostly entertained, but then kind of bored half way though. They did leave me wanting more so keep 'em coming.

How many are we getting?

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    sort of ended in the same place with Peggy as with Steve. Flipping the truck with the shield was rediculous. MCU super soldier formula once again supercharged compared to the comics.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

13. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    more recent comic with retconned power. i just found 3 online sources that have his power at benching 800 lbs, 1,100 and 1,200.
    same pose as Superman in Action Comics 1. :rolleyes:

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Steve Rogers held down a helicopter with a single arm.

I thought the truck flip was really cool, though- and fairly plausible, since she’s letting the car’s momentum and rear-end-bucking-from-impact carry it.

Her other moments were more exaggerated- she’s jumping far higher than Steve ever could, for instance. But I would chalk that up to the stylization of the animation medium.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I used to read What If? back in the 90s and the first episode stayed true to the series ie lot of plot crammed into one issue and the story ending similar to the regular universe. I loved the 90s comics but the recent ones I bought sucked balls.

I thought the episode was pretty good. Steve as Iron Man was a nice twist.The animation was amazing and seemed to signal that Disney is tired of Marvel losing the animation war to DC.

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Agreed. That was a great reference.

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Alas, it’s 9. One episode got pushed to season 2.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also...
    When Captain Carter is running next to the guy on the motorcycle she steals, where is she?

On his left...

19. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I think the short run time actually serves the What If? sub-brand quite well. Those comics were stand-alone one-off romps that generally ended with you thinking that, in spite of how much you may have enjoyed the alternative take, it didn't quite measure up to what "actually" happened in the end. A shorter run time for an anthology series likes this does recreate that impression if by nothing else helping keep the viewer from getting overly invested in these different versions of the characters. It's something of a necessary sin to preserve the fun of the whole thing. I'm a little stunned they threaded that needle as well as they did in this first episode.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  20. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i wasn't saying she was more powerful than Steve, i was saying mcu super soldier serum has been made greater than the comic. Basically they have spider strength.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This was a huge amount of fun. Excellent voice cast, good visuals - it had it all.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    What a wonderful first episode. Love the animation style, and enough twists in the story to keep everything interesting. Definitely not "just" a retelling. Great voice work too, although Bradley Whitford was a bit out of place.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, it's been a bit variable. Batroc can momentarily give Cap a run but Cap can fight Iron Man. Although, Iron Man's armor was all beat up in the end by the time they really squared off. But then in the airport scene they charged right at each other at first and traded shots. Ultimates Cap could lift 3 or 4 tons compared to main universe Cap's 800 pound overhead press. And then there's the shield:

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah , two super soldiers can defeat Iron Man, yet Iron Man went toe-to-toe with Thor with his Mark VI armor years earlier

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well that was different though. Tony was out of his mind. He was not trying to beat Cap so much as get to Bucky and while that was happening his armor was getting beat up. So by the time they both started teeing off on him he was nowhere near 100% physically and mentally. But even then he beat them both. It was just a quick surprise that ended it.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.