main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017

This would result in NO DARTH VADER. Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.... This would also mean that Luke and Lea grow up together as siblings. This would also mean that Luke would never meet Obiwan Kenobi... So many universe altering changes.

This could be very, very interesting! What would the Jedi do, or say, when they discover that someone, Padme is teaching control of The Force to her Force sensitive kids, outside of their control and guidance? MOST INTERESTING!!!

What would Palpatine do when he discovers Padme's and her kids Force sensitivity - outside of Jedi control and guidance? Oh! SO INTERESTING!!!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think: give thems some pamflets about what not to do and then leave them alone as long as they don't become a problem or claim to be members of the Jedi order.

3. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    Well Anakin's death and Padme obtaining his powers would take place at the end of the Clone War when all of the Jedi were killed or in hiding so that wouldn't be an issue.

What I was concerned about is the prospect of Padme at one point have the Force potential of 3 Anakins to be too farfetched as well as the idea that his spirit is unable to pass on to the next life but is able to only be seen and heard by Padme. I was unsure if there was too much nonsense mixed in there.

4. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    I don't think so. I think they'll want to keep a close eye on them and will start surveilling them, pay them regular visits and ask probing questions, to be sure they aren't starting to lean to the Dark Side of The Force....

I'm remembering how the Council reacted when they realized there were Sith operating in the area. They were hunting the Sith down. And when Mace Windoo confronted Palpatine, he had only one goal in mind - kill the Sith, which pushed Anakin that last little bit that led him to fall to The Dark Side.

So, I think the Council will regard it as an emergency. Potentially, if not Padme, then her her kids could grow up to start their own movement of Force sensitives to join in competition with the Jedi Order... So much potential with this story idea...

5. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Oh... So, he was already Darth Vader?

Then he's teaching Padme about the Dark Side of The Force, and Padme is passing on Sith teachings to her kids?

As far as Force Ghosts are concerned.... They are a thing. Lots of Force Ghosts in the Star Wars universe. In Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Sith Inquisitor learns of the Force Walking Ritual, which commandeers the Force Ghost to augment the Inquisitor's power. The ritual could be done by force against the Force Ghost's wishes, or the Force Ghost can willingly share its power with the ritualist.

EDIT:

In Star Wars, there is no afterlife. Either a skilled Force user figures out how to maintain their consciousness and maintain their existence as a Force Ghost, or the individual becomes One with The Force. Becoming One with The Force, to me has a meaning that the individual's consciousness ceases to exist.

pronker likes this.
  6. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    Sorry I didn't clarify. Anakin doesn't fall to the Dark Side in my story. He is passing on his Jedi teachings to Padme.

Thank you for reminding me about the Force Walking Ritual, I feel that applies to what I am doing in way.

I wasn't sure that Padme having the Force potential of Anakin and her two unborn children was two much for her to bear. While she essentially has the Force potential of a super god during her pregnancy, she doesn't have the full training to access her full potential. I feel that even with her limited training by the time Anakin transfers his life force to her during her pregnancy her power would be several times that of Yoda or Sidious. The unborn children would serve essentially as power amplifiers and Anakin's force energy would only enhance Padme's powers even further. By the time Padme is pregnant, she has had the training of an unofficial part-time padawan so it would be essentially less than the training Anakin gave Ahsoka. After the dyad between Anakin and Padme is established, Padme accesses some of Anakin's memories of his jedi training which provides her some additional experience. I just felt like it would have been too much of a Mary Sue thing if Padme with her limited training suddenly was able to achieve godlike powers through her unborn children and then through Anakin's spirit transferring. Granted, after giving birth to Luke and Leia, Padme would be left with only Anakin's force potential.

pronker likes this.
  7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    A question for the Rebels department of the hive mind please: how could Ezra possibly be in possession of a lightsaber once he's taken the Chimaera out in the back end of space with the purrgils? IIRC Pryce has kept Kanan's lightsaber on Lothal and Ezra himself gave his lightsaber to Chopper before he surrendered to Thrawn. Is it remotely credible that Kanan's lightsaber found its way to the Chimaera, or should I just make up an old lightsaber that Thrawn kept as part of his collection of artefacts?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  8. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The latter case seems most likely. In particular, it seems like Thrawn would probably try to get his hands on any lightsaber belonging to a Chiss force user. While I don't believe there's anyone suitable in the Disney canon, Legends includes several good candidates such as Sev'rance Tann and Nuru Kungurama.

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    For the later were many of the PT-orders 'sabers works of art in some ways, so I can see that.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    So something I have been trying to wrap my head around is a Force sensitive's ability to sense other Force sensitives and how powerful they are. According to Legends, Palpatine was able to hide himself from the Jedi Order by using Force Clouding to mask himself. However, there are instances where a Force sensitive is able to sense another Force sensitive's power and other times when they are not:

1.) In Phantom Menance, the Legends storyline establishes that Palpatine was unable to sense Anakin's one-of-a-kind potential in the Force when they first met and he didn't realize it until Dooku told him about how Quigon brought Anakin to the Jedi because he thought he was the Chosen One. Quigon, on the other hand, was able to feel that Anakin was very strong with the Force by the time Anakin brought him to his home.

2.) In the First Impressions comic strip, Leia met Palpatine when she and Bail Organa traveled to Coruscant to attend a party at the Imperial Palace. When they met, Leia could sense the darkness inside Palpatine and how powerful it was. However, Palpatine sensed nothing in Leia despite her essentially having the same Force potential as Anakin did. Even Darth Vader was there and he did not sense anything in Leia.

3) In A New Hope, Vader did not sense the Force inside Leia when she was captured. However, during the Death Star battle, Vader was able to sense how strong the Force was with Luke. Throughout the series, Vader remains oblivious to Leia's Force sensitivity but he is able to sense Luke's, despite them being siblings.

4.) In the Force Unleashed game, when Vader is on Kashykkk and defeats Kento Marek, he is able to sense the presence of Kento's more powerful son Galen.

I am just confused with what determines a Force-sensitive's ability to detect another very powerful Force-sensitive being. In my story, I am trying to discern if Palpatine would be able to sense the power of the Daughter that was transferred to Ahsoka.

11. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017

In my estimation I think it's just plot holes. The way I deal with it is by explaining that some Force sensitives are trained to shield themselves with The Force, while others, who don't know how to shield themselves, are easy to detect by other Force sensitives.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    pronker and Tarsier like this.
  12. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    I need help.

I wrote a small scene for my fourth book in my Sith Politics series. I need someone to look at it and give me feedback.

Prerequisites: You have to have played the Inquisitor character in Star Wars: The Old Republic. That's it.

P.M. me if you're interested.

Thank you kindly in advance for your help.

EDIT:

No takers? [face_worried]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    pronker likes this.
  13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I have a weird question (could probably post this in the scribble pad but I think this is just a me issue). When do you re-name a character (more specifically an OC)?

I've been a bit of a "rut" with just doing vignettes with mostly OCs (I hesitate to call it a rut because I'm still having fun when the muse gives me ideas... but it's been rare I've been getting ideas that excite me). And I want to expand to writing/posting more WW content on Ao3 but this vignette series is about 300,000 words of confusing out-of-order that's intimidating for me to copy+paste over there, let alone someone to read it (there's a point to this).

I got a new vignette series idea (a while ago actually)! But it's taking one of the OC's and bringing him into an AU (for those who have dabbled in the Mav-and-Bri verse, it's basically Josh/Sam adopt a baby Leo). It's a character that is inspired by that 300,000 words of previous fics, but 100% not needed to read this new "timeline". The character is 100% Leo in my brain. HOWEVER. The OC Leo was originally named (and created by Mavjade) after a character in the show who died; basically the OC Leo never overlapped with the CC Leo. In this AU, however, they do overlap. And it's kinda clunky to write two characters with the same name! I tried using last names and nick names, it's just jaring me out of the writing.

So I figure I have 3 options. 1) Rename the OC - and I have a name in mind that I like, but it's still jarring in my brain.
    2) Write with the original name but then find+replace with the new name. Not the worst option but I like re reading my fics! It's going to be weird for me!
    3) Stop assuming readers dummies. Readers (should? hopefully?) know if I say "Leo was on the floor, facinated by his own toes" they will know it's the 2 year old OC, not the 50-something CC.

Another consideration for the first option is, maybe by renaming him, he will develop into a new character and direct my muse in a bit of a new direction.

Does any of this make sense?

mavjade and pronker like this.
  14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    How frustrating - could this be a place to ask for a look over of your work? https://boards.theforce.net/forums/role-playing-forum.10852/

This seems a rich "world" created and I'll bet the folks on AO3 will be jazzed to read it. If this opinion helps any, a new site to post on really does jumpstart the muse and a new name seems the way to go. Best wishes! :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  15. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Thank you for your reply. Perhaps I shouldn't have put that "requirement." It's probably caused confusion.

I took a look at the forum you recommended, but it's just a bunch of people Role Playing. They don't seem to be interested about writing. I feel as though if I posted my question, I would be interrupting their RP...

RPer 1: "He told me enough! He told me YOU killed him!!"

RPer 2: "No. I am your father."

Me: "Can someone help me with something I wrote?"

Rper 1: "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

What I needed was someone familiar with the Sith Inquisitor story line, especially with the Inquisitor's companion, the Dashade named Khem Val. If someone has played that game and were familiar with Khem Val, then the small scene I wrote would be meaningful to them, and I wanted to get their reaction to that scene.

pronker likes this.
  16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Maybe PM the mod of the forum is the best way to proceed? *ponders* I've often corresponded with Corellian_Outrider about the fanart thread. :)

17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    You might be surprised at how compatible fanfic and RP actually are. As a matter of fact, RPs and Round Robin stories are really not very far removed from one another. Perhaps you could try asking in the general social thread in Role Playing Resource.

pronker and gizkaspice like this.
  18. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Just want to add to the above that a lot of the RP posts folks write there are AMAZING and feels like a living fanfic or something. So, yeah, they absolutely are interested about writing.

pronker likes this.
  19. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    Hey so in putting together my thoughts for my alternate universe, I was wondering exactly how powerful Obiwan was in A New Hope. I get that the duel between Obiwan and Vader wasn't the best demonstration of power due to the technology at the time and also because Obiwan ultimately let Vader win. How evenly matched would you say Obiwan and Vader were at the time of their final duel? Was one really more powerful than the other?

People say that Obiwan was weaker due to his old age, but I am finding that hard to buy. Obiwan was 57 years old by the time of Episode 4. Dooku was 83 years old when he died and he was still considered one of the most powerful force users and one of the best lightsaber duelists in the galaxy at the time. Mace Windu was 53 years old when he died and he was able to hold his own in a duel with Darth Sidious. In Rebels, Obiwan was able to kill Maul in three moves, although it could be attributed to their long history with each other. Granted, the fan video Scene 38 Reimagined did a great job at showing how the duel between Obiwan and Vader could've played out if the technology allowed it. Considering Obiwan's considerable wisdom and knowledge that would've increased during the gap between Episodes 3 and 4, would it be reasonable to say that Obiwan had become more powerful than the likes of Mace and Dooku by the time of A New Hope?

pronker likes this.
  20. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    I remember how surprised Vader was after defeating Obiwan. He had to step on his emptied robes, searching for Obiwan's remains. My feeling was that Obiwan was never there, but that he was able to manifest a physical body even though he was long dead. Also, remember in Dooku and Yoda's battle, Yoda needed a cane to walk around. But when he battled Dooku, he was ricocheting all over the place, making Dooku break a sweat, same with Yoda's fight with Darth Sidious.

To me it seemed that Yoda used The Force to augment his movements and reflexes. Obiwan could have done the same in his fight with Vader. I think it comes down to who had greater knowledge and control of The Force. Vader could command great powerful strikes, and had brutally powerful control of The Force. He could rip huge pieces of equipment from where ever it was bolted down and hurl it at his opponents. But Obiwan, whom I think was dead the whole time of A New Hope, was able to manifest a physical body, demonstrating that he had deeper knowledge and knew deeper secrets of The Force than Vader did. Also, remember that Darth Sidious hardly taught Vader any Force techniques, only encouraging Vader to let his hatred make him strong. Obiwan let Vader strike him down knowing that it would spur Luke into further action and guide him down a certain path - that shows that he was able to see into the future.

I think Obiwan was pretty strong, just humble and quietly unassuming. He would have succeeded in teaching Anakin Skywalker patience and calm if it wasn't for Darth Sidious' interference with his training.

That's my view of it anyway, based on the movies. I don't have knowledge of what's in the novels and comics, and I haven't played any of the games except for SWTOR.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    pronker likes this.
  21. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    I am pretty sure Obi wan was alive the whole time in Episode 4 and not a ghost pretending to be alive.

I found this youtube video that implies that Obi wan was more powerful than Vader in A New Hope: .

It is basically saying that when Vader fought Obi wan, he couldn't use any Force powers/techniques against him because Obi wan was too powerful and so he had to rely on his lightsaber combat skills. One instance that appears similar to this was in the game Fallen Order when Cal Kestis faces Vader and he tries to use the Force against him but he just brushes it off like it was nothing. What do you think of this thought of Obi wan being more powerful in the Force than Vader? I think it would be interesting how someone like Obi wan became so powerful not because of any inherited Force abilities like Vader, Yoda and Sidious but because of hard work and dedication. I get that George Lucas' analysis in the video may be outdated, but I am wondering if it could still be applicable.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    pronker and Gamiel like this.
  22. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    The reason I thought that was because, in all other scenes where Jedi have been killed, their bodies lay on the ground, severed or impaled by a lightsaber or blasted by an energy bolt from a blaster.

Obiwan's body disappeared completely, except for his robes. Even Darth Vader was deeply surprised into looking for his remains.

The only other time that I can recall where a Jedi vanished was in The Force Awakens, when we watch Luke vanish after Kylo Ren's lightsaber passes right through Luke, but then we realize that his body wasn't even physical. It was just a projection from far away. Meanwhile, back on that planet, Luke's body fades away.

So, was Luke dead, but continued his physical existence on that planet, waiting to be found? Or did he die after he was done with that projection and allowed himself to fade away, not leaving a body? Or did he fold space and traveled without moving to another part of the galaxy? (Dune reference)

EDIT:

I'm at work. I'll watch that video link when I get home, to see what was said.

pronker likes this.
  23. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    What happened to Luke was casting the projection of himself on another planet so far away caused him to overexert himself and he died from it.

Obiwan and Luke weren't the only ones whose bodies faded away after death. Yoda's body disappeared when he died in Return of the Jedi. Also Ben Solo's body disappeared after he sacrificed himself to save Rey in Rise of Skywalker.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    O.K.... I watched the video...

In my opinion it seems that George and his 'writer' were trying to plug plot holes with that conversation. There were inconsistencies, and those plot holes had to be covered. That's what that conversation was about - in my opinion.

This video asks how would the Vader/Luke battle gone if Vader used Force Lightning. However, I remember a video this guy did, (or maybe it was another guy) years ago that said Vader couldn't use Force Lightning because Vader was practically 90% electronic-cyborg... He would have fried his own circuits... That's the excuse that was used to explain why Vader couldn't use Force Lightning.

Now, here he is saying that it was because Obiwan was too strong... If that was the case, then ObiWan should have not only destroyed Vader, but he should have been strong enough to defeat or at least help Luke to challenge the Emperor - Darth Sidious.

I know I used Luke fading away in The Force Awakens in my argument earlier... However, to be honest, I don't consider Darth Disney's take on the Star Wars Universe to be valid. They completely did away with the traditional view of Star Wars and The Force - as established by hundreds of novels, comics, and video games - replacing those with Darth Wokeness' view of Star Wars.

The Force Awakens was the last Star Wars movie I had ever watched. As such, I cannot accept Darth Mickey's Star Wars as legitimate. Darth Kathleen Kennedy has destroyed Star Wars - forever - in my view.

Therefore, we have to come back to the question.

Obi-Wan Kenobi had been dead for a long while, yet he kept his physical existence. People saw, felt and touched him. He ate food and drank water. However, when he had trained Luke to a point, and when he wanted to set Luke up for he next training regime under Yoda, Obi-wan LET Vader "kill him" and made sure Luke saw it...

pronker likes this.
  25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Excellent question and after watching the vid posted@};-, I feel enlightened by the statement "lots of the battle took place in the Force." Before this epiphany, I'd considered that Vader and Obi-Wan physically had changed since their last encounter, Obi-Wan due to age and sorrow over the loss of his whole support system and Vader due to his being ripped apart and slapped back together again with cybernetics (cybernetics not having midichlorians). After this epiphany, it seems to me that Obi-Wan almost played with Vader with no thought of surviving ("oh he's not dead - not yet - he's me!" as he says to Luke early in ANH) much less winning. That's the physical part of the scene because the emotional part slam dunks this viewer every time I consider that Obi-Wan lost Qui-Gon to death but he lost Anakin to betrayal, which to me is worse. He's one tough old bird to have survived to 58 and if 'tough' means 'more powerful than Mace and Dooku' I'd say yeah because they'd not faced such personal happenings; Dooku would come closest because he seems deeply affected by Qui-Gon's fate ("I miss his counsel" [paraphrased]).