main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Killer lake OC extreme environment challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by earlybird-obi-wan, Jul 6, 2021.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Killer lake OC extreme environment challenge

Author: Earlybird-obi-wan
    Timeframe: Legends: beyond
    Genre: OC challenge extreme environment
    Characters: OC's Kaagi Adin and Soron Adameh
    Time-frame 139 ABY
    Note: more will be revealed in my story Second time around

Killer lake

“Soron, a few more minutes and we are there.” Kaagi used the com in his helmet. He was like his companion dressed in a suit that protected him from the environment he was about to enter.

A snow-capped mountain was visible in the distance for the two men in their air-speeder with callsign NH 40.

The mountain was the dormant volcano mount Moniron, the name-giver of the planet since the Dunai elder discovered it after being evacuated from their doomed world Dunai by the Sheir-Irel. Close to the mountain was a rock and crevasse streaked wilderness with another dormant volcano and a valley with a murky lake.

The valley was known as the Darrin valley. Rakata had landed there 30.000 years ago on the edge of a large lake in shuttles coming from one of their capital ships with a hyperdrive powered by the Force. The landing was difficult because the Darrin attacked immediately. It was the main nesting ground of the reptilian species with vicious claws and wings. One of the shuttles crashed. But the Rakata didn't care and didn't bury their dead. They killed the Darrin with their weapons guided by the dark side of the Force and wondered why this wasn't as easy as they expected. Waves of uneasy feelings had the Rakata collecting the eggs and leaving. A dormant volcano became active. Lava-flows burried the Darrin corpses and the Rakata shuttle. The large lake was filled with cooling lava.

The last cool period in the history of Moniron had the glaciers on the mountains growing. The frequent volcanic action created new faults and streams gouging deep canyons in the former nesting ground. Bones of the Darrin became exposed, debris was carried by the flowing water towards the lava covered valley. A murky lake began to form and the minerals – responsible for the suppression of the Force – were deposited in the lake and on the shores.

Succulents known as Darweed with sickly looking leaves adorned with pink flowers and purple fruits were growing on the shores and along the stream that originated in the lake. The seeds could be used to make a mind-influencing drug affecting Force-users only. The drug had been used recently by a woman and her friend before they made their escape from Moniron in a stolen transport.

- - -

Kaagi had the airspeeder headed towards the lake. He guided the airspeeder down to a flat stretch of rock near the lake and had a smile on his face.

“You did that on purpose.” Soron saw pieces of a succulent flying every which way.

“Yes, destruction of the flowers of evil is my goal.” Kaagi powered the airspeeder down and removed the hose leading to the air-supply in the back of the craft. “My air-tank registers 98%. It is enough to collect the draxin.”

Soron checked his air-tank and exited the speeder on his side. He took a scanning device and passed it over Kaagi's suit. “Your suit is airtight and mine too.” He helped Kaagi to his feet and guided him to the edge of the lake after connecting him to a safety-rope. “In you go and be back before the weather gets ugly. Here is the fist sack from ten.”

Kaagi eased into the water and took the offered sack that was connected with a rope to the strut of the airspeeder. Giving a thumb-up he disappeared beneath the murky surface, carefully avoiding rocks and lava-glass and descending two meters towards the bottom and began to collect rocks containing draxin. A tug at the rope. The sack travelled up and another came down.

- - -

“This is the last one Kaagi.”

“I know.” Kaagi was feeling the strain of the Force suppressing environment and the discomfort of his suit that protected him from the minerals that could destroy his midichlorians. Despite the water flowing through the tubes of the system in his suit to cool him down he was feeling the sweat covering his body and the inner layer of his suit. His helmet was fogging up. He had explored quite a stretch of the lake when he reached for a promising piece of rock and tugged.

The rock came loose and dislodged a piece of lava-glass.

He could avoid the lava-glass and collected the rock. And clutching the bag in his hands he started to swim. Breaking the surface he saw.

A rock-slide was coming towards him. A large rock hit the faceplate of his helmet. “Soron!”

- - -

Soron was stashing the sacks in a durasteel container that was attached to the strut when he heard the cry. He tugged at the safety-rope, bringing Kaagi to the shore and saw the destroyed faceplate and the murky mud and water covering Kaagi's face.

“The lake didn't kill me but I have dieing midichlorians.” Kaagi grumbled with a weak voice. “You have to fly us back to Noranan.”

Soron helped Kaagi in the passenger-seat, closed the durasteel container with the precious cargo and headed to the pilot-seat. A brief inspection with the scanner revealed that his suit was airtight. He connected his suit to the tank and started the engine. He took the air-speeder up and felt the Force returning when he passed mount Moniron on a heading towards Noranan.

2. mayo_durron_666

mayo_durron_666 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 26, 2005
    Interesting environment, with minerals that can suppress the Force and seeds which can create a drug to influence Force-users. [face_thinking] A dangerous place for any Force-user and a destination I'm sure their enemies would love to take advantage of, think of the damage they could do with those kind of resources. [face_worried]
    I hope Kaagi recovers fast and doesn't lose any Force abilities/sensitivity.
    Look forward to reading more. :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Great descriptions of a very unfriendly and hostile environment! Curious to know what exactly attracted the Rakata to visiting this world in the past.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent summary of the origin of the lake to avoid :eek: That was definitely unexpected since they were suited up properly. Rock slides are unpredictable.

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Lovely world building premise and really neat idea of the entire lake as well. Poor Kaagi. Hopefully his midichlorians can be revived.

Kahara and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  6. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    Is this material used in making Force Suppression Manacles?

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, really intriguing environment you've created here, especially with the suppression of the Force! Somehow it's not surprising to hear that the Rakata were behind it somehow. I could see that making a really weird, uncomfortable feeling for Kaagi, especially on top of all the heavy, uncomfortable-sounding protective gear he had to wear, even before the rockslide! Very fortunate that Soron was with him to get him out—I do hope he'll be OK and that he didn't lose too many midichlorians. Looking forward to seeing how this will continue—thanks so much for sharing this with the challenge! =D=

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Previous stories have dealt with Moniron becoming unknown to the rest of the galaxy. In the flowers of evil two women managed to get away with the seeds. 'The perils of draxin collecting' for the Olympics decathlon involves the killer lake. In my fic Second time around' is revealed more. Chapter 26 and what follows is revealing Kaagi's recovery.
    Domination of the galaxy. The united Dunai elder tribes prevented the Rakata to settle.
    and can do harm
    He will have treatment to get rid of the dead midichlorians
    No it is used by healers dealing with Force sensitives.
    Kaagi will be OK as seen in 'Second time around.'

Kahara, Kit', gizkaspice and 2 others like this.
  9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Previous stories have dealt with Moniron becoming unknown to the rest of the galaxy. In the flowers of evil two women managed to get away with the seeds.

I remember! Yeah. Memory vault intact. Yeah! :D

10. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Great work! This is definitely an extreme, dangerous environment for someone who's Force-sensitive. We see the advantages to using the Buddy System when Soron needs to help Kaagi after the rockslide - it was smart of them to go together. I like the unique history on the area and how it led to being so dangerous for Force-sensitives. Great job!