main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Ponder the Question" Marvel's 'What If...?' [Disney+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh. I missed/forgot that. :p I thought it was a particularly bulky member of the Groot race and eating/breathing in those spores caused him to grow uncontrollably.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    So that would mean that in this alt timeline, obviously Rogers is/was Captain America and that we shouldn't expect T'Challa Starlord to ever meet up with Captain Carter.

Juliet316 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Remember that this episode is set in 2008- two years before Cap is unfrozen. And several years before Hela returned.

What I think must have happened is that either The Collector or someone on his behalf (or through a middleman that sold it to him) found Cap's crash site early and retrieved the shield. This may have occurred because of no Thanos interfering with this theoretical individual.

As for the Asgardian items- something serious must have happened to Asgard in a butterfly effect, since you'd need Odin to die in order to unleash Hela. Early Ragnarok, Surtur kills Hela before she destroys the hammer. Perhaps the empowered Collector lead an assault on them, since he knew them and likely knew of notable trinkets in Odin's vault.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Looks at my previous post and yours. Falls off computer chair...dead. [face_skull]

Why?

Bad date...

Apologies to Sallah for screwing up his punchline to Indy. :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So I have never watched guardians of the galaxy.

yet this episode worked so much better than the last. Like so much better. I know the general plot of both the guardian movies but it’s because the plot diverges so much that I think it works way better

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    What do you think is the word on Gamora? As I mentioned before, it's probably safe to assume that she never met Thanos in the first place; but does that mean that her overall story in that timeline is probably as insignificant as Rocket's, Groot's and Drax's is?

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Another thing that was enjoyable was seeing

Djimon Hinsou as a comical fanboy instead of “The Heavy” he normally plays.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, literally everyone online I've seen has said "he needs to do more comedy VO work, like immediately"...

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    As I was saying about the biggest shock moment of the latest episode.

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    After being pretty nonplussed by the first episode this second one was just fantastic. Obviously Chadwick's last ride was gonna be emotional, but it means quite a lot that it's an outing that has so much fun with the premise, his performance itself is winning and meaningful and there's so many great character moments for everyone involved here. With the trailer and the last episode I was worried that the voice acting wasn't going to work out but everyone in this ep brought it fully. Brolin having a great time being Thanos and Djimon Honsou are my highlights.

Stellar. When I heard "What if....T'Challa was Star Lord?" I thought it had little merit. I've never been happier to be wrong.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    It occurs to me that…

if T’Challa flips Thanos, there’s no “Snappening.” No Snap, no dead Tony Stark, no dead Black Widow, and as of this week’s trailer, the Eternals stay hidden; since the “unsnap” is the chain reaction which releases the Deviants. Also, no Kang the Conqueror, since Loki’s “Variance” is what leads to He Who Remain’s death.

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    =D= And no
    old Cap.

Though it looks like
    Ego will successfully recruit Peter
    in this timeline.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, let's also be honest...
    Dead Cap, Thor, Hela, probably all of Asgard, etc. -- so we don't know what that means for Tony, Banner, Widow, etc...

14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Agree. I rewatched this today (the first MCU thing I've rewatched since The Falcon and the Winter Soldier,
    and I loved Djimon getting a chance to play a comedic foil. He was adorable.)

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah about the Collector and Ego

I was wondering the Collector is clearly more powerful this time around, not just exaggerated animation but looks actually more powerful and his stash is huge. So there's basically two butterfly effects I can see here. Somehow non-mass killer Thanos means that it led to Collector getting all his gear and the Black Order, which they probably got a bunch of stuff for him. Or the other big butterfly effect I could see happening is Prime Peter Quill/Ravagers somehow stole a critical widget or effected something that meant that Collector didn't get the aforementioned critical widget and then became Uber-Collector. I'd like to think it's the latter, because Quill was "small, good for thieving."

this could basically be what the Collector wants to be overall, his stash and personal power so huge. But it was great to see his slave be the one who turns around on him in the end, in both realities she has some sort of final revenge but this one left her alive.

As for the very last scene, I think the Watcher straight up said it could mean the end of the world, any maybe a bunch of worlds, if Ego is able to turn Peter. Although you'd figure that Ego would have killed his mother in this timeline then Peter's reaction would still be the same "You shouldn't have killed my mom and squished my walkman!"

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But in this timeline, Peter wouldn’t have the other Guardians to help him blow up Ego. So Ego would just drain Peter’s energy once Peter resisted and begin the expansion unopposed. End of universe.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I've watched the first two episodes and while mostly plausible what ifs, I take issue with two things:

1. The Army wouldn't have kept Rogers on if he didn't get the serum.
    2. Thanos being a Ravager?

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Regarding the first one, didn't Stark fit Rogers up with the Hydra Stomper not long after they recovered the Tesseract? I guess it was some time after Peggy got the serum; but maybe the army kept Rogers on for his goodness? I'm not sure.

I can't speak for Thanos as a Ravager. Guess he saw the err of his ways and maybe though it would be....fun?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanos
    was convinced by T’Challa’s Robin Hood style concepts of the distribution of wealth and necessities not to go through with his plan. It emphasizes the immense goodness T’Challa embodies, and how he can influence almost anyone into doing things for the greater good. It’s a lovely What If...? that subverts T’Chaka’s grim outlook.

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    From comicbook.com via Screenrant, Kevin Feige says What If...? Season 2 will include
    Phase 4 movies. He also addresses the state of the Avengers right now.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Slightly altered CC Funko available at Gamestop (as an "exclusive). I'm thinking of getting it there as I already have a $5 off coupon.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ok not quite as good as the first two but really what is, honestly now. This was a bit of classic What If style story and a good mystery.

Murder mystery that is. Sometimes What If issues are basically "What If ____ Died" and this is like basically the entire Avenger roster. Starting with Nat killing Stark when he was injected. Also a whole lot of good lines and references to Phase 1 movies and we finally get Mark Ruffalo Incredible Hulk! And he exploded! Also super mega double spoilers

Freaking Hank Pym Yellowjacket behind it! Goes to show yes the Ant-Man technology could be the most deadly weapon ever. Honestly I thought it was going to be Ghost but Pym killer Yellowknife yikes! And Loki/Fury taking him down was incredible. And then Loki took over Earth anyway!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Meh. Great to hear
    Samuel L. Jackson and Jeremy Renner, but this episode was not my cup of mead.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 and Sarge like this.
  24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah. I thought today's episode was a big, old ... "ok". SO, three episodes, and I'd call them "good", "great", and "fine". I do appreciate how
    the episodes have all been different in how they've handled the point of divergence. Captain Carter was a single point of change that then basically mirrored an entire movie, which worked for that story. Star-Lord T'Challa was an entirely new story born out of that point of divergence. And now the "who dun it to the Avengers" episode basically erases ... Phase 1.

I did think the episode had some high marks, though. For instance
    how they killed Hulk. Almost felt like a mini-nod to the "Ant-Man up the butt of Thanos" theory". And I like how Loki used the death of his brother as his lie to come to the planet and conquer it.

Jedi Merkurian , Ghost and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Not as interesting as the first two, IMO. The animation seemed a lot more stiff, not so dynamic in the action sequences. Still had some good lines, mostly repeats of old lines taken in a new context.

Master_Lok likes this.