main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Climate change (I know this isnt the exact answer to your question but it's the answer to what you are wondering). Sure hurricanes were common occurrences when New Orleans was established as a port city... but hurricanes weren't what they are now (they have gotten so much worse due to warming oceans). I'm no climate historian but what we would call "category 5" hurricanes were probably very rare... now they happen like every season.

I hope everyone in the path stays safe. COVID certainly isnt helping the situation.

I did positively nothing yesterday and it was wonderful. But now I got to clean my condo (it's either spend like 90 mins doing it today or 4 hours if I leave it till next weekend. But I'm just in the mood to create - I want to write to write or paint or sew. This mood has been so rare for me.

Nehru_Amidala and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    That makes sense. The average elevation of New Orleans is only about a foot below sea level, so maybe it used to be (barely) above sea level and global warming has melted enough glaciers to raise the sea level a bit. I don't know anything about historical changes to sea level, so this is just a wild guess.

Kinda my mood. I also did positively nothing yesterday with regard to schoolwork. But I have a combinatorics assignment due Friday and independent study work that needs to be completed by Tuesday, along with an assignment for my capstone course due Thursday. I also have to pack for next weekend and make sure I'm not behind on assignments like I currently am because that will be three days with little or no work getting done (I will take my Chromebook with me on the trip but internet access at the campsite is not guaranteed, plus I'll have more important things to do and experience ;)).

I *should* be spending today doing schoolwork, but I don't really wanna. :p I want to relax instead. I'm also too pissed off about the Formula 1 race today to care about much else (basically they ran two laps behind the safety car, decided it was raining too hard for a safe race, stopped the race, tried again a couple hours later, decided it wasn't going to happen, called the race, and awarded half points to the field despite never actually going green and permitting overtaking, because technically three laps were completed and that's all you need for an official "race" in F1).

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, that's probably part of it too.

I'm just annoyed with myself and other things too. I haven't really started to tidy up yet (it's now past 6:30). I've spent all day trying to alter my new wheelchair. Basically it’s easier for me if my seat back is low… but on this brand of chair, it also means the push handles are super low. So when able-bodied people push me, they have to bend over. I have my long adjustable push handles off my older wheelchair but unfortunately, the mounting brackets will not budge off my old wheelchair (they must have put them on with a power drill). I thought I could MacGyver a way to attach the old push handles to my new wheelchair but most of the things I tried didn't (and the one thing that might work I need a part for - thankfully its super cheap so I might as well try it, but unfortunately its going to be a few weeks to ship it). I have one more thing to try (if can find the part - if it's not down in the toolbox in my car, I dont know where it is) then I'm giving up.

If it dosent work, I have to decide if I'm going to bring my new wheelchair travelling with me when I go home in two weeks and just deal with grumbing airport people... or bring my old wheelchair... which does have the advantage of "if the airline breaks it, I wont really care".

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Gamiel likes this.
  4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I just bade my church choir and friends farewell until at least November so I can avoid exposures on weekends. I’ll still be watching by internet as I did for 14 months, but many people are totally fine with “I had it and you’re vaccinated. There’s no such thing as the pandemic anymore.” I doubted myself until one of the tenors “covered his cough” by turning away from the choir director and singers and coughed on me instead today.

My AC that I just got in July has broken with what is apparently a common problem with that brand and the company has no solution for it that we can find. So I’m returning it and am tempted to just buy plane tickets somewhere remote with the money. I’ll probably just pay another month’s rent instead, since I’m already paid through November.

amidalachick likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    First day back to university for me. Had to go up earlier than I'm used to to catch the right train, that in itself was not a problem, what was a problem was that I have constantly awoken wondering if I had missed my alarm, followed by me trying to go back to sleep.
    So I'm a bit tired right now , hop it will not affect me to much during the day

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Best of luck. And I have those anxieties about oversleeping a lot.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugggghhh. I have this issue too. Usually if I have to get up at an unusual time I have to be well rested, however my brain is so worried about sleeping in, it will wake me up long before my alarms.

I am feeling so burned out right now. Today is part of my weekend so I'd like to get something accomplished and if I spent a bit of time at it, I could probably get my condo fairly tidy (which would be nice since I am going away twice in September so I really won't have much time for cleaning). But I woke up this morning with low blood sugar and I still feel shaky and gross and like I just want to curl up and watch a movie.

8. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ Do I know what that's like. Had to stay home today from work because of a lost voice and a pending COVID test.

In other news, I am about to make SW fanfiction history! Why? Because my next story is probably have the only pairing of its kind of existance. MWHAHAHAHA! ;)

amidalachick and DarthIshtar like this.
  9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    If it’s Jar-Jar and Palpatine, I did that for Halloween about a decade ago.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  10. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Nope, Grand Admiral Thrawn and Jaina Solo. Writing chapter numero uno as I type this.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, that’s an interesting approach.

12. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I just hope it gets read and feedback. :)

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'd say the airport people can deal with it for the short time, though the number of people I've seen talk about how airlines have broken their wheelchairs, I can understand not wanting to risk it too.

That's terrible! I'm sure that was a really hard choice to make, but sounds like the right one. I'm sorry you had to do that! [:D]
    I just found out my sister is unvaccinated and has been visiting my over 65 parents, one of which has a multitude of health conditions, and her under 5 grandchildren. I'm pretty furious about it.

This is me any time I have to wake up at a specific time. I currently set two alarms, one on my watch that is vibrate only so it doesn't scare the life out of me, the second is set on my phone a few minutes after. It doesn't completely make it go away for me, but I've found having the two alarms on different things helps.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    amidalachick and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  14. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've been pretty lucky when it has come to my wheelchair and airlines. It's normally just cosmetic or my brakes that have been twisted out of line that I can adjust with an Allen key. Only once did they break it to the point of me having to go to the repair people (and of course it was on my way to a destination so I had to zip-tie a temporary fix) and once they lost it on a layover. Yeah, I was so mad I started crying uncontrollably. Thankfully I was on a band trip and hell knows no fury like a bunch of teenagers whose friend's wheelchair is lost. The airport found it pretty quick. (Now these memories are triggering plot bunnies!).

And yeah, it's rather pathetic that my track record is considered "pretty lucky".

So yeah, my new wheelchair is so much nicer for me to use... but I'm seriously considering pulling my old one out of my storage locker (as much of a pain in the butt it would be to get it). So not quite sure which one to use.

That's terrible and of course you are furious about it! I am slowly cutting out people in my life who aren't vaccinated (without reason). I'll welcome them back for hugs once they've come to their senses.

I managed to clean my condo! With the mental funk I've been in, it feels like a major victory.

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I had to go to Philadelphia again today for a meeting and due to unforeseen circumstances, I didn't have anything to do. We were supposed to meet with a team of doctors so I could give them a demo and let them get some hands on time with the product, but they were having a very busy day and couldn't make it. I 100% understand and don't blame them in the slightest, patient care always comes first. But to me it's a point that shows having such big territories doesn't really work. I drove almost 5 hours round trip for no reason. If it had been an hour or two, fine, it happens, but 5?

Hi Nehru! I hope you are doing well!

It really is. I understand accidents can happen, but you'd think they'd be extra careful with things that people need to live their lives. And how did they lose your wheelchair?!! Don't they gate check them?

Same. My sister was talking about coming to visit us (not directly to me, but with my mom) and I said not until she's fully vaccinated. You can't do anything in NYC without being vaccinated any way, all of the restaurants, theaters (movies and Broadway... when it reopens), museums, etc. all have to have proof of vaccination to go into.

amidalachick likes this.
  17. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I have been at home this week due to a pending COVID test, and I am trying my hand at writing a romance between Jaina Solo and Grand Admiral Thrawn.

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm sorry to hear about the pending COVID test, I hope it's negative! There's been something going around here causing general sickness (fever, aches, etc.) but isn't COVID. Writing unusual 'ships is always a fun adventure!

19. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    That it is. And once again, Sailor Moon provides the best soundtrack.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugh! That is so annoying! Totally understandable on the doctors' end but it still sucks to feel like you spent your day driving for no good reason.

Yeah, I understand accidents but sometimes people really just have no idea how expensive wheelchairs are. I do gate-check my wheelchair, but for some reason, someone didn't look at the gate tag and just loaded it up with the rest of the luggage to be sorted and then put on the next flight I was on :rolleyes: (which is just ridiculous - most people who fly with wheelchairs need them for their layover).

I am currently on the verge of quitting my job. I had to fight to get a meeting regarding my role (which will be on Thursday) and other stuff has been really getting on my nerves. I'm going to do some job hunting but there's not much to hunt through. I am fortunate that I dont need the job for the money but if it is a while till I get my next opportunity, a huge blank on my resume doesn't look great. I'm going to see how I feel after I return home from my trip before I decide for sure.

amidalachick likes this.
  21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I once wrote a long-distance romance between Wes Janson and Ysanne Isard where they were both playing each other's side of the war against each other with flirting. Unusual 'ships are often fun.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I found a brand of face mask that fits me so well and doesn't fog up my glasses... so I ordered 3 more of them. Not necessarily my style - they are very florally. I don't mind a good vintage floral or a damask pattern... but these are more like 1990s grandma floral. I picked out the best of what they had, plus they were on sale. I'm really hoping I went overboard with buying 3 more... but I'm not optimistic :rolleyes:. They are rolling out vaccine passports here (which I 100% agree with... not that I do many of the things they are required for like movie theatres, concerts, etc... the only reason I might need to use it will be if I decide to eat at a restaurant), and there were mass protests.

Also, not sure if it's because this summer was particularly awful but my brain is in 100% autumn mode already. Give me sweaters and tea and candles and all the spooky Halloween decorations (and I'm not even into Halloween at all normally). What is up with me?

mavjade and amidalachick like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    5.35 billion doses have been given of Covid that’s amazing

mavjade likes this.
  24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I hope that's of the COVID vaccines and not of COVID itself.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep. Who knows how many have actually gotten the virus.

jcgoble3 likes this.