main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    My 12yo nephew went to the pharmacy on his birthday yesterday and asked for the vaccine, then sent a pic of his card. Since his mom is the best friend who works on clinical trials, I’m so proud that he read up on the science, got informed, and acted on what he understood.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He’s smarter than many adults

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    While getting educated, he asked his scientist mother why so many people didn’t believe the science. That’s what I want to know as well. But the mom is the one who, when I was concerned about the vaccine in December, took a chunk of our drive from Florida to Massachusetts and answered all of my questions and helped me make informed decisions. Not everyone has a Jess in their life, but the information I was given is all out there for people to study.

4. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    My dad's a lost cause but mom and brother who had some concerns and weren't going to get vaccinated both changed their minds and got their first doses this week. I'm so happy and so relieved that they decided to do it.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s great! And hey you can’t convince everyone just hope your dad doesn’t get the virus

AzureAngel2 and amidalachick like this.
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    So I have some news... dp and I are expecting a little padawan. I won't bore you guys with the details but it's been a several years long road to get here and even once I was pregnant things have been quite stressful, but I had my 20 week anatomy scan today and everything looked good. We're very excited.

Same (except that I always love Halloween)! This morning it was my perfect weather, wearing shorts but need a hoodie and I was so happy. Bring on the apple cider and warm comfy clothes!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s amazing! Congrats! Sorry I don’t know what else to say. But seriously congrats!

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  8. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @mavjade OMG congratulations to you and dp! That is such awesome news! So happy for you and wishing you all the best! [:D]

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congratulations again!!!

Yesssss. It was really rainy earlier this week and I was so happy to be wearing sweatpants. Unfortunately its beginning to warm up again (it's supposed to hit 30C/86F early next week) so as much as I am ready to burrow in, I think summer isn't finished quite yet.

mavjade and AzureAngel2 like this.
  10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Fantastic, Mav!

Its far from sweater weather here, but I got a very cool jacket while shopping tonight.

11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Congraaaaats @mavjade! [:D] [:D] [:D] Now sit back and enjoy the ride. The next 20 years are going to be wild :p

12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Congratulations Mav! Yay!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavjade and AzureAngel2 like this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Congratulations @mavjade
    No sweater weather here today and next week. And that's great with the F1 here in Zandvoort with many spectators coming to see Max

14. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Congratulations @mavjade . Sweather weather in spades in Northern Norway (visiting family). Just crossing fingers that snow won't come until I'm over the mountains on my way back south...

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you everyone! [:D]

Hahah... true! My sister apparently said "this baby isn't going to change our lives at all!" when she was pregnant and so my dad keeps sarcastically saying that to me. I tell him, those words have never, nor will they ever come out of my mouth.

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Congrats Mav!

I'm sitting in a tent at the ACE Adventure Resort in West Virginia getting ready to go to sleep. We have to check in for rafting at 7:30am. And somebody at a nearby campsite has a barking dog after quiet hours. Kriff that person.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Went whitewater rafting today on the Middle and Lower New River and had the most fun I've ever had in my life! We had a few "oh ****" moments, but always followed by an "oh YEAH!" a few seconds later. Despite a light load in our boat (four people plus the guide) and the fact that we were back-loaded in a smaller raft, we didn't flip and nobody in our boat fell out.

We had an amazing guide in our raft; the guy was a database manager for Blockbuster Video for a while, until he had a mid-life crisis in 2003 and moved to West Virginia to become a river guide. He did that for 17 years and retired at the end of last year, but they coaxed him to come back this weekend to help on the busiest weekend of the year. He and our group connected really well and we quickly developed an excellent rapport with him. In the quieter sections, he taught us a lot about history of the gorge, including the area's coal mining and geological past. Afterwards, since his weekend was done, he hung out with us at the bar and grille style restaurant on premises and we swapped stories for two hours. We heard about some of his best and worst moments on the river, and it was an awesome time.

I did take a waterproof camera with me and got a few photos (under the spoiler):

Me waiting on the bus to the put-in spot:
    [​IMG]

Taking in the scenery during a long flat section:
    [​IMG]

Rapids ahead:
    [​IMG]

The guide used my camera to take a group photo of us near the famous bridge:
    [​IMG]

Soon, I'll buy the complete photo/video package to get the action shots of us actually in the rapids.

Chyntuck, mavjade and amidalachick like this.
  19. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Great pictures and glad to hear you're having a good time! :) That all sounds amazing, and the scenery looks beautiful!

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    @jcgoble3 That's awesome and looks like so much fun! Glad you had the time of your life. You really deserve it!

So speaking of outdoor adventures, I won a long-standing (and epically inconsequential) victory today! I HATE nylon (or any really slippery or smooth fabric that makes a weird noise when rubbed - I cant stand silk), it's liked nails on a chalkboard for me. It's a sensory thing but even just touching it (particularly really cheap stuff) sends (bad) shivers down my spine. In some situations, I can handle it, but sleeping bags are the WORST. The odd time I go camping, I look for a sleeping bag, but EVERYTHING available would have a nylon outer - I would find the odd one with a canvas outer on military surplus websites but they were always so expensive for shipping or not available, and then just figure "when am I ever going to go camping again," and resign myself to packing a ton of blankets (SUPER annoying but it works). Then the following year I'd be invited to go camping or something again, think, "Oh no, I should have just spent the money last year, then look again and the cycle would continue. BUT NOT THIS TIME.

I found a "heritage collection" by a camping company with flannel on the inside and canvas on the outside. Reasonably priced - about mid-level, more than I should have given how rare I'll use it, but it wasn't too ridiculous. It was available in town so I had my sister go pick it up for me and it is really nice! Not sure exactly if I will use it ever after this trip... but I say that every time.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd be down for a good sleeping bag right now. The university provided all the camping equipment, but the sleeping pads they brought are not really soft at all, and the sleeping bags are rated for 20°F and so are way too hot for a 65°F night. Last night I used the unrolled sleeping bag as a mattress and it did squat because it felt like I was laying directly on the hard ground all night and so I got very little sleep. I have to deal with that again tonight, but I'm so exhausted that I'll probably just pass out tonight despite the hardness.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh no! That sucks! I figured I would rather play it safe than be too cold on any camping trip, so I went with a -10° rating (I'll be in an unheated cabin, but it shouldnt be too cold and I cant see myself sleeping in anything colder than that on any future trips). Maybe I should have gone with the 0° but I figure I can just unzip it if I get too hot.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Chyntuck, amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    We have a few nice days here with yesterday a very nice event for 70.000 spectators watching Max Verstappen win on the Zandvoort circuit. We could even hear the F1 roar here in Wijk aan Zee

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm glad you had such a great time @jcgoble3 ! I'm always so happy when people get to see how beautiful southern WV is. Those are awesome pictures and what a beautiful view of the bridge!

Bri- When I was young we had a sleeping bag like that and it was the best thing ever. So warm, but I also never felt too hot when it was warmer out. The one I have now is pretty crappy, it supposed to be rated for 40 degrees but when I used it on a 50 degree night I about froze to death. And I agree about the noise of the nylon, while it's not that bad to me it does annoy me quite a lot.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I am back home (have been for 8 hours) and am downloading the professional action shots now. I do have to go to bed fairly early since I have an 8am class tomorrow, so I probably won't be able to share them tonight, but I will drop the link here within the next few days once I re-orient myself to school.