main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Kotor? remake? is? probably? (not?) happening?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@VexedAtVohai

I mean if this is a ground up remaking how easy or hard or even if you wanna incorpate current lore into this era.

On the one hand, it doesn't have to worry about any story beats because it's 4000 years in the past.

On the other other KOTOR 1 is built upon the foundations of Tales of the Jedi from Korriban, Naga Sadow and Exar Kun, so if this is pure legends then it won't have to worry about those things and stay the course.

If they are being ambiguous we don't have a "Sith Species" (i think) and who knows if the Tales of the Jedi era of Canon panned out the way we know it did in Legends.

Then of course will one have mentions of Exegol and Jeddah and Cross Guard sabers.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I do worry for this if means, we cant go old republic for movies and tv shows if this looks different from the kotor remake. Will No canon stories be made close to this time.

3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Awesome that we finally got confirmation :cool:

I really don't see anything in that trailer that even remotely hints at Revan's gender though. The figure is extensively cloaked and surrounded by fog, giving no clear sight of the body. And beyond that all you hear is Jennifer Hale's voice as Bastila.

If they bring this into canon, they might have some pre-defined choice for characters, but that doesn't mean that the game won't still let you customize things the way you want. And if they keep it as legends, it won't have any "true" version in any way.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010

I knew it!

I always recognize her voice.

(Okay, except for that time she actually sat next to me at an SDCC 2013 panel and we were only whispering jokes to each other until a guest at the panel announced she was in the room, and she then stood up. That time doesn't... doesn't count.)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

IT seems it Will be canon.

6. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    That tweet just means we're back at square one. We know nothing more than we did before that StarWars.com article was posted.

Slater and Huncrweo like this.
  7. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Oh come on! A remake?

I know that story.

I don't need a couple billion extra pixels to tell the same story.

I can dust off the Xbox and play the original right now. You can play the original on Xbox live right now.

So is this just targeting the "Sony Loyal"?

Just stumped...if you are gonna rebuild it from the ground up...don't tell the same story.

I don't want the star forge, or the star maps, or the enclave again. Been there, done that.

Riv_Shiel, AusStig and silentfault like this.
  8. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    Eh, it won't be exactly the same, if the rumors of it being a canon game end up being true, but I kinda agree with you.
    I'd rather have the Mandalorian Wars game, now that would be cool. Everyone was always talking about it in KotOR 1 and especially KotOR 2, we saw its consequences, but never the actual thing.

Jedimarine likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One Q: Have you played Final Fantasy 7 Remake?

As, technically, it's the same story but....

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    No way in...

Beating the original FF7 was a journey through pain.

Final Fantasy games have zero replay value to me, if they have enough value to finish at all.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You've missed the point - you're assuming remake= the same game, I'm telling you that's really not the case.

You might as well say Resident Evil 2 is the same as Resident Evil 2 Remake - they have a lot in common but diverge quite a bit too.

For anyone who wants it, there is FF7, plus FF7R - they have a great many similarities but distinct differences too, this will likely be similar. Plus they're apparently combining the two games which will render it differently again.

Still not enough for you to be interested? OK then.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I do naturally wonder what of the story will be changed. Like not the core story obviously i think that will remain the same, but the details, the choices, the twists and turns.

That will be interesting, and also whether or not they choose to put bits of Canon Lore (Ala Exegol or Jeddah or Crossaber) in it or not.

13. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    It's just like the Republic Commando Remastered. It's cause Sony can't play the OG games, so they are making their own version.

I don't expect anything more than a remaster. The Remake will likely BE the same game.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The other aspect here is when you remake, not remaster, a game from 2003 for 2022, you are doing so while taking advantage of all the developments in gaming since then - graphics, sound, narrative, gameplay etc.

Put it this way: Lightsaber haptic combat feedback? (That's a point, need to boot up the PS5 version of J:FO, haven't tried it out yet.)
    If that was the plan, they're setting themselves up for a world of hurt by using the term remake. It conjures a rather different - and higher - set of expectations.

BigAl6ft6 and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  15. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Tom Kane voiced Vrook and to my knowledge he is still dealing with cancer. Thankfully no news of his death has been reported.

17. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    Ed Asner voiced Vrook Lamar, and he passed away.
    [​IMG]
    Tom Kane voiced Master Vandar of Yoda species.
    [​IMG]

Slater, JediFett10 and AusStig like this.
  18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I get what you are saying.

But is an extra companion or another planet to find a star map on enough to buy another game?

In some ways that is worse, because then I will blitz through hours of familiar stuff desperately seeking an "oh, that is new" moment.

Now don't get me wrong...despite my loathing of Final Fantasy...I really like games with replay value...and I replayed KOTOR and KOTORII a ridiculous number of times. To the point that I could sleepwalk most of both games in an effort to find one item or saber crystal or whatever. By the end, it was a chore.

I don't need to go through the same space for easter eggs again.

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Vthuil, Cynda and 2 others like this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Not to mention you have chance to smoothen out parts of the story that may not have worked completely the first time and update it for of course modern sensibilities.

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    My brain misrememberd the two characters. Either way, that is sad to hear!

JediFett10 and AusStig like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Suppose it really depends on how strong your memories are of the original games a long, long time later.

For some, the attraction will be that familarity - see the recent success of Mass Effect: Legendary Edition.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

For me it will be...WOW LOOK AT THOSE UPDATED GRAPHICS!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2021
  24. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Yes, they'll be making KotOR with the knowledge of what KotOR II, the comics, TOR, etc. did with the story.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For all that it is said graphics aren't everything, on PS5 in 4K HDR? They have one hell of an impact.