main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Kotor? remake? is? probably? (not?) happening?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean hey sometime the graphics can make a differnce.

Like Kingdom Hearts III on the Ps4...It is the realization of the how I always imagined in my head how the Kingdom Hearts universe should look.

I know graphics aren't everything but still....dang.

This too, unless they want to make a KOTOR 2 remake, but even so they have the benefit of hindsight now.

2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Well it is a marketing ploy to sell ps5s and get players into the playstation 'system'. They MIGHT update combat, since the combat kinda sucked in the og. But I would not expect much more than that.

I also hope this does lead to the end of SWTOR.
    Don't expect that. Think a remaster with better combat.

I expect that will depend on how well KOTORr sells.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I thought he had a stroke?

4. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    I personally don't care if it's canon or not. I'm still excited. XD

darthzac14 likes this.
  5. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    And better animations, textures, environments, music, sound, lighting, models, and dozens of other things that someone who knows more about games could list.

---

From PlayStation Blog:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Jedi Ben and TheMechanical0ne like this.
  6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    After pondering over a meal...

If we get new HK memes from it, it would be worth it.

Riv_Shiel and TheMechanical0ne like this.
  7. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Project Gizka...the KOTOR II restoration project...I wonder if those people got a reach out when this idea was hatched.

I am one of the unforgivable fans of II ahead of I.

EXILE WINS!

8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Whether it’s Legends or Canon, or “in-universe Legends” I won’t be too concerned, it won’t make it any more or less valid for me.

But I really hope they update the combat.

9. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Hypothetically... what would they need to change to avoid contradicting Canon material, if they went that route? Change some dialogue about Malachor and the Sith, maybe explain why the krayt dragon looks different (canyon krayt) or change it to the Mandalorian design, and a few other relatively minor things.

TheMechanical0ne likes this.
  10. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    Yeah, too bad the Exile is not nearly as popular. Revan is kinda like Boba Fett - looks cool, but there's barely anything to him. He was a blank slate power fantasy player avatar in KotOR 1. I think the Exile is infinitely more interesting character than Revan ever was in KotOR 1, Revan novel, or SWTOR. I think Revan got any real depth only in KotOR 2, and he was not even in that game!
    Yeah, Malachor and the whole concept of the Mandalorian Wars wouldn't work in the current canon, which is a shame, and makes the inclusion of KotOR 2 storyline impossible. Unless they change Malachor to some new planet that fulfills the same function, but I believe that will leave a bad taste in people's mouth. Lightsaber crystals are also different, I believe. You can't just go into the cave and take any random crystal. It has to be like in TCW Young Jedi arc, or in the more recent Jedi Fallen Order. I guess the Republic will be involved in the War after all, considering that is like the central storyline of KotOR. Don't know what else... Need to think about it.
    Oh, and also no Ajunta Pall ghost on Korriban. Sith can't be ghosts.

11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I hope that it remains Legends, simply because we don’t need to double-up the story across both continuities. They should do something new in this period for canon.

12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    That is market speak. Maybe they are rebuilding it, with new textures and gfx and gameplay. I also call bull on the last part, if they are changing everything else then they will butcher the story too. Oh well, at least it is a ps5 exclusive so they won't get my money for it.

@Jedi Knight Fett
    he did and isn't voice acting any more.

13. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I'm just happy we are getting this remake and i hope it's canon. But if not well i'm sure i will still enjoy it and i hope it means we can get Darth Revan in the TVC please Hasbro ?! finger's crossed we get a remake of Bounty Hunter next.

14. silentfault

Mar 5, 2021
    Eh, I'd rather have them double it up. Revan is already canon, so just adapt it as close as possible - no need for Revan to do something completely different, otherwise why canonize him at all? What's the point of remaking it for Legends continuity, KotOR already exists there. It doesn't exist in the canon continuity.

Oh, and also, reminder that the Mandalorian Neo-Crusader helmet was in TCW:
    [​IMG]

15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    What do you mean ‘maybe they are rebuilding it’? Thats what defines a remake rather than a remaster.

It’s just taking up room which could be used for a new story. If it’s the same story, why tell it twice in two separate continuities?

Riv_Shiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I know LFL is on a "everything released is canon" kick so I would say this would be the canon version of the KOTOR game. Although I doubt they'll go so far as in Legends canon and say "Yes, Revan is male and went light side at the end." I find it doubtful they'll just say "it's another version of the Legends canon".

I would say the FFVII remake doing great probably pushed this along the development chain.

Honestly, showing Revan and they needed a post-credit scene with Pazaak. Ain't KOTOR until Pazaak is not for everyone.

17. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    [​IMG]

18. silentfault

Mar 5, 2021
    It's already not going to be exactly the same, because the original story clashes with the new continuity.
    But I'd rather have everything as close as possible to the original story, at least the very meat of it, with minor adjustments where needed. Like I said, Revan is already canon, Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders are canon, and so on. I would expect the characters to stay mostly true to their motivations and events surrounding them, since they bothered to canonize exactly these characters, instead of creating new ones.
    It's also on PC.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You may have to make the tec look older

20. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I guess I don’t see the point? Why not just have it as part of the Legends continuity? What is gained by doubling it up?

Riv_Shiel, iFrankenstein and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I mean I am not 100% on them doing a full remake. I think some of it is marketing speak. Since this company did ports before.

Yeah but that would be hard and wouldn't have the NAME attached. So less reaction. If they made a brand new game.
    Forgive me for not wanting to encourage playstation to keep final fantasy 7 remaking old games.

@DarthPhilosopher
    Money. The name gets more reaction and that (they hope) will drive sales, of the game and ps5.

22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    This can just be a Legends remake, and they can make something brand new later on. If money is a concern they can make more money that way.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    The game should look quite different tech/visual wise if it was a canon remake. Judging from what we have gotten in the High Republic, it’s likely thousands of years before the films looks more different then what we got in KoToR.

I think they should keep this game Legends, I prefer the first canon Old Republic material be in film.

iFrankenstein likes this.
  24. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    The ability to put out new Revan material without being constrained by the Revan novel or TOR. Why bring back Thrawn?

I don't get the argument that you could put something else in that era. It's >100 years out of thousands, there would still be plenty of room in the timeline.

Regardless of whether it's Canon, I don't know that it can rightly be called a Legends version either, as there will surely be adjustments to the fundamental story, however slight.

25. silentfault

Mar 5, 2021
    It already is a part of Legends continuity.
    They brought Revan into canon. People expect Revan to fight the Mandalorians, becoming a Sith and attacking the Republic. That is Revan's story, and by extension KotOR's story. Revan is canon, but his story currently isn't. Disney knows KotOR is widely popular. Nobody would want or like Revan doing anything else. It would make zero sense, and likely give Disney a bad reputation.