main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Kotor? remake? is? probably? (not?) happening?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Sep 9, 2021.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Well we don't know anything about it. It could be coming into canon or it could be like the RC remaster. They will push what ever they think will drive sales. Also this company mostly does ports, so 'ground up remake' could be a stretch.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Maybe it's more like Star Wars Visions.

It could have happened we know Revan existed but the details of the story are always up for debate in universe.

3. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I really don't know what we're supposed to take from "we built it from the ground up" except that they built it from the ground up.

There's marketing and then there's outright lying.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  4. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I thought visions was canon now?

Have you heard of "No Man's Sky"? outright lying isn't new to game marketing

But even then "ground up" depends on where you put the ground. Are they going to redesign everything? Clearly not cause Reven still has his look. Will it be an RPG like the original? Where you put the 'ground' depends on these things.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I still can’t get over how hyped that teaser made me

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    They can make new material about Revan without putting KOTOR into the new continuity. Why not do something new?

Which is exactly my point.

Then why even bother bringing him into the Canon unless you’re going to tell new stories with him? It seems completely pointless to tell the same story again when you have a whole new continuity to work with. At least when they brought Thrawn back they told new stories with similar beats and themes we had seen previously.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  7. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    It means that they are making the game again, building it from scratch. Hence the term "remake".

They wouldn't put "Remake" front and centre of the logo if that wasn't what it is.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Came to this thread to share in people's gushing, got mostly posts debating about whether or not it's going to be canon. :/

...I don't know what I was expecting, really.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Revan has a very dense Legends continuity, doing this in canon lets them not have to adhere to everything that has already been told about them. Also I think they can keep Revan's identity more vague and up to the player if they make it in canon.

Anyway if the FFVII remake is any indication, and it probably is, it's basically a ground-up remake that keeps the story progression and character moments and plot but adds a whole lot of new ones.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I hope it adds alot of new ones

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Best case scenario

12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Remake can mean a lot of different things.

I think ff7 would be worst case since it cuts the plot (about) in half and still charges the same as a full game. Maybe at the end of KOTORR1 we can make it off Taris.

13. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    In the interests of making the thread a bit more like this --
    -- can you guys tell me more about your favorite memories involving this game? Getting it as a holiday or birthday gift, friends you made through the fandom surrounding it, developing a new favorite character or time period in SW because of its contents, exploring other SW media because of it,wanting to learn to code and design games because of how much of an effect it had on you, etc.?

I know I'd be pumped if a remake of one of my favorite games was announced, so I am really happy for KOTOR fans right now! Sadly I have not really kept up with gaming since... ugh, I guess since my Dreamcast era, but still I like hearing about what other people are playing and enjoying. Do any of you feel like replaying the original tonight/this week for the nostalgia factor? Because I'm thinking of replaying something on that aforementioned Dreamcast now, lol.

Dream-Thinker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    From StarWars.com:
    It's pretty unambiguous what they mean.

What does remake mean to you?

Jedi Ben and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hah, funny quip. But I doubt they'll split KOTOR in two or three. At least FFVII has a three disc structure that lent it to being split after what was Disc 1.

There's no way this is going to just be an "update the texture map, keep everything else" remake. Frankly, nobody does that anymore and then they'd just call them ports. Remakes have been quite popular lately like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy VII and they're definitely full on remakes. The same stuff happens like most of the time and then doesn't. But combat changes, narrative changes, dialogue changes they're all there. But you're getting the same story/moments in a remake that was in the original.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Red23

Red23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2015
    If it's not considered "Canon" then what's the point?

17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Ah, see that is the problem. I know what it mean to me, but I don't know what it means to them.
    I think update graphics and combat would be the best. Changing the narrative is not something I want. Because if your changing it then why keep the name ( I know why money).

iFrankenstein likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Why can’t people just be excited

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. IgnusDei

IgnusDei Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2019
    Well, I'm pretty stoked for this, but I wonder how (or even if) they'll update the gameplay?

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s from 2003 I am sure they’ll update it.

Jedi Ben and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Hype is the Enemy of the consumer.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes, however it doesn’t mean you can’t be excited. I have low expectations. I won’t pre order this as I don’t with any game

23. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    frankly, it's too early to be excited - we haven't seen anything, and we don't know anything about the game
    the game is in the earliest stages of development
    I expect it to come out in 2024, minimum

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Game has been in development for some time. I expect 2023

darthzac14 likes this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    What's the point of any of this? To enjoy it.

Riv_Shiel and Jedi Ben like this.