main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I was surprised that at some point I had actually contributed to this thread in the past, since I haven't really paid much attention to boxing in about 30 years since Mike Tyson's heyday. And in that subject, has anyone been watching the Tyson documentary (broken in two parts), Mike Tyson: Knockout? I watched the first part last week, which ended with the infamous loss to Buster Douglas in Tokyo. I have part 2 on DVR and will watch it sometime this week. Just reminiscing on Tyson's fights from the 80s brought me back for sure. Sure, these days you want to see boxers going the distance, especially if you paid to see it On Demand or in person at the fight. It was just another era seeing Tyson knocking out his opponents within the first 90 seconds of a match. Just think of it, you could watch a YouTube video of one of those matches, and it's about the same length of time as the ad before it (or less).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So Holyfield fought Vitor Belfort. I knew nothing about it. Things did not go well for Evander. This recording has a repeat at the start of the fight.

4. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Not really sure what Tito was even thinking taking this fight. Silva is one of the most devastating strikers in the history of MMA and was coming off a win over a champion boxer (in a boxing match to be clear). Meanwhile Tito’s hands were never impressive.

VadersLaMent and Juliet316 like this.
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Wow, one shot, not even really in that good a stance to deliver it.

6. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Yep. Silva’s power generation has always been a mystery. He wrecks people with shots that on paper should not have much behind them.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Usyk obliterated Joshua tonight.

Garbage performance, no aggression and he looked nervous throughout. Fury would obliterate this Joshua

heels1785 likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Both were on the slow side. Just a plodding jog of a fight. Usyk just outworked him. I think Fury would obliterate either one of them.

9. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Joshua was never any good well see what happens now with Wilder vs Fury whos gonna be affected by this layoff , had this fight occured few months ago id say Fury again easily.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    this is a ****ing war so far. wilder came much better prepared, and fury doesn't look near as good as he did in the second fight. wilder knockdown clearly has had lingering impact.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    what a fight. wilder overachieved to the nth degree, but it was the right result.

i don't think joshua (or usyk) would stand a chance against either of these guys.

FatBurt and Blobofat like this.
  13. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Well done to Wilder. He showed tremendous heart, but he’s outclassed by Fury.

14. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Only superman can survive those punches Wilder throws. Unfortunately for him, he was in the ring with superman. Credit for lasting that long.

I actually thought Tyson was a bit off-pace today. He split Wilder's guard nicely a few times but he wasn't as evasive as he usually is. Regardless, the guy's a bear. No-one's beating him anytime soon. Makes me wish wish peak Holyfield or Lennox Lewis were around to give him a challenge.

Usyk vs Wilder is the match I'd like to see next. Not that bothered who Joshua fights. He's the Frank Bruno of this lot.

15. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Fury is pretty much unbeatable with his size and tremendos boxing ability, the way he moves for a big man is amazing and now hes knocking dudes out , cant see anybody beating him unless he gets bored lol

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Watched the highlights. I think Fury said it best in the post press conference, if you don't knock him out straight away he is going to beat you.

17. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Feel for wilder he beats any man on the planet not named Tyson fury with that performance

Yet the record shows he’s been knocked out twice and being honest all three fights

Fury is unstoppable he’d absolutely batter Joshua

18. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I’d still like to see Fury vs Joshua. I’m just curious about what song Tyson would choose to sing after he wins.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    That just looks so much more brutal in slomo than it did in reality and it was brutal in reality

22. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    If Dillian Whyte beats Wallin, he’s next in line for a shot at Fury. I’ve watched last night’s fight twice now. That was seriously entertaining. I don’t think that Whyte will give us a show as good as Wilder did.

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Wilder with his big hitting is the closest we have to taking on Fury

AJ for all his "He's just Frank Bruno" stuff, prior to his defeat by Ruiz was someone who I genuinely thought could take on Fury (I still expected him to lose but it would have been close) but his confidence after the Ruiz bout seems to have been battered. He should never have lost to Ruiz and he clearly didn't take is seriously but his recent fight with Usyk was just an embarrassment. Usyk is a better more technical boxer yet, but pound for pound should AJ have actually have been aggressive, he would have won that fight (os should have) as it was he looked like a lamb going to slaughter and any thoughts of a fight with Fury now is just laughable.

Usyk will beat AJ in the rematch and AJ will retire or move into the distant periphery

Fury will take on Whyte as the mandatory challenger and win, he'll the do the obligatory rematch and win there too then hell take on Usyk in a reunification bout

He'll win that too

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  24. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    @FatBurt Yeah, I agree with most of what you’re saying. I’m not so sure that Usyk beating Joshua in the rematch is quite so certain, though.

25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Agree, I think Joshua will be better prepared but Usyk is a better boxer.

Wilder - Exceptional puncher, not a great boxer and will be outfought by anyone able to evade or deal with the punch (as Fury showed last night)
    Fury - Pound for pound the best fighter on the planet right now, a boxer, a hitter and a brawler. He'd hold his own in the days of Ali and Tyson
    Joshua - Good boxer, heavy hitter, evade the punch and you have a chance as was shown by both Ruiz and Usyk
    Usyk - Fighting above his weight BUT the best "boxer" of the lot. High probability of a win on points if not sparked out. Probably shouldn't be in the heavyweights and Wilder and Fury would put him in his box with relative ease.

the rest including the likes of Whyte are not at any of these fours level. If Whyte was a genuine prospect, he'd already be there actually pushing and fighting so I can see him being pushed to the side with moderate ease.