main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub High Republic Fanclub

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by devilinthedetails , Mar 15, 2021.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Sadly there has been a lot of hate for the High Republic era on YouTube. The good thing is most of the reviews that I've seen on Amazon and Goodreads for the comics and the books have been positive. Most of the hate I've seen on YouTube just seems to come from people who haven't read the comics or the books they are criticizing, so much of the hate just comes from a place of ignorance (as hate so often does). The only way I really know to try to counter that hate is to try to be very positive about the High Republic era and generate excitement and enthusiasim for this time and all the amazing characters associated with it on this site and other places. Hopefully that can drown out a lot of the negativity that just seems to be rooted in ignorance. But it does sort of remind me of being a fan of the PT and having to learn to deal with all the hate directed toward the PT.

On the plus side, I think I saw an email from Amazon saying the next comic issue will be released on April 7th, so we might be getting more Ssskeer and Keeve Trennis soon[face_dancing]

I'll just enjoy and savor all the High Republic content Disney releases and let the haters stew on YouTube. That's all I really know how to do.

Kahara and clone commander bossk like this.
  2. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Yeah, I saw them calling it discount the old republic so I thought let people enjoy it and you enjoy legends, simple as. I've also seen a lot of positivity from the likes of Star Wars Explained and ForceCenter.

More Sskeer and Keeve!

Can't wait. :D

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Personally, I've found that I can enjoy both Legends and New Canon content, and the Legends timeline was getting a bit crowded anyway, so I like getting new interpretations and new stories with the New Canon. I like any good story and idea, basically, whether it is Legends or New Canon. There is room in my heart to love both.

And I'm definitely excited for more Sskeer and Keeve in a few days! Looking forward to what happens next in their adventures and with their characters! The High Republic has me hooked for sure:)

4. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    Yeah, I consider some legends things cannon if there isn't anything that directly contradicts it.

Preview of The High Republic #4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Ooh, that preview really shows the intensity of the situation. Can't wait for the full issue to be released!

6. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    I think I'll get a physical copy of this one.

7. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I got an e-copy automatically downloaded on my Kindle yesterday (I've signed up as pre-ordering the whole series so that it will automatically be delivered to my Kindle as each issue is released). I appreciate the convenient Kindle copy and pre-ordering. The only downside is I don't get the full color of the comics, so getting a physical copy of this issue would be nice.

Anyway, I was able to read and enjoy Issue #4 of the High Republic comic series last night on my train ride home from work.

I'd love for this fan club to be a place where people can share what they thought and what they enjoyed in the comics and books and any other media of the High Republic era as new and exciting materials are released, so I suppose for spoiler tags we'll implement the same sort of guidelines that I believe they have in the Literature section of spoiler tagging for a week after a comic release and a month after a novel release. But really I suppose the rule of thumb would be if you think it could be a spoiler that could hurt someone's enjoyment of a book or comic, better safe than sorry, so use the spoiler tag.

On that note, my thoughts on Issue #4 of the High Repbulic comics follows beneath the spoiler tag:

This issue seemed to me to be the most intense so far, and the plot is definitely thickening. There is the threat of the Drengir, the danger of the Nihil, and now a corrupt Hutt cartel added into the mix of adversaries the Jedi and their allies must confront in this High Republic comic series.

The Drengir in this issue were more menacing to me than they had ever been in the past. It was chilling to see their vines growing up the noses and other facial features of our Jedi protagonists. Nightmare fuel for sure right there. And the lab portion where the corpse appeared to be re-animated by the malevolent possession of the Drengir was chilling in a way reminiscent of a zombie movie or Frankenstein.

It was nice to see Imri and Vernestra integrated into the plot of the comics (though Vernestra had made an appearance in the comics, Imri had not if I recall correctly). Gives some insights into what they might have been up to after Test of Courage.

The Drengir history we get compliments and expands on what we are given in Into the Dark. I appreciate that the comics are providing the origin story of the Drengir for the benefit of those readers who haven't read Into the Dark since that helps ensure that the comics can be enjoyed independently of Into the Dark, but I do find that Into the Dark can still enhance the comics if they are both read. I also found it really interesting to learn that the Drengir had been allies of the Sith (don't think that was mentioned in Into the Dark) and that the Drengir felt betrayed by the Sith. More about the Sith interactions with the Drengir could be fascinating to learn in future books and/or comics.

And the relationship between Sskeer and Keeve continues to shine! They are too awesome Jedi with a wonderful dynamic between them. Can't wait to see where their stories go next!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Really enjoying Rising Storm. Can't decide whether I like it or Light of the Jedi better.

A discussion question for my fellow High Republic fans: Do any of you think Anakin might have done better and thrived more in the High Republic Jedi? Like in the High Republic era, there seemed to be more understanding that passion could exist for Jedi and the focus was on not being a slave to one's passions (and knowing when to sacrifice one's passions for a larger, nobler cause as it were). Also, grief and loss seems to be a bit more openly acknowledged and more guidance offered to young Jedi going through it.

Like in this High Republic era, there seems to be more willingness on the part of even Jedi Council members to discuss their passions and their grief and their struggles coming to terms with loss. Whereas with the PT Jedi, the discussion seemed a bit more taboo and focused on "this and that" is forbidden to Jedi, and therefore Jedi are not to feel that ever.

Sorry if I am expressing my thoughts badly. I have morning brain:p

Kahara likes this.
  9. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    yo high republic lets go

10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Welcome to the site and the fan club! :)

Who are some of your favorite High Republic characters?

11. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    avari kriss and ssker

12. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    So now I'm catching up on as much of the High Republic as I can get my grubby mitts on, and I just had to drop in here and blame @devilinthedetails for The Rising Storm and The Fallen Star breaking my heart, putting it back together, and then crunching it up some more and dropping the smoldering pieces right into the ocean. :p All in all, 10 out of 10, would be emotionally devastated by (SPOILERS: EVERYTHING) again. Anyway, is anybody still around from this thread? I've gotten through the main series so far plus Tempest Runner and a few of the middle grade books. Not the comics yet, but I have them on loan from the library and will be reading them soon.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Welcome to the thread and to the boards as a whole:D

Those are two of my favorite High Republic era Jedi too. Both are awesome characters and have gone on incredible journeys, especially in the comics!

I will happily take the blame for that if it means more High Republic fans. The same thing totally happened to my heart when reading the Rising Storm and Fallen Star=(( The High Republic era and its wonderful characters definitely know how to put through an emotional wringer. The High Republic has been such a gift to Star Wars fans. Showing a true Golden Age of the Republic and the Jedi Order.

I am still around from this thread (though I guess I have to be since I'm its creator:p) but I would love to see it being revived. Especially as Phase 2 of the High Republic is soon to be released, which is super exciting.

Tempest Runner was a really cool audio drama, and the adult series was incredible. I thought the middle grade readers were overall strong as well as were the YA entries. There were some I liked more than others but every book was 3 stars and above for me so far with most ranking in the four or five star range.

The comics are great quick reads that can supplement the other stories.

I think the High Republic era is feeling very connected and interwoven between the different media types. A real multimedia approach to telling the story of this era. There is a great deal of scope and scale to this project which is amazing to see as a fan.

So, yeah, this is my long-winded way of saying new members are always welcome in the High Republic Fanclub=D=

Kahara and wreath like this.
  14. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    yeah

15. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @devilinthedetails , thanks! :D Yeah, it's very exciting that there will be some new material soon; I'm very curious to see where it goes next. I think there was something about at least some of the new material being a kind of prequel era to what we already saw, which I'd definitely love to see (not least of all so that maybe I can read about my newest dearly departed faves again :p). I have to think that they'll also continue forward at some point too though; there's so much setup with the Nihil plot and character arcs that definitely seem meant to go forward too.

@wreath, thanks for the welcome to you as well! :)

wreath and devilinthedetails like this.
  16. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Kahara Yes, I think Phase II is supposed to be a prequel to the High Republic content we were introduced to in Phase I. So I imagine that it will have new characters in it and help set the stage for the events that we saw in Phase I. Then I think Phase III is supposed to pick up on events that took place after Phase I and will probably (I predict) feature some of the characters we got to know and love from Phase I.

I am keeping my fingers crossed too that we might still get more stories set in the Phase I era (or shortly prior to it) because I think this era and the characters in it still have more potential for great stories to be told about them.

I am with you in that I'm curious to see where the story goes next, and I've already got pre-orders in for the upcoming content to show my support!

Kahara likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    New book soon, yes?

I've preordered so much I've lost track!

18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Sinrebirth I know that Path of Deceit is coming out in early October and that another book (think it might be Convergence?) is coming out in November if I recall correctly so a lot of great Phase 2 stuff should be coming out soon.

I have to admit that I tend to preorder Star Wars stuff and then be happily surprised when it becomes available on my Kindle and Audible because I have forgotten the exact release date, haha.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have read the adult high republic novels and they were great phase one was better but phase two is still good. Favorite character is Elzar Mann.

20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks for reviving the High Republic Fanclub, @Jedi Knight Fett :cool:

I'm with you in enjoying the High Republic adult novels for Phase One better than those for Phase 2. It helped that I clicked more with characters like Elzar Mann, Stellan Gios, and Avar Kriss more than I did characters like Axel Greylark.

Interestingly, I did prefer the audiobook, the young adult novels, and the junior novelizations for Phase 2 more overall than for Phase 1.

And I am super excited to travel forward in time again to Phase 3, and the short story volume "Tales of Light and Life" was perfect for whetting my appetite for Phase 3!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  21. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Hello I am a Huge High republic fan I wish I had saw this fanclub sooner I a novel collector so I have read all the high republic novels so far

My favorite characters in the high republic would be Vernestra and Bell Zettifar sorry I didn't put Vernestra's Last name I am to dumb to spell it

I also would love a High Republic Video game or Movie or even better both!! and maybe a Tv show for adults/ teenagers I mean I love Young Jedi Adventures Lys, Kai Brightstar and Nubbs I also like nash durrango

My favorite High Republic Book is Race to crashpoint tower I admit at first I thought this book was too busy and had too much going on but a few rereads and I find that I truly love this book for obscure bombrakks to the awkward Padawan Ram Jormaram

I don't know much more to say Except I LOVE THE HIGH REPUBLIC FOR LIGHT AND LIFE!!!!! If by some miracle I am accepted into this club plz send me a message on this board or post on my profile plz

22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Jedi Knight88 Always nice to meet another huge fan of the High Republic:D

That's so cool that you are a novel collector and have all the High Republic novels so far. It's so exciting that we are in Phase 3 and have the junior Escape from Valo novel being published on the 30th of January.

Vernestra and Bell Zettifar are two of my favorite High Republic Jedi as well. I especially love Bell's bond with Ember.

I've only read Race to Crashpoint Tower once so far, but I would like to re-read all the High Republic Phase 1 books some time, and it would be interesting to see if my opinion on Race to Crashpoint Tower changes as yours did.

For Light and Life and welcome to the High Republic Fan Club[face_party]

Jedi Knight88 and Kahara like this.
  23. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
  24. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    The High Republic Fan Club is always excited to have new members[:D]

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I Just thought of something since you like ember Bell's charound there is an episode of young jedi adventures about bell and ember all I know is the episode tittle has something about a charhound in it.

devilinthedetails likes this.