main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Heck yeah

Also Reneagade Cut a while back did a really in-depth look into Live action Skeletor and actually found some interesting stuff

But yeah, honestly I wouldn't be feeling as odd about a remake of She-Ra if it wasn't Live Action. Like I knew that one day they would return to do a She-Ra remake and even if I myself wouldn't enjoy it since 2018 IS She-Ra to me, it is THE TAKE, I wouldn't be against another animated show taking the IP in a new direction. I mean Transformers has dozens.

But a live action one that is being made by amazon that seems ...IDK, something feels off.

MercenaryAce and FS26 like this.
  2. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I've had a hard time getting excited by Amazon's original programming. My husband watched their Jack Ryan and The Man in the High Castle series, enjoying the latter but not really remembering anything about the former, and my in-laws really got into The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

I should probably try The Expanse sometime, and The Man in the High Castle if my library ever frees up their copy of the novel so I can read it first. Is Ringworld still in active development? Because that series *would* grab my attention. Especially if it lands some solid Kzinti designs!

Xammer likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've seen bits and pieces of Man in the High Castle and it seemed interesting but I'm a WW 2 buff so that is more my thing.

I hear nothing but good thing about The Expanse from people who watch it even if I have zero interest in it.

But like again my problem with She-Ra Live Action series is that it's Live Action, it's not even that it's a remake of 2018, I expected that to one day happen eventually yes but...Live Action...It just...It just seems like such a flawed idea.

Gamiel and Senpezeco like this.
  4. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Speaking only for myself, whenever I hear that something animated I love is getting a live action remake, my immediate thought is “well they’re gonna screw it up.”

If it’s another animated follow up or reboot, you can kind of divorce that in your mind from the original. It gets a little bit harder when they’re directly remaking the specific story it feels more personal, and since it’s live action even more attention will be put upon a potential bastardisation.

CaptainPeabody and Gamiel like this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So the good news is that the Live Action reboot IS NOT a continuation/adaption of the 2018 series. It's just taking the She-Ra IP (Adora, Catra, Hordak, Horde vs Princess Rebellion) and making it live action. So I can still divorce it from 2018 thankfully.

My issue is just it feels like the worse way to reboot the IP that is predominantly animated.

But i totally get what you're saying.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2021
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The Expanse is excellent, but it's not actually an Amazon original. They just picked it up after Sci-Fi "SyFy" remembered that they're not actually a science fiction channel.

That's unexpected. I always heard he only lasted one season because he had a spectacular falling-out with the franchise.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Senpezeco and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Also a random She-Ra/Star Wars thought

For some reason the Nihl remind me a lot of the Horde than honestly the First Order does.

Or at least The Horde (Under Hordak) feels more like the Nihl just with a more First Order aesthetic to it.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That was the TV show way back in the Noughties. Big Finish hooked his interest and a set of 12 were recorded, 2 of the 4 sets are out. Now there'll be another set of 12, released 2022 / 2023.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've not seen Man in the High Castle, but from reading the book my guess is the show is entirely different. The book was pretty short and not a lot happened. Not exactly a short story, but just... it reminded me of a play where most of the sets are the same thing more or less, and there's a lot of discussion about the state of things but not a lot of variety. The initial premise was the best part, but the plot moved verrrrrrrry slowly. I haven't found this to be as big an issue in Philip K. Dick's other books.

I finally got into Ringworld about a year or two ago. Couldn't put down the first two, and I keep meaning to find time to read the others. I'm really surprised no one's done a movie or film on that series yet.... I'd argue it would be easier to do that Dune because the characters have a bit more camaraderie and humor. But you'd need a really creative team at the helm. (also completely random but since we're discussing this on a Star Wars forum: I couldn't get it out of my head that Nessus's body was that of a giant Buggles with two long-necked Arcona heads on top. Nothing TV or films will do will change this. He is a happily leaping Arcona-headed Buggles.)

cthugha and Senpezeco like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I was also kinda ambivalent about Jack Ryan, some good bits but a lot of cringey use of stereotypes.

For some better recommendations, definitely watch Good Omens- I didn’t read the book but loved this adaptation nonetheless. Also The Boys, which I did read, is just loads of fun if a bit stupid sometimes.

Jedi Ben and Senpezeco like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As a comic The Boys changes over its long run - the TV adaptation covers both of its natures well.

Good Omens is fantastic.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

One thing that any reboot of She-Ra live action or not will be able to attract people who don't care for the wider Master of the Universe Franchise.

For in all honestly thats' why She-Ra 2018 was so successful for, getting people who just didn't care about the wider Franchise to enjoy at least one version of the show.

In fact i think the best reboots manage to attract people who were not into the franchise to begin with while still staying true to the core of the IP.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I had no idea Ringworld was in development! I haven't read those books in decades and I remember some sort of culturally cringey stuff mixed in with a lot of great worldbuilding/cosmology (see also Dune) but I'd think it could be reimagined to keep the good stuff and be rather cool.

Vthuil and Senpezeco like this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So another She-Ra/Star Wars thing I thought about, but I've brought this up a lot ....I think the Sequels would have benefited from being 4 movies. At least I feel Kylo's arc would have. (I would have done more things for Finn, Rose and Poe and Rey obviously but this is Kylo specific thought right now)

I feel like if you split 9 into two movies you get the best of both worlds.

Like She-Ra, Episode 9 could have been the She-Ra Season 4 where you have had Kylo been the Big Bad of the Movie leading the First Order doing evil stuff, etc etc. Only to slowly losing his sanity and by the end be beaten and broken because of his own self destruction. Much like Catra was at the end of Season 4 where she started off being pretty much the "Big Bad" of the Show only to be completely broken.

But then like Horde Prime BOOM, big reveal, It was Palpatine all along. Also probably would wanna hint that through this version of a Episode 9.

Then you get Episode 10 which is more or less Rise of Skywalker with maybe some changes like Kylo becomes Ben Solo again early on so you get more of a movie with him and then even if you kill him he still got to be Ben for a while and you defeat Palpatine yada yada yada Rey goes on to build new Jedi etc etc.

IDK, that's just something I feel could have helped the Sequels and given almost everyone what they wanted if they wanted Kylo the Big Bad and Kylo Redeemed. i mean hey Worked more or less for She-Ra.

Obviously if I were doing this id' give more stuff for the other characters obviously but that's just my random thought of the evening.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2021
  15. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Criiiiiinge.

Although sadly I feel like I'm gonna WISH for that to be the case.

I feel like Catra is gonna be like more just a human who really like Cats or something like that.

My beautiful band of lovable misfits and a grumpy cat trying to conquer Etheria are gonna be reduced back to this

Or more likes this

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2021
  17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

Some unexpected high republic humor

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The new CGI He-Man show came out. It was fun, a bit for younger kids but still fun

Did a lot more with the whole Keldor is related to Adam and Randor thread then most Master of the Universe series.

19. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    @Jid123Sheeve You have annoyed me enough about She-Ra that I am now watching it on Netflix. I hope your happy you jerk.

:p

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness tell me what you think as you make progress AND if you see any Star Wars parallels.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2021
    Dream-Thinker likes this.
  21. Dream-Thinker

May 20, 2020
    I will say this: the giant bug monster in the first episode has a surprisingly intense design for a series with this tone. Or at least what I think is the tone, having only seen the first episode so far.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Heh... what you think is theTone.....Heh...heh....heh....heh.....

I will say Season 1 is probably the most light hearted season. But you know 1st Seasons shouldn't give away all their best stuff.

But i'll be keeping tabs, can't wait to see when you get to some of my favorite stuff in later seasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2021
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Okay, since you took note of the bug, I feel fairly obliged to warn you that there are GIANT ROBOT SPIDERS in multiple subsequent episodes.

(Not that they're what Jid is talking about, tho...)

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh yeah there are spiders in She-Ra in case anyone does not like Spiders.

Jedi Ben and Dream-Thinker like this.
  25. Dream-Thinker

May 20, 2020
    If I can watch The Mandalorian with it's swarm of spiders, then I can watch She-Ra. XD

I mean, how bad can it be?

#FamousLastWords

PCCViking likes this.