main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not sure it's that widespread in the UK. Loud, high-profile and lunatic? Yes. That numerous? I'm sceptical.

Generally the UK has had both a high vaccine take up rate abd level of caution, more so than its political leaders in Westminster would like.

2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    It depends what you mean by widespread. We're not talking about millions of people here, or at least I'd assume not.

Antivax sentiments are supposedly far more 'widespread' here in Australia; by which I mean that one in three polled recently said they were not going to get the vaccine. However... This doesn't correlate with current vaccination figures which suggest an 80% take-up in some states. So maybe they interviewed a non-representative sample.

My point is, and remains, that there are plenty of folks on the political left who are also anti-vax; and like George Monbiot, this is the crowd I've hung out with for many years back home. I've seen the same as him, and others I've spoken to have as well. It's just depressing that they even exist, as I would like to have thought that more of them would be scientifically literate. It's not a good look.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t care if your left or right. If your not vaccinated your being an idiot. Unless you have a legitimate medical reason

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it is a loud minority, but one that isn't easily politically defined, which fits into the way things have been for the last few years.

Runjedirun likes this.
  5. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    All the more reason it is so disillusioning for me at least to see left-wingers being as stupid as they're conservative counterparts, albeit in smaller numbers, probably...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Rew likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw it in anti-vax crowds in the mid to late 00s. People I liked to call ‘so left wing they’ve actually circled around.’ The lack of trust in institutions was the common denominator but the left wing did not have the added racism and sexism most of the time.

Nobody145, Juliet316 and CairnsTony like this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    BTS spoke at the UN today about sustainable development goals and future generations.

But in their speech, they also mentioned that all seven of them are vaccinated and encouraged young people to do the same.

Afterward UNICEF tweeted out BTS's statement.

I have already seen several young fans on Twitter say they were scared to get vaccinated but now they will. Vaccination rates among Gen Z are particularly low in the US for instance (although BTS are themselves mostly Millennials).

I recall that when Elvis got the Polio Vaccine, the rates of vaccination among teenagers skyrocketed. Good job to BTS for attempting to do their part on a very public stage.

9. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Can't wait until my 8 year old can actually get his vaccination, nice to know it's one step closer.

They announced at work today that soon you will have to be tested weekly if you are not vaccinated. You will pay for your own test and you have to get tested on your time or take PTO. We knew this was coming because we have well over 100 employees, it was just nice to hear it addressed finally.

My sister is Independent. Her husband is a full on crazy right wing Trump supporter. My sister seems really even keeled except that she believes doing yoga and eating healthy alone will keep her safe from every injury and illness in the world. I don't know how she can live with the guy I mentioned earlier in this statement. It'll be interesting to see how she handles her son starting Kindergarten next year if he needs a vaccine. I stay out of it. I just hope my son can get vaccinated before the Holidays so we can all hang out like a family and leave politics out of it.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I assume my company will implement the mandate as we have about 400 employees, but we're also still working from home... So I wonder when we'll hear about it.

11. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    It reminds me somewhat of many far left-wingers in the UK who were also anti-EU. It is widely assumed, as with the AV movement, that anti-EU sentiment amongst Brexiters was exclusively the preserve of the right, but it ain't necessarily so.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's it exactly.

solojones and CairnsTony like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  14. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I know a couple who are anti-vaxx, but its because they have a 14 year old son who's autistic, and they are convinced that vaccines cause autism.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm glad to see they understood this pandemic is also like nothing we've ever seen, as are mRNA vaccines. It's good that they addressed it and provided answers.

I do agree that the political divide is new(ish). I remember vaccines being something that just about everyone supported strongly, not determined by political affiliation. I think we know about when that changed, who is responsible, and why anti-vax caught on more with Republicans.

Rew, Nobody145, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There wasn't a serious modern anti-vax movement until the beginning of this century when Andrew Wakefield published his attempt to discredit the MMR vaccine in favor of a measles-only vaccine he had invested in. While I'm skeptical that many on the "left" were involved-- wellness freaks and well-off white suburbanites don't exactly fit the bill-- it obviously wasn't a major partisan issue in the United States until 2020.

17. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    As soon as our next kid is born in Nov, both my wife and I are deleting our accounts. I can't stand FB, I barely even see my friend posts. Only thing keeping us there now, is that we both belong to a few local town/parent groups, find good things for free, yards sales, baby-item trades, etc, that have helped. But that's the only benefit at this point.

I'll admit, I do find Instagram inspirational at times. I follow a lot of artists, illustrators, designers, etc. And I like seeing my friends weekly photos. I so wish they weren't the same company.

I've been thinking a lot lately about pre-social media days. Oddly enough the new Matrix trailer supercharged those thoughts again, because the first trilogy was just a totally different pre-FB world. Social media has largely been an experiment. And I think we're all now seeing the society-spanning results of it.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Calling it a "study" is excessively generous. A better word would be "slander".

19. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Ugh, yeah a few hours after my anti facebook post early this morning we got a new job to estimate in Oregon suspiciously titled FB 2, 3, and 5. I enjoy that they try to keep our tech clients confidential when it's completely obvious who are tech clients are. UGH, and if we win that bid it's big, big bucks, so I have to hope we win.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    jennymccarthydeathtoll.com

jcgoble3 and Count Yubnub like this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    A special ed assistant in Oregon wore blackface to school.

Why am I posting it here? Because she did it to protest against vaccinations, and she was supposedly showing solidarity to Rosa Parks.

:oops:

(And this particular school district has had a number of racist problems in the last year. Surprise!)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Holy ****!

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So the U.S. death toll from COVID has officially surpassed that of the 1918 flu, becoming the worst pandemic* in our history.

The U.S. population was much lower in 1918, so the so-called “Spanish flu” has a higher death rate.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't worry Merk, I'm sure 2021-22 US will surpass that proportional percentage.

25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I'm seeing COVID patients again this week at the hospital.

I had 2 on Saturday. Today I have 8. Total hospital census went from 5 to 20 in the past few days. Overwhelming majority unvaccinated. Already sent one to stepdown unit.

And it's not even winter yet.