main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh my, that's awful for everyone, but worse in that it was avoidable.

2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Surprising to see how high COVID cases are rising across the US. I don’t feel like this is being reported as being so serious as it was last fall. Part of that is having the vaccine now.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    @Vaderize03 from what you've seen, should we go ahead and get our flu shots now too? Usually I get it a little later.

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Hard to say. The consensus is it's safe to get them together, but I wouldn't wait much past the first 1-2 weeks of October to get your flu shot. Potentially a rough season ahead.

I'm probably going to get mine next week.

My bigger concern is that ordinarily benign pathogens such as rhinovirus are now causing severe enough cases of bronchitis for people to be hospitalized. Fading immunity from lack of circulation due to social distancing unfortunately has driven this. It was necessary to do so of course, but this appears to be an unintended consequence.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Didn
    god anti vax people are so stupid

6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    She's launching a bid to be the next Canadian prime minister, I see.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I haven’t laughed at a comment in here in a while

Darth_Duck likes this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Question: Has anyone here (being pro vaccination) convinced someone against the vaccine to get vaccinated? If yes, how did you go about accomplishing this task?

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, the US population has increased by more than 200%, so deaths would really have to go up a lot higher than they currently are; I don't think it will surpass in that time frame.

Count Yubnub and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One of my wife's carers was hesitant, as previously vaccines had animal products in and she's vegan. Found out the new ones are suitable for vegans and she went with it. Not a fan of needles but got it.

Edit - I really didn't make it clear that my reply to Merk was pitch black gallows humour.

And then V03 posted he had had a 300% increase in covid patients, that post aged well.

I'd like to think you're right Lowie but you've got some absolute lunatics running rampant.

11. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Don't be so sure.

Our ICU is full of COVID patients. Average age: 55. % vaccinated: zero. *All* of them are on ventilators. The consensus from the physicians caring for them is that every single of them is going to die. That's at least 10-12 people, and we're only one community hospital.

Add flu and RSV to that this winter, and the picture could be pretty grim. Not trying to sensationalize or frighten anyone, but that's the reality right now.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Getting my flu shot this weekend.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Hey, Florida has a new surgeon general (not that the previous one did much of anything during the pandemic) - but DeSantis loves this guy, so we'll be seeing a lot more of him. Here's part of what he has to say:

“Vaccines are up to the person. There's nothing special about them compared to any other preventive measure. The state should be promoting good health, and vaccination isn't the only path to that. It's been treated almost like a religion. It's just senseless. There's lots of good pathways to health.”
    He said in addition to vaccines, people should be encouraged to lose weight, exercise more and eat healthier.
    And Lapado spoke out against lockdowns. “After lockdowns, overall mortality increased. Lockdowns are bad. Lots of reasons why they're bad, that's just one really good one,” he said.
    Promoting, encouraging. "Thoughts and prayers". Yes, there's no more effective way to avoid getting coronavirus than generic healthy behavior. :rolleyes:

Luke02 likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He’s right of course. No physically fit and healthy eating person ever gets severely sick from Covid.

Oh, wait.

Jedi Ben, Yodaminch, Luke02 and 8 others like this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Whether or not you shoot people should be up to the person. If you want to protect yourself from bullets you just need to exercise more and eat healthier. I guess.

“After lockdowns, overall mortality increased.”

Because causes and consequences are just really interchangeable, right.

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Florida Man Rejects the Tyranny of Common Sense

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm going to see about getting my flu shot this weekend. In the past, I normally haven't bothered with the seasonal flu shot, but I got it last year to help avoid the possibility of a double infection with COVID, and I'll get it this year as well.

Juliet316 and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think I have ever not gotten my flu shot. Why start now

Jedi Merkurian and Pensivia like this.
  19. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I got my flu shot at CVS last year, I was hoping to do it at work this year, but of course the flu shot is at work one of the days I am travelling out of state. Off to the CVS site to see if they have appointments.

EDIT: I just checked the CVS site, apparently you schedule for today and there are appointments until 11:30 PM tonight, I'll try when I get home tomorrow. I wasn't planning on going now. But really good to know how easy it is to schedule, I was bummed about not being able to do it at work.

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    For me, the flu shot historically has been one of those things that doesn't usually cross my mind. I have no risk factors for flu complications, and so I've usually seen it as one of those things that's an extra trip out of my way and extra time out of my day for a sore arm and not much else.

If this pandemic causes any permanent changes to my health habits, getting the annual flu shot might become one.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    There's about 470 days until the end of 2022, and current death toll is 675,000 officially, and with the economist estimating about 150,000 more excess COVID deaths as of a couple weeks ago, I'll say 900,000 deaths to be a bit more conservative than that about how far we really are from the Spanish flu numbers. Which would mean that to surpass that, we'd be needing to get to roughly 2,150,000 deaths. Or between roughly 1.2 and 1.5 million more deaths. That works out to between 2600 and 3200 deaths per day.

That's a sustained average until the end of December between roughly 30 and 50% higher than the current death rate, as well as a rate of death that is not just higher than it's been since the start of the pandemic to now, but higher than the US has seen in the weekly averages outside of about three months (mid-December to mid-January).

So to beat it by the end of 2022, it'd need the deaths to get substantially worse than it's been at just about any point up until now, since it's hinging on there being twice as many deaths in the next 470 days as there were in the last ~560 days or so since this started. That's why I said that seems unlikely, because it's mathematically difficult for it to kill enough people in 470 days.... the current pace would fall well short.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    BWA-HA-HA.

Fake funeral home promotes “don’t get vaccinated” message

Wilmore is a neighborhood in Charlotte, not a funeral home.

For those making the argument mentioned in the article that “this is unlikely to change an unvaccinated person’s mind”—at this point I don’t think any persuasion without sticks behind it, will. And I take no pleasure in saying that.

But when Fox News has commentators and guests who are delusional enough to believe that unvaccinated people are a group marginalized by factors they can’t help, such as Black people during slavery in the Jim Crow era….

23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've gotten the flu shot the last few years since I'm eligible for a free one now. Just waiting for the pharmacy up the street to start taking appointments. (On Monday they said probably end of the month or early October).

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016