main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Definitive Thread to Rank All Star Wars Films (in terms of Your Favorite), TPM to TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 28, 2019.

?

Which Film is Your Favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

11 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

11 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

70 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

41 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

92 vote(s)
    31.4%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

30 vote(s)
    10.2%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Rogue One / Solo

12 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    So I just finished watching the entire saga all in a row, for the first time in like a year or so. And surprisingly, it changed my ranking abit:

1. ROTS
    2. ESB
    3. AOTC
    4. Rogue One
    5. ROTJ
    6. TROS
    7. ANH
    8. TLJ
    9. TFA
    10. TPM
    11. Solo

My favorites will always be my favorites, but for the rest-I was quite surprised at this change. TFA used to be top five, Solo used to be around the middle, and TLJ was dead last!

It seems that with time, Solo for me runs out of "watchability," like a piece of Fruit Stripe Gum-and I have to let long periods of time go by between viewings. Don't get me wrong, I love the film-but to me it quickly becomes tedious upon repeat viewings. I found myself just waiting for the next event in the film.

As for my increase for TLJ from last to low-third, I was shocked. Perhaps the ST started to be more enjoyable to me, now that I've gotten over everything I HOPED it would be, and just learned to enjoy what's there. Still has its flaws, but then again-TPM has Jar Jar after all.

When I was watching AOTC in particular, I found myself really enjoying it. Maybe that's because it's been like 18 months since I'd seen it. One thing I will say about the PT films, is they are so rich visually and in terms of world building, after all these years repeated viewings still have not lost any of their luster for me.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    01. The Empire Strikes Back
    02. A New Hope
    03. The Rise of Skywalker
    04. The Force Awakens
    05. The Last Jedi
    06. Solo
    07. Return of the Jedi
    08. Rogue One
    09. Attack of the Clones
    10. Revenge of the Sith
    11. The Phantom Menace

3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

It's intriguing to see that you placed Revenge of the Sith towards the bottom and ROTJ and Rogue One in the lower half, with the whole ST in the top five.

I'd be interested in hearing your personal thoughts on why you rank ROTS the second least (and TROS #3 as well). Just genuinely curious!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    maranatusIX, Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  4. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Loving some of the posts here. I am a fan of all the star wars movies. I take positives from all. I know I wouldnt want the pressure of writing or directing a SW movie. Theres just too much expectation. Heres my list from 11 to 1

11 Solo. Never got to see it in the cinema and watched it on DVD. Its good and its nice to see chewie and Han team up in the falcon. Some good moments but not a fan of the woody Harrelson character and having Maul appear at the end was just fan service. His story isnt resolved in future movies it was in other media. That felt wrong. I know a lot of folk love maul but he should not have appeared here.

10 AOTC. Nothing overly exciting. Coruscant chase sequence is good and the battle of Geonosis kicks off the Clone Wars. Seeing the Republic Army sends shivers of whats to come with the Empire. Jango Fett and Zam Wesel are stand out characters, Boba was a bit meh. Marriage as expected and we see Yoda finally wield a lightsaber. Shmis death hit me hard.

9 TPM. A new era was kicked off with this. So much hype. Was never going to live up to it. Stand outs was the three way lightsaber battle and the Boonta Eve podrace. Qui Gon was a good character and obi wan surprisingly was a bit uncaring.

8 Rogue One. Was a prequel to ANH and tells us the important story of how they got the death star plans. This was a testing ground for de-aging actresses using CGI. In this case carrie Fisher as Leia just before ANH. Vader is at his best here too. Some amazing sequences and great actors. Definitely emotional too.

7 The last Jedi. Completely tore up the rulebook regarding certain SW characters and what the force could do. Controversial, very emotional. Good points, bad points. Ive covered it plenty in the past.

6 TROS. The final chapter in the saga. Not the finale fans had hoped for but it wrapped up 42 years of storytelling. I enjoyed it but it needs to have a follow up movie. Just my feeling. Im hearing Rogue squadron will be. Thats good as far as Im concerned.

5 ROTS For the first time in 22 years we hear JEJ as vader. Magical.

4 ANH Its all been said.

3TFA New heroes, new bad guys. Enjoyable. Ford gets his wish.

2 ESB. just a brilliant sequel.

1 ROTJ Luke help me take this mask off....

5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    ROTJ
    TESB
    ROTS
    ANH
    TPM
    AOTC

Solo
    Rogue One

TROS
    TFA
    TLJ

6. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    Top 10 of All Time:

The Empire Strikes Back

Top 20 of All Time:

Star Wars: A New Hope

The Rest

3. Revenge of the Sith 8/10
    4. Rogue One 8/10
    5. Return of the Jedi 7/10
    6. The Force Awakens 6/10
    7. The Phantom Menace 5/10
    8. The Last Jedi 5/10
    9. Solo 5/10
    10. Attack of the Clones 3/10
    11. The Rise of Skywalker 3/10

Anakin's Daddy and Emperor Ferus like this.
  7. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    My revised list:

1 The Empire Strikes Back
    2 A New Hope
    3 Return of the Jedi
    4 Revenge of the Sith
    5 Rogue One
    6 The Last Jedi
    7 The Force Awakens
    8 Attack of the Clones
    9 Solo
    10 The Phantom Menace
    11 The Rise of Skywalker

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  8. JediRaiden

JediRaiden Jedi Padawan

Jul 1, 2019
    1. A New Hope
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Rogue One
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. The Force Awakens
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. Solo
    10. The Last Jedi
    11. The Rise of Skywalker

9. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    edit: The love RotS gets on here warms my heart.

My holy trinity:
    RotS
    ANH
    ESB
    ------------
    The ones I like:
    RotJ
    TPM
    RO
    TFA
    ----------------
    meh...... :
    AotC
    Solo
    --------
    not a fan:
    TROS
    TLJ

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    grd4 and Anakin's Daddy like this.
  10. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Rogue One/A New Hope - always watch them back to back and rank them as one fabulous (long) movie.
    3. Solo
    4. Return Of The Jedi
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Revenge Of The Sith
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. The Rise Of Skywalker
    9. Attack of The Clones
    10. The Phantom Menace

11. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    1. The Phantom Menace
    2. Rogue One
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. Empire Strikes Back
    8. A New Hope
    9. Revenge of the Sith
    10. Rise of Skywalker
    11. Solo

Bor Mullet and Aah Fisto like this.
  12. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    1.ROTS
    2.ESB
    3.ANH
    4.ROTJ
    5.AOTC
    6.TFA
    7.TPM
    8.TROS
    9.TLJ

Anakin's Daddy and Count Yubnub like this.
  13. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    I'm sure I did a rankings already earlier in this thread but its been a few years and things have settled more firmly in my mind.

1. ESB
    2. ROTS
    3. ANH
    (Rogue One)
    4. ROTJ
    5. TFA
    6. TPM
    7. AOTC
    (Solo)
    8. TROS
    9. TLJ

Anakin's Daddy likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Rogue One is the best Star Wars film visually, narratively, tonally, etc. In every way. And I think that perspective may end up becoming more and more popular over the years.

It’s very closely followed by ANH and TESB, which are also masterpieces. And have the added benefit of breaking completely new ground.

And then TPM, which is much better than it generally gets credit for, and Solo.

The rest I barely watch or think about.

ETA: Latest ranking.

1. RO
    2. ANH/ ESB
    3. TPM/ Solo
    4. TFA/ TLJ/ TROS
    5. AOTC
    6. ROTS

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think you're missing something. :p

HolyKenobi93 likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Ha! Jabba would not be pleased. Let me try again:

1. RO
    2. ANH/ ESB
    3. ROTJ
    4. Solo
    5. TPM
    6. TFA/ TLJ/ TROS
    7. AOTC
    8. ROTS

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  17. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    Updated now that TROS has had time to solidify its place.

1. A New Hope
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Last Jedi
    9. The Rise of Skywalker
    10. Solo
    11. Rogue One

HolyKenobi93 likes this.
  18. EmmaHare95

EmmaHare95 Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2021
    1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. Rogue One
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Empire Strikes Back
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. The Rise of Skywalker
    10. Solo
    11. The Clone Wars
    12. The Force Awakens

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  19. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    What I consider canonical:

1. TPM
    2. RotS
    3. AotC
    4. ANH
    5. RotJ
    6. TESB
    Mandalorian

Lesser canon, like appendages:

7. RO
    8. Solo

NO!:

9. TLJ
    10. TFA
    11. TRoS

20. Aethereon

Aethereon Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2022
    1. RotJ - Luke and ObiWan scene, Luke and Vader scenes. Realization of balance and hope.
    2. TESB - Setting up the balance of admission of darkness and the goodness within Luke.
    3. Rogue One - Imperfect but not full of crap. Stands alone, bridges gaps, and doesn't neuter Vader.
    4. TPM - Opening scene with QuiGon and ObiWan, the conclusion of Duel of the Fates.
    5. ANH - Typical hero's journey, but groundbreaking for its time
    6. RotS - Special effects extravaganza, extremely shallow/hollow plot development.
    7. AotC - Special effects test subject, empty of value.
    8/9/10 - Sequel trilogy - nothing remarkable, unfortunately. Ethics and integrity have already been challenged with the PT, choose not to validate.
    11. Solo - unremarkable.

Sarge likes this.
  21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I haven't updated in a couple of years:

1. AOTC
    2. ROTS
    3. ESB
    4. ANH
    5. TPM
    6. TLJ
    7. ROTJ
    8. Solo
    9. TROS
    10. R1
    11. TFA

22. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    The Saga

1. TESB -One of the greatest films ever made. Magisterial and the one, true spiritual installment of the series.
    2. (TIE) ROTS/ANH - Star Wars is a masterpiece, but like The Wizard of Oz, somewhat hollow for my tastes; Revenge of the Sith is an imperfect film, but imbued with tremendous depth and operatic sweep.
    3. TPM - Flawed, but vibrant, overflowing with imagination and firmly anchored by Liam Neeson's warm, peaceable performance.
    4. ROTJ - The first-half remains unwatchable, but the film kicks into hyperdrive once Luke turns himself in to Vader.
    5. AOTC - Bold, but the scripting, acting and editing renders this a stolid affair.

Disney

6. RO - A rousing third act, a few interesting grace notes and the delightful K-2SO salvages a largely paint-by-numbers war story.
    7. TLJ - Superb direction/cinematography and terrific performances by Hamill and Driver, but doomed by a misguided shambles of a script. Rian Johnson's one failure.
    8. TFA - The nadir of nostalgia filmmaking, with not a shred of artistic integrity. (The most zealous of Lucas's rabid critics got the two-hour Kenner commercial they deserved.)

(Haven't seen Solo or TROS; no desire whatsoever.)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    HolyKenobi93 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    ROTJ- High emotional stakes, great mix of childlike wonder and drama, Luke vs. Vader is the heart of the movie and saga, with an engaging Rebel mission to Tatooine and Endor.

ROTS- The most intense and tragic, the best visuals with the most engaging action scenes, Palpatine's plot and Anakin's descent are entertaining but wrenching to watch

TESB- Vader is at his best here, engaging action on Hoth and Cloud City, effective at conveying the emotional and physical stakes throughout

ANH- Full of wonder, engaging the audience into the world, its introductory nature makes for charming characters and story with a self-contained narrative that is enhanced in the broader picture of the saga

TPM- Captivating introduction to the PT's universe, Anakin's character and story have a special charm, as does the introduction of the Jedi and the conflict through his eyes, engaging dynamics between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Anakin, and Padme and Anakin (at this stage, Padme sees him as a little brother, though he has a very likely crush on her)

AOTC- Great action scenes and visuals, interesting change in tone from its predecessor and within itself

Solo- Compelling introduction to a young Han, tells a good story in its own right, interesting dynamics between Han and Lando, and Han and Qi'ra, I happen to agree with what L3 represents in terms of political statements (this one might go above AOTC, but I feel biased enough to put AOTC first)

Rogue One- a lot of characters to get to know, Jyn's journey is an interesting one, particularly compelling visuals, not to mention the climactic space battle

TFA- Compelling dynamics between Finn and Poe, and Rey and Finn, feels more underwhelming in retrospect, nullifies ROTJ's implication that Luke will train Leia and build up the the Jedi Order without it being undone

TROS- the most visually appealing of the sequels, glorifies the character who singlehandedly nullified Anakin, Luke, Han, and Leia, while having everybody make risks and sacrifices on the off-chance that he'll finally do the right thing (why I hold him to a different standard than Anakin, who himself did evil things before redemption, but his arc did not negatively affect those of established characters who we were meant to root for and did, not even Obi-Wan), while Rey has even less reason to believe in him after the events of TLJ

TLJ- Had a potentially good character in Rose, butchers Luke's character while giving him little room to redeem himself, gives Rey little reason to sympathize with Kylo while dismissing Luke, and the reason given does not feel earned, nor does her sudden compulsion to appeal to Kylo , blames Luke for what should not have been his fault and

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    mtt02263 and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. darth orange shirt guy

darth orange shirt guy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2022
    5,6,4,3,rouge 1, 1, solo, 2. (I don’t count the sequels)

25. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Have to revise this due to recent rewatches:

1. TPM
    2. RotS
    3. AotC
    4. ANH
    5. RotJ
    6. TESB

7. RO
    8. TLJ