main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Visions: The Elder - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 15, 2021.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Oct 6, 2021.
  1. 10

28.2%
  2. 9

30.8%
  3. 8

23.1%
  4. 7

7.7%
  5. 6

5.1%
  6. 5

5.1%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

Studio: Trigger
    Director: Masahiko Otsuka

2. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Really looking forward to this one. :D

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Loved this one. This was the kind of Star Wars short film I've been waiting for.

5. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Move over General Grevious:

[​IMG]

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Wrong episode. :p

EHT and clone commander bossk like this.
  7. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Dank Ferik! I thought this was a Visions general thread. XD

clone commander bossk likes this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Is it just me any one found weird when the elder turned to dust, and his eyes.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I feel like this episode could very neatly fit into canon.

It establishes that there are ways for Sith to have survived their cataclysm 1000 years prior to TPM. So when the time comes that Qui Gon is killed by an anomaly with Jedi training, the idea is less preposterous. Let this be no mystery - the Old Man was in fact a Sith. He used Sith Lightning just as Darths Tyrannus and Sidious eventually displayed. Though he was likely a pre-Bannite who prolonged his physical life using a long lost technique.

10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I liked that. A sort of dark side mirror of Jedi disappearing when they die.

11. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    this might be a stupid question but how can I make it into the English voiceover?

12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    It was answered in the general Visions thread earlier:

Fjall likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    the English VA performance for the Jedi leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't call it phoned-in, but they were either channeling George Lucas' boring monotonic monk interpretation of the Jedi, or the performance was just subpar.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    thank you!

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    This feels like could be in a high republic time, probarly few centeruies after the defeat of the sith.

16. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I LOVED this one the jedi were interesting they reminded me of Qui-gon and Obi-Wan The elder was delightfully creepy and the lightsaber fighting was cool.

EHT likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah this was probably the one short that can be integrated seamlessly into canon, while still heavily evoking Japanese culture. Both duels were just top of the line, from the Elder just effortlessly parrying Dan's attacks to that final blow from Master Tajin. And of course James Hong just continues to be amazing. Man's 92 and he still brings it.

DarthFixxxer, EHT, Riv_Shiel and 2 others like this.
  18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, it's James Hong in the English dub? Nice. I watched the Japanese version, for some reason. I can't say that it being in Japanese made the experience better. :p

Sproj likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm a bit of an anime heathen in that I prefer dubs, but sometimes some English-speaking VAs really knock it out of the park, and Hong's been doing voice work for a long time, so it's a safe bet he'll turn in a top of the line performance.

20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Hong is wonderful in everything, so agreed.

I don't watch anime, like, at all. I watched Starzinger as a kid (dubbed into Swedish), and I've seen a few Miyazaki films (in Japanese), and that's it. I went with Japanese with this because... reasons?

21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I’ve only watched The Duel and this one so far. Visions was something that was just kind of “meh” to me from the trailers, but I thoroughly enjoyed the diversity of styles between the two stories and not being beholden to existing characters, etc.

I thoughts this episode was pretty great except for the Jedi Master’s voice. Just seemed too Episode 1 Qui-Gon, and the lack of facial expression from him was disappointing. The Elder was pretty great though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well damn, I didn’t think any of them would top The Duel but this one did it for me! Just a simple story that fits perfectly into canon. I find it very interesting that the Elder destroyed his ship so the Jedi couldn’t find any information from it. Covering his tracks. That kinda tells me he’s a Banite Sith. Anyway the Elder was super creepy and I loved Dan and Master Tajin. I'd love to see more of them. 10/10! ^:)^

Bor Mullet, EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    Really great short, the action on the rain, well done.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    He's 100% a Banite Sith IMO. This was a rare look into a rare encounter: Jedi fighting a Banite Sith and living to tell the tale, but of course, without any evidence to point the Jedi towards suspecting the Sith are still at large.

This short is firmly set in my headcanon now - there's literally nothing that could stop it from being canon.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Also love that they can't be sure they sith, gives more into the info of the rule of two that Yoda and Mace talks about.