main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "The Sleeper Has Awakened" - DUNE DISCUSSION-

Discussion in 'Community' started by Snax Rebo, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I enjoyed the miniseries. It’s not great, doesn’t necessarily provoke a strong reaction like Lynch Dune. It’s definitely not a sci fi masterpiece like the BSG miniseries,

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Bor Mullet and Count Yubnub like this.
  2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Chinese trailer is up, and it is better than the ones we got, imo.

It does make me want to see the film at a cinema, so mission accomplished.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Agree

4. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    What’s the literary history of fictional characters complaining about being forced to listen to exposition provided for the reader? Dune was maybe the first book where I really noticed it. Does Chaucer do it?

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I actually don't have much memory of the Dune miniseries itself. I do recall the Children of Dune miniseries, which is a favorite of mine and certainly surpasses my impression of any part of the BSG reboot.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Tolkien. Merry starts reciting the prologue of the series to King Theoden and Gandalf cuts him off, saying a hobbit won't shut up about pipeweed.

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I haven’t seen it, but I’ll check it out.

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I thought the Dune miniseries was alright, for the most part. I did enjoy Children of Dune more—possibly they learned what worked and what didn’t quite work.

But yeah, don’t expect miracles from it. It is very much a tv production—and while tv these days has great production values, tv at the time did not. In some ways (including the acting styles) it’s very much more like watching a stage play than like a cinematic experience.

Lordban likes this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I like the BSG reboot well enough, but Children of Dune is the SciFi Channel's finest production if you ask me.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  11. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I do hope it makes enough for the studio to greenlight part 2. Part 1 is damn near a masterpiece.

BTW, have there been any updates on The Sisterhood recently?

13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    $100 million after two weeks of international release...isn't that great. What that suggests to me is that this thing isn't going to make much more than $200, maybe $225-$250 million worldwide, which is a disaster in terms of greenlighting part 2. It will not be among the top 10 worldwide hits of 2021, probably not top 20 considering how many big end-of-year big budget flicks are on the schedule.

No Time to Die, Eternals, Spider-Man, Matrix, Ghostbusters - none of these movies has to be very good at all to out-box office Dune.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think characters commenting on excessive narration is basically as old as the novel form itself. In Don Quixote there are a bunch of lengthy anecdotes - like bordering on short stories dropped in the narrative - and the in-story presenter will talk about how they’re cutting out details to speed things along for fear of boring people, things like this.

Edit: And that’s a post from over a week ago. … Still!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Beef_Sweetener, Gamiel and Rylo Ken like this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    WB releases yet another trailer:

16. Beef_Sweetener

Beef_Sweetener Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 25, 2005
    [​IMG]

It's still going to be the only movie I see in the theater this year.

Rylo Ken and Bacon164 like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Saw the new movie today and think it was overall okej to good, if a bit to long. Was with four of my friends, one that had read the book and seen the '84 movie, he and I plan to see the second one when it comes out, the other three did not think it was bad but don't plan to see the secund one.

Thoughts:
    I really like the Sardaukar

Love the use of sign language and secondary languish for secret communications

A bit to long, there are parts that could have been cut without any lose.

A bit to colourless/dark for my taste - making everybody so dark that they often appear black do make the real black ones, like the Bene Gesserit and Harkonnen, stand out less; I should have liked a bit more vibrant green for the Atreides and have them show their colours when in armour; some other colour than brown and faded black for the Fremen, at least when they are in the city would have been nice; etc.

I have problems with the intro since it presented it as if outsiders have only been on Arrakis to mine spice and impose their will on the Fremen since the Harkonnen come there, instead of something that have been going on for who knows how long

The lack of Feyd-Rautha feels strange.

Possibly have more thoughts tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    One of the weaknesses of the original novel is that, despite there being a great amount of detail to his universe, Frank Herbert was rather vague about the spice and how everything operated on Dune. We have no idea when it was discovered for instance, which is odd for something that is the cornerstone of the entire empire. The Fremen (or at least the sum total of the Fremen and folk of the towns and villages) are implied to have been brought to the planet to be the captive workforce. The Harkonnens weren't even there for that long before turning over to the Atreides.
    Children of Dune makes the offhand revelation that the sandtrout - the larval form of the sandworms - originally came from elsewhere in the distant past, something that Herbert never followed up on.

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Question: if people and noble families have been coming and going to Arrakis for thousands of years (that's right, right?) why is there only one greenhouse/indoor-garden in Arrakeen?

20. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    If memory serves from the book. It was specifically to flaunt wealth and as Arrakeen was the capital, it was put there.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes, but why have not more people done it? It's not that hard

22. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I think the idea is that, given the lack and value of water, it is that hard.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  23. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Limited amount of water on Arrakis as far as most people were aware.

The one in Arrakeen was to flaunt and show the Fremen how they were prepared to "waste" the water but you only need to do it once for people to get the message.

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep. Only a Major House could get away with building/maintaining something like that - the cost was astronomical. None of the Minor Houses could.

And we have no idea about how long people have been going to Arrakis. The best guess, if you ignore the Brian Herbert books (which I do), is around the birth of the empire, considering that the Bene Gesserit and the Spacing Guild - whose success hinged on access to melange - rose to power at about the same time. The only real clue is in Children of Dune, where it is noted in official texts that melange's geriatric properties were first noticed in the reign of "Shakkad the Wise".

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - the house used to be owned by Count Fenring, the Emperor's right-hand man.