main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Visions: The Twins - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 15, 2021.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Oct 6, 2021.
  1. 10

11.6%
  2. 9

7.0%
  3. 8

9.3%
  4. 7

23.3%
  5. 6

16.3%
  6. 5

14.0%
  7. 4

7.0%
  8. 3

4.7%
  9. 2

2.3%
  10. 1

4.7%
  1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I liked what you could say are the bones of the episode with the dark side twins and the hypercannon Star Destroyer. Went pretty over the top though when the six lightsabers broke out then just full-on ridiculous with the Holdo Maneuver by lightsaber.

Riv_Shiel, Sarge and Sproj like this.
  2. Maud'dib

Maud'dib Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 12, 2019
    I enjoyed this 1. It was over the top that to me is part of this ep's charm.

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Yeah, the over- the-top elements at play here work in the short's favor if you ask me; that's Trigger for ya!

I feel a lot of The Last Jedi in some key visuals and thematic/narrative intent with this episode.

Darthur C. Clarke and GregMcP like this.
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    7/10. Definitely over the top as others have mentioned. This was the "force unleashed" of Visions for sure. But it was an okay watch.

5. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    7. This one had potential but it borrowed too heavily from the Saga. It has potential though and I'd like to see more.

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think we have different opinions about "borrowed from the Saga".

Yeah, this is absolutely something that happens in the Sequel sub-universe. I'm cool with that.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  7. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I usually like Trigger's stuff, especially Kill la Kill. But this short had some extra jankiness to it that really distracted me for some reason. Compared to their other work it felt sloppy.

3-4 / 10 for me, don't think I'll ever rewatch.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Gave it a 5/10. It's not terrible, but not very good either.

9. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I can see why this one is divisive, but overall I liked it, even if it does get ridiculous and over the top. It kinda works for me because it felt intentional.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'll accept it into my canon. But only as a silly cartoon that little kids watch on Saturday morning in the GFFA.

11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    These toons are not canon. Parts can be canonized like anything from Lego or Legends can. They're basically like Tales/Infinities/Visionaries were.

The twins come off as basically inspired from Irek Ismaren/Lord Nyax with his enhancements and similar background. Along with Lady Lumya. I think the most interesting thing was flashback stuff with the Sith Eternal creating them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    yes this was over the top, but still liked it.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Cutting the Star Destroyer with the super lightsaber seems plucked from TFA concept art. Probably alot of the ideas were taken from other sources and re-used.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It was a dark inverse of ANH. Twins born of unnatural experimentation grow up on a super weapon. Karre steals something vital to the super weapon and instead of working together to destroy it like Luke and Leia did their conflict results in its destruction which then leads Karre to end up where Luke began his journey. On Tatooine staring off at the twin suns. The more I watch it the more I like this one even if it’s still over the top.

15. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    EXACTLY. I couldn't really get over the space suit thing the whole time. Then, they basically redo Lightspeed Suicide.

The thing with the droid wearing a space suit, I feel like the creators were *deliberately* being ridiculous. Like, taking two of the biggest criticisms of TLJ and amping them up to 11 just to make people squirm.

I like the over-the-top nature of it, but it went just way too far with it. It was a fun watch, but no ideas that I think should be lasting.

Vader Bob likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    All the responses here just drive home that more people need to watch Kill la Kill. Or, like, any Gainax stuff. I'd also recommend Promare for more bat**** insanity from Trigger, but I haven't watched it myself yet, only know it by reputation.

The Chalk Jedi and dinnertime like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel this way about how we talk about Star Wars Animation in general cuz....A lot of ya'll seem to not watch anything animated outside of Star Wars an it shows.

LedReader, dinnertime and bstnsx704 like this.
  18. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    The more I think about this, the more I want to see it expanded sans some of the over the top elements. I'm not sure why but it's giving me Dune vibes, specifically some of the latter books with the twins being ghola/clones of Luke and Leah. Would be cool to take the premise and apply it 1000s of years in the future of the sequel timeline with force users all but extinct and these two being the rebirth of balance in the force. I dunno but this one gets my imagination going.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Wow. This was bad. I don't care if they were going for silly or not, this just stunk.

Sometimes someone will ask about sound in space in SW and I respond that what is happening is you are in a theatre being told a story in dramatic fashion and it is not a suggestion that sound carries in space. And then we get this stupidity in this episode.

Darthur C. Clarke and Sarge like this.
  20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    This was my least favorite by far. I was constantly checking to see how much longer until the end throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sproj and Sarge like this.
  21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Hah, this is Studio Trigger. I knew what to expect going into this and so "The Twins" delivered. Over-the-top insanity that makes you wonder what the writers are on is what they do. Watch Kill la Kill, Promare (Hah I loved Lio Fotia Karre), Kiznaver, Gridman and the like. Using the exact animation style as Promare without any lines like Brand New Animal the animation was the show. Only "The Village Bride" looked better than this.

The Twins are parallel test-tube-grown parallels of Luke and Leia, completely OP. Really dug how by disregarding basically everything Trigger dug into the same mysteries behind Grogu and Omega in the TV shows but with even more creativity. I dig the idea of Omega getting stabbed with a Cyber Crystal and getting her force powers that way. Tube grown, Darkside infused, brainwashed. They went all out with the lightsabers. The hyperspace suicide looked epic. 9/10.

22. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Good action sequences and some visuals but overall not a fan of the animation style and them explaining everything what they are going to do etc.

Sarge likes this.
  23. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I like the over the top aspects here just fine. I just recall there being too many on the nose allusions and references to the Saga films. I'll have to watch again though, to be fair.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I knew what to expect from this, but it was still my least favorite. I watch a lot of anime, but I've never cared for ones in this style. Just not to my tastes. 5/10

Sarge likes this.
  25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    8/10 - some cool visuals and I liked when she pulled out the 6 lightsaber look. My least favorite of the 3 I've watched so far but still liked it.