main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Tarot Trio Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Seldes_Katne, Sep 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    "We have had our summer evenings, now for October eves!"
    ~Humbert Wolfe​

It’s getting to be that time of year – time for mystery and haunting stories and hiding behind costumes, for Halloween is coming. This Autumn, I offer you a seasonal challenge: a Tarot Trio to help you produce a story that is a little (or a lot) spooky and mysterious.

I will do a three-card Tarot reading for a character of your choice. This can be an OC, or a character from the SW movies, books, comics, or games (or other fandom). Based on this reading, write a story or poem about your chosen character. Your story/poem does not have to be about Halloween or a related holiday in your fandom, but it should have a Halloween flair: make it spooky or scary, mysterious or bizarre. You may include as many other characters as you wish, but your chosen character’s story arc should be based on the Tarot cards.

Your trio of choices:
    1) You choose the deck. I have three seasonally appropriate Tarot decks: The Ghost Tarot, The Witch’s Tarot, or The Steampunk Tarot (Barbara Moore version). Click on the titles to see samples of the art styles. I would consider all three of these to be PG-rated, if that’s a concern for anyone.

2) You choose the layout. I will do one of the following for you: Past, Present, Future; or Head, Heart, Hand; or Help, Hinder, Unrealized Potential. I will provide both a picture of the layout and a basic interpretation of the cards. You are, however, free to interpret the cards yourself any way you prefer.

3) You will choose one element from one of the cards to insert into your story in a universe-appropriate way (swords become lightsabers, ghosts can be literal or figurative in your story, etc.)

Edit: Originally I had an October 31st deadline, but I'm abolishing that. There is currently no deadline for stories, and I will do three-card readings at any time any author is interested. When you've finished a story for this challenge, let me know and I’ll add it to the index. You are welcome to combine this with any other challenge, or to incorporate it into a Work in Progress.

Happy writing.... [face_pumpkin]

"When witches go riding, and black cats are seen,
    the moon laughs and whispers, 'tis near Halloween."

~Unknown​

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  2. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Findswoman likes this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, I have to say I am really super tempted by this. Those decks (and tarot cards generally) are super gorgeous and evocative, and I could see where a challenge like this would lend itself well to combining with other ideas and prompts I’m already working with.

A quick question before I dig in in earnest: could you please tell me a little more about the layouts, what they look like, what they mean, etc.?
    I know this is probably basic tarot terminology—I just don’t know a lot about it! Thanks so much! :)

Kahara, amidalachick and Seldes_Katne like this.
  4. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Sure. I've been doing Tarot "classes" as part of my library's Harry Potter programming (Divination Class!), and I tend to just rattle off terminology. It also helps to have cards where people can see them....

A three-card layout basically sets the cards three in a row. This photo illustrates the Past, Present, Future reading: The first card would highlight something that happened in the past, the second shows how it's progressed to the present, and the third suggests how it will develop or resolve in the future.

For Head, Heart, and Hand, the cards can suggest someone or something a person is thinking about (Head) someone or something a person cares about (Heart), and what that person can do about the situation (Hand). This reading could help develop a character

For Help, Hinder, Unrealized Potential: This is more of a situational reading. After identifying a conflict or problem, the Help card would suggest something that would move a resolution forward, the Hinder card identifies difficulties in solving the problem, and the Unrealized Potential card points to someone or something the person hadn't considered that could resolve the issue. This is probably the most focused of the three readings, since an issue is identified before the reading begins.

Just to make life more interesting, most Tarot cards can be interpreted a number of ways, sometimes literally, sometimes symbolically. I frequently use the Death Card for this point: it can mean a literal death, but usually means a final closure and even a chance for new beginnings. One of my examples is "You've graduated from high school. That part of your life is over, and you can't go back to it. Now you have the opportunity to go to college/ enter a trade/ enlist in the military/ start a full-time job/ etc." This is why I give people the opportunity to interpret the cards themselves -- they may see things there that pertain to their character or plot that I don't, or the cards may give them a new slant on their story. Use the cards in any way that helps you as a writer.

I hope that helped, as opposed to just making things more confusing.... [face_hypnotized]

5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    May I please have Head, Heart, Hand layout with the Steampunk tarot? Thanks!

6. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    I will do that this evening after work. Am I reading for a specific character, or to just see where the cards take you?

7. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Just to see where the cards lead. Thanks:)

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks for the explanation, @Seldes_Katne , that's very helpful to a Nichtkennerin such as myself! :)

So, I think I would like to try Head, Heart, Hand with the Witch's Tarot deck, please. I have a potential character or two in mind, but I think to start with I'd just like to see where the cards lead. Thanks! :D

9. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    And here are the cards:

[​IMG]
    Keep in mind that the cards represent personality types, which can be displayed by a person of any gender or, depending on your characters, of no gender at all.

Head: The Hermit. We think of hermits as loners living in the wilderness, but the Hermit is often an explorer as well. S/He goes alone into unfamiliar territory (mentally, physically, emotionally or spiritually) and can serve as a guide to those who come after. This card can also represent self-examination, or looking within for answers or insights. Note the lantern, used to light the way for anyone who follows the Hermit on his/her path.

Heart: The Emperor. This is someone who looks at the big picture, brings order to chaos, and plans ahead for the future. It can represent someone who relies on rational thought, rather than the “follow your heart” mindset. The Emperor is in control, an authority figure. (Interesting that it turned up in the "Heart" position. Perhaps there's a conflict....)

Hand: the Heirophant. This person represents orthodoxy or conventional wisdom. “We’ve always done it like this.” The Heirophant also teaches the ways and rules to the coming generations. Sometimes this leads to stability; sometimes it gets in the way of progress. Note the keys on the ground in this picture, which can symbolize unlocking mysteries (or locking away something unwanted…).

These are basic interpretations, and you're free to interpret them however you wish. Sometimes a detail in the card will stand out as important, as opposed to the usual meaning. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps to inspire your writing.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  10. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Here are your cards:
    [​IMG]

As mentioned above, keep in mind that the cards represent personality types, which can be displayed by a person of any gender or, depending on your characters, of no gender at all.

Head: Nine of Pentacles. Pentacles, or coins, represent material wealth or good health (or both). This card depicts a successful person, whose plans are almost complete. You have what you need for a good life, due in large part to your own hard work and talents. It can also suggest a time of solitude, either to enjoy what you have, or to consider what you want to do next.

Heart: Five of Wands. Wands represent tasks or projects; this particular card is a conflict card, as it shows five people fighting, either over the direction a group/individual should take, or over the leadership of the group, or over how to achieve goals. It could also mean the need to compete against others to get what you want.

Hand: Queen of Swords: Swords represent the Intellect. This card usually represents a woman (or someone who identifies as female) who is insightful and keenly perceptive, and who prefers to “go it alone.” This person can also be seen as cool (or cold) and mostly emotionless, although that might just be a front. Note the two blue jays and the bird depicted on the chair arm; intellect is sometimes represented by the element of Air. (That glowing thing near her feet appears to be a fairy of some sort, which would also represent Air.)

These are the basic meanings behind the cards, but you may see a detail that stands out for you, or the picture(s) may suggest something other than the standard interpretation. Use the card images as inspiration in any way you find useful. Let know if you have questions.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    @Seldes_Katne , I just noticed that the images of both @Raissa Baiard 's and my card layouts seem to have evaporated—I recall that they showed up fine when they were first posted, but now I'm getting a big gray "do not enter" symbol looking thing for both of them. I downloaded mine, so I'm OK, but I kind of wonder what happened and wanted to check. :)

12. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    @Findswoman: Yup. I don't know what it is about TFN and photos, but I keep losing mine when I post them. I've re-inserted the images, and will check back periodically to make sure they stay in place. Thanks for the heads-up!

13. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    May I please have a Past, Present, Future Reading? Thank you

14. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    With which of her three decks? ;)

Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  15. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I didn’t realise there different decks!

Ghost deck please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    @Seldes_Katne - what host are you using to upload the pictures? Imgur is kinda a pain, but it seems to work the best in my experience. If you need help getting it to work, feel free to PM me and we'll try to figure it out.

I definitely want to do this as I LOVE the idea, I just have to figure out who I want/what I want to do. The muse is being so finicky I want to make sure that it will be as cooperative as possible

17. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm willing try Imgur. Right now I have pictures stored in my Google Photos space, but that doesn't seem to work any better than stashing them in my Facebook account, and I see no point in going back to Photobucket. I'll play with Imgur and see what I can get it to do.

Right now the pictures seem okay, but that could change tomorrow....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  18. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    I think the Ghost Deck is my favorite for reading at Halloween, although of course I like them all. :)

@Kit', here are your cards:

[​IMG]

Past: The Lovers: This card can mean literal lovers, or it can mean two (or more) people passionately devoted to a project or idea. It suggests that your character was once part of partnership or a closely-knit group of friends/family. If this is still the case, your character may have a ready-made support group; if there has been a falling out, this could create any number of problems.

Present: Three of Cups: (Cups represent emotions and relationships.) Celebrate! Things are good right now. Your character has successfully completed a project or mission, or have regained something that was lost. This card suggests recovery from an illness or injury, finding/indulging in a hobby one enjoys, a possible marriage or path to marriage, or some other good news of a personal nature.

Future: Queen of Pentacles (Coins): (Coins represent material wealth or good health) A generous woman/female may make a material contribution. This can be a gift of money, goods, or something that improves a person’s physical or emotional health. Will this person make the contribution to your character, or to someone else? This card can also represent someone with good business sense, or someone who likes to display their wealth.

I've provided some general meanings here, but remember that you may interpret these cards any way you wish.

This picture is currently on Imgur, so we'll see how that goes. I've also included a direct link, so if this image isn't available, you should still be able to get to it. I'll keep checking. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy writing! :)

19. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    The deadline is past, but I'm intrigued by the concept. Don't know when I'll have a chance to write, I'm dealing with some family issues and health issues (brought on by the family issues), but would you mind terribly doing a layout for me? Head, Heart, Hand with the Steampunk deck? I love this idea!

20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Great to see you here, @Mistress_Renata ! :cool:

Actually, @Seldes_Katne , what she brings up is something I’ve been wondering about: how do you feel about the challenge going on as a non-deadline thing now that the originally stated deadline has passed? I am working on my contribution for it, which is about 2/3 of the way done—I just had some other projects in the way, but I would still love to be part of this challenge, too. :)

amidalachick and Kahara like this.
  21. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm perfectly fine with people picking up this challenge any time they wish -- the deadline was pretty flexible anyway, and I realize that life happens. I just thought it would make for a fun Halloween activity, but tarot really can be done anytime. Post the story whenever you get it finished. I'm looking forward to it. :)

You're welcome to join in, Mistress_Renata. I will do a reading for you this evening, and will post it tomorrow.

22. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Your cards, @Mistress_Renata:

[​IMG]

Head: Four of Swords. This indicates that a time of rest or respite is being taken, or is needed. Your character may need a break, or might be taking some time away to reflect on a situation. This can suggest a literal rest, or mentally stepping back from a situation. The swords on the wall suggest a crisis or a time of difficulty is happening or pending.

Heart: The Star. This is one of my favorite cards in almost any tarot deck. It's almost always positive -- a star symbolizes hope and guidance, whether it's being used by sailors to navigate, the Magi using it to find that special child, or the Blue Lantern Corps (in DC Comics) speaking their oath ("Look to the stars, for Hope burns bright!") This card suggests either a person or object that brings hope by providing a path to success.

Hand: Eight of Cups. Walking away from a situation or relationship that doesn't work any more. No matter how much time and effort have been put into building or maintaining a project, at some point we must leave it behind, voluntarily or otherwise. It may be done with either joy or grief, depending on the situation. In this card, the woman walks away from something she has built or discovered. It is possible, however, that the object or event may later benefit someone else.

Of course, the images may suggest other meanings to you, and you may interpret them accordingly.

23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, another wonderful layout! @Mistress_Renata , I envy your getting the Star. :D I really can’t wait to see what kind of stories these very unique prompts will inspire!

So, @Seldes_Katne , I have a question about one element of one of my cards:
    The Queen of Swords looks like she is holding a bunch of spiky purple flowers, looking like lavender or Russian sage. I was wondering what those are (they don’t seem to be part of the traditional Rider-Waite version of this card), and if they any kind of symbolic import, too. If it’s a fragrant plant like those two, could it too be related to the element or air?

amidalachick and Kahara like this.
  24. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    You are correct, Findswoman. The Queen is holding lavender, which is associated with protection, and lily of the valley, which symbolizes a return to happiness. Since both are fragrant herbs, they are associated with Air. (This is all according to the Witches Tarot guidebook. My knowledge of botany is painfully limited -- really wish I had taken that course in college....) And yes, while this deck is modeled after the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, the artist added other symbols to the images.

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Thank you, @Seldes_Katne! It's a very interesting reading, and hangs together very well. (Also a beautiful deck!) Now to let this percolate a bit...so many characters...so much potential!