main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge WIPtober! (Finish WIPs, Win Prizes!)—Sign Up Now through Sept. 30!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman , Sep 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hey, everybody! Guess what's coming...
    WIPtober!
    [​IMG]
    (Previous WIP months: WIPuary, February 2020 | June 2020, April 2021)

So, what is it?
    A challenge for finishing (or at least making progress on) WIPs, of course! The concept is adapted from the WIPtober challenge hosted each October by http://wipweek.tumblr.com. Participants commit to getting a certain amount done on their WIPs, report regularly on their progress, and then share their completed work at the end of the month so we all can enjoy it! Plus, in JCF’s WIP Months, you can also support your fellow writers by committing to review a certain number of the WIPs being worked on. And you get rewarded for either!

We're going to take the same approach as we did back in our April 2021 WIP Month: writers will be able to choose any combination of small goals, medium goals, and/or large goals from the list below, depending on what they feel they can manage. Here are your options:

Small Goals
    100: Write 100 words on a given WIP.
    300: Write 300 words on a given WIP.
    500: Write 500 words on a given WIP.
    Scene: Finish a certain scene in a given WIP.

Medium Goals
    1000: Write 1000 words on a given WIP.
    2000: Write 2000 words on a given WIP.
    Finish Chapter: Finish a chapter, post, or other major section's worth of writing in a given WIP.
    Finish One-Shot: Finish a given single-chapter WIP.

Large Goals
    5000+: Write 5000 or more words on a given WIP.
    Finish Multiple One-Shots: Finish more than one single-chapter WIP.
    Finish Multi: Finish a given multichapter WIP!

Sounds good... how do I take part?
    Easy-peasy! First, post in this thread before 11:59 pm (23:59) PST on September 30 specifying which small, medium, or large goals you choose to take on for WIP Month. You may choose any number of goals, and they can be from more than one of the size categories! For example...
    • Writer1 chooses a Scene in order to finish the cantina scene of "Story1." They also take a 200 for "Story2."
    • Writer2 opts for a 100 on "Tale1," another 100 on "Tale2," and a Finish One-Shot on "Tale3."
    • Writer3 takes a Chapter to finish chapter 10 of "Epic1" and a Finish Multi on "Epic2."
    • And Writer4 goes with a 300 on “Triple-Drabble-O-Rama."
    I’ll add the relevant to the challenge index below (post #2). After that, it’s kind of like a word race: you can report on your progress throughout the month, and I’ll update the challenge index with that information accordingly. As you go, you may share links to the works or chapters of works you finish. Links of works whose goals have been achieved will be shown in bold in the index.

How do I take part as a reviewer?
    That's easy-peasy, too. Simply post in this thread before September 30 specifying how many of your fellow participants’ WIP stories you commit to reviewing during the month of April. (You don’t need to specify which specific WIPs, just a number.) I’ll add you to the reviewers’ portion of the challenge index. Then, when you post one of your reviews, share the link in this thread, and I’ll record it in the list.

(Please note: your review has to be on one of the stories from the writers’ challenge index in post 2 for it to count. Also, you’re committing to reviewing a certain number of individual stories, not to writing a certain number of reviews. Reviewing different chapters of the same story unfortunately doesn’t count.)

Are there prizes?
    Yes, most definitely! They are, of course, different depending on which type of goal you take on.
    • For each small or medium goal you achieve, the relevant story will be promoted in a special edition of the Reader’s Choice thread at the beginning of November 2021, in celebration of the wonderful work that I know will be done during this WIP Month! :D
    • For each large goal you achieve, you will receive 72 hours of colors! (Thank you mods for allowing this once again!)
    • If you participate as a reviewer, you will receive 24 hours of colors for every five (5) reviews you write.

Please Note:
    1. The deadline for signing up, for both writers and reviewers, is September 30. (So you have a little over ten days from the posting of this OP.)
    2. Any member of JCF may sign up, but please don’t sign up both yourself and a sock. Honor system, and all that.
    3. You may sign up as a writer, a reviewer, or both.
    4. Those signing up as writers may sign up for any number of goals, of any type. (E.g., “I commit to writing 300 words on ‘Meet Padawan McGillicuddy,’ writing 500 words on ‘Padawan McGillicuddy’s Bad Day,’ and finishing ‘Padawan McGillicuddy’s Epic Multichapter Adventure.’”)
    5. This challenge only counts work done on WIPs during the month of October. Again, honor system.
    6. MOOIE, MOOIE IMPORTANT: If you are participating as a writer, whichever goals you choose, you may NOT add WIPs to the challenge index after September 30. (This is to encourage people to stick with the stories they commit to at the beginning of the challenge. It kind of defeats the purpose if people can just add whatever extra plot bunnies happen to pop into their minds during the month of October.)
    7. The maximum amount of colors anyone can win is one week’s worth, whether you are signed up as a writer, a reviewer, or both.
    8. If you end up not being able to keep your full commitment for any reason at all, don’t worry! Just do what you can, because you can still win and be recognized—and have a good time while you’re at it, which is the main thing! :)
    9. Any further questions, feel free to ask right here in the thread!

Now good luck, and may the WIPs be with you!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Index of Participants
    Writers
    RX_Sith
    ViariSkywalker
    Kahara
    devilinthedetails
    Starith
    Mira_Jade
    earlybird-obi-wan
    Findswoman
    • Small: Write a scene of my Tarot Trio Challenge story
    • Medium: Finish Lasan Series one-shot: Child of Lasan—Child of Lira San (Triptych)
    • Medium: Finish one-shot in response to multiple mini-games prompts (classical music, wistful piano, names): Bright Sadness
    • Medium: 1000 on story for Douglas Adams Challenge
    Raissa Baiard
    • Small: 100 on untitled Ezra story
    • Medium: Finish one chapter of Wolf Brother
    • Medium: Finish the last chapter of Do Not Disturb
    • Medium: Finish the last chapter of Beginnings
    • Medium: Finish Wren/Kaz one-shot for Louis Armstrong challenge
    amidalachick
    • Small: 100 on Louis Armstrong Mini-Games response
    • Small: 100 on untitled "blanket" fic
    • Small: 100 on untitled "5 things" fic
    • Small: 100 on untitled "Mando" fic
    • Small: 300 words on untitled "aro/ace" fic
    • Small: 300 on I'll Stand By You Always
    • Small: 500 on Lovin' You
    • Medium: Finish a chapter of A Sleigh Ride Together With You
    • Medium: Finish a chapter of Devil's Arcade (tentative title)
    • Medium: Finish a chapter of untitled "vacation/honeymoon" fic
    • Medium: Finish a chapter of untitled "coffeehouse" fic
    • Medium: Finish one-shot for OTP Challenge #22
    • Medium: 1000 on Brothers Under The Bridges (tentative title)
    • Large: Finish multiple untitled oneshots (Mini-Games Haiku challenge; Poetic Nature roulette; various other prompts & random WIPs)
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Chyntuck
    • Medium: finish untitled OC Challenge one-shot
    • Large: 5000 on The Tale of Noora and Seyf
    • Large: 5000 on The Kyberkerk of Jedha
    • Large: 5000 on Outsiders
    Kit’
    • Small: 500 on Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails
    • Medium: 1000 words on How It Ends (unpublished)
    • Medium: 2000 words on The Senator and the Knight (Mills and Boon fic, unpublished)
    • Large: Finish three one shots: for OC Challenge, OTP Challenge, and Haiku Challenge/Dead Poet's Society Challenge: A Lesson in Death, Leaping to Conclusions, Tidepool
    Pandora
    Seldes_Katne
    • Medium: Finish Haiku Challenge one-shot: Huntress

Reviewers
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: 10 | 10
    RX_Sith: 5 | 5
    Mira_Jade: 10 | 10
    Kahara: 5
    devilinthedetails: 5 | 5
    Findswoman: 5 | 5
    amidalachick: 10 | 10
    Mechalich: 5
    Chyntuck: 5
    ViariSkywalker: 5 | 5
    Pandora: 5
    Seldes_Katne: 5 | 5

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  3. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I was literally just thinking about this! [face_laugh] I will definitely be back with some goals. So many WIPs... [face_hypnotized] :p

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I commit as a reviewer: 7 WIPs

5. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really understand the "only WIPs worked on during the month of April count" rule. Why is that?

6. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah, my mistake, that should say “October”! It was just a leftover from when I copied and pasted from the previous one of these challenges. Sorry about that—it’s fixed now!
    Great to have you on board again! :) Just one thing: could you please make it either 5 or 10, or some other multiple of five? We’re awarding colors for reviews by every five reviews, so that will make the math easier. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  7. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Will do one WIP and review 5 WIP’s

8. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I’ve got you down for five reviews, but I’m going to need a bit more detail on what you mean by “one WIP”—which of the specific goal(s) listed in the OP do you want to try for? :)

9. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Will try to do large goal of 5000+ words on WIP

10. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Okay, time to set some unrealistic goals! :p

Medium Goals:
    1. Finish Chapter 23 of Enter the Foreign
    2. Finish final post for The Way Out Is Through
    3. 2,000 words for Darth Ferrus fic
    4. 1,000 words for Allana vig for Latin mini challenge
    5. Finish vignette for Romanticism Roulette mini challenge

Large Goals:
    1. 5,000+ words for Enter the Foreign
    2. Finish Darth Ferrus multi-chapter fic
    3. Finish multiple one-shots for mini games challenge (Latin and Romanticism prompts)

11. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Alright, let's see, before I can talk myself into trying for more or less... :p

5 reviews

2 medium goals (first is to write 2000 more words on Twin Suns Bed & Breakfast and Other Stories, second is to write another chapter of an untitled multichapter story that hasn't been posted yet)

12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Ooh, yay, so happy to see you hosting this event again, @Findswoman![face_dancing]It's always such excellent motivation for my muse and me.

So, let's set myself some ambitious goals:

As a writer:

Small goals:
    -100 words on The Ground Quakes and Trembles
    -300 words on Cold Harvest
    -500 words on Fire Doesn't Have to Burn
    -Finish a scene for Can't Regret What Was Done for Love

Medium goals:
    -1000 words on Inherit the Earth
    -Finish a chapter of Hocquet Night
    -2000 words on Everywhere Peace, Everywhere Serenity

Large goals:
    -Complete multiple oneshots (as yet untitled-titles to be announced on completion)
    -Finish a multi-chapter work in progress: All the Difference

As a reviewer: Review 5 stories

Conclusion: I have a lot of WIPs and ideas for more stories churning around in my head. Let's see how much progress I can make on them and how many I can finish!:cool:

13. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Woohoo! Wonderful to see folks joining up! I’ve updated the index in post 2; please check that everything there looks correct. (Indeed, if you could please do that every time I make an update, that would be great, because these are hectic times for me that make me liable to forget things!) This is shaping up to be a swell WIP Month already! :D

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Findswoman - I signed up for 7 reviews. Does it need to be 5 or 10?

15. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    Would it be OK to do this with a fancomic, as long as it meets the word count requirements?

16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, it’s just that colors are awarded as 24 hours for every five reviews (rather than each individual review), so it is slightly easier to do the math when multiples of five are involved. If you would really like to do seven, you can, but please know that that would only give you max the same amount of colors as five reviews. Is that all right?

Sure, totally fine by me! :)

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Then I'll bump up to 10 ;)

18. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    In that case, I'll shoot for the writer's goals of Small - 500 words to start, and Medium - 1000 words, for Past Tension. [face_coffee]

19. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE THIS UP AND RUNNING AGAIN! As always, I have to give a big ol' hip hip hurrah to @Findswoman for hosting this event! It's always such an inspiring time as both a reader and a writer. And, as a writer . . . dear goodness but do I have WIPs to choose from. [face_blush] 8-} So, let's see . . .

I want to tread that fine line between being realistic and challenging myself, but who am I kidding? I'm going to submit yet another ambitious list, and then see how much I can chip away at. [face_mischief]

Small Goals
    Write the next scene of and thus revive [Thor] This Soft Season Will Come

Medium Goals
    Finish the last chapter of my Fantastical Fencing in [A:TLA] A Universe of Beaches (Or, if I finish that by then, post the beginning of my Prime Time Coverage)
    Finish my AU Archery in [The Rookie] This 'n' That 'n' Those
    Finish an as-of-yet untitled Mini-Games vignette

Large Goals
    Write 5000+ words on Now You're a Home
    Write 5000+ words on So Few Things
    Finish Something There

And, if you would please, put me down for 10 reviews, as always. :D

*cracks knuckles* All right, then! Let's do this! ;) :cool: [face_dancing]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great I have two stories in the making that need to get going with this
    Small Goals
    Write 500 words on a untitled story for the Star Wars wildlife watch by @Seldes_Katne .
    Finish a scene for the Star Wars wildlife watch by @Seldes_Katne .

Medium Goals
    Finish a chapter, post, or other major section's worth of writing on a untitled story for the Star Wars wildlife watch by @Seldes_Katne .
    Finish a given single-chapter on a untitled story inspired by the "Cozy Comfy Reads" from @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha .

Large Goals
    Finish a untitled story for the Star Wars wildlife watch by @Seldes_Katne .

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    And done! :)
    OK, so, does this mean you are going to first work toward 500 on "Past Tension" and then toward another 1000, also on "Past Tension"? Just want to make sure I understand aright.
    And got it all in, thanks so much! Always great to have you on board! Though please check to make sure I didn't inadvertently forget anything. :)

Great, thanks so much, and glad to have you on board! :) Just to check that I have this right: is the "untitled story for the Star Wars Wildlife Watch" the same story for all of these, or are you doing more than one story for that challenge?

Thank you all once again—always so wonderful to see the participants coming in! This WIPtober looks like it's going to generate some fantastic reading! :cool:

And now, finally, to set some goals for myself, which I've been putting off doing:

Medium: Finish the untitled Lasan Series one-shot I'm working on
    Medium: Finish one-shot in response to multiple mini-games prompts (classical music, wistful piano, names)
    Medium: 1000 on story for Douglas Adams Challenge

Also, five (5) reviews.

So, here goes! I think (hope) these should be manageable—if nothing else, they can jumpstart me back to writing again, and just that right there is huge.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  22. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    Yes, both for "Past Tension", if that's all right. I thought I'd start with a small goal and see if I surpass it.

amidalachick, Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Good, then I got it in the index right! Thanks much! :)

amidalachick, Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    @Findswoman said "Just to check that I have this right: is the "untitled story for the Star Wars Wildlife Watch" the same story for all of these, or are you doing more than one story for that challenge?"
    It is the same story and I have a title for it 'Icky stuff and creatures'

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Great, thanks, earlybird! I've updated the index accordingly.

I've also added one more Small goal for myself: write a scene to get started on a story for the Tarot Trio Challenge.

Kahara and amidalachick like this.