main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I wonder if they want to use the mass shadow generators to make a new Nihilus

SheaHublin, AusStig and Gerak like this.
  2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Or stumble accidentally on the Path Engine concept and improve their hyperdrive via artificial massshadows countering other mass shadows effect allowing closer entry and exit in atmosphere?

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

Gerak likes this.
  3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Finally caught my newest Smuggler and Agent up to the present.
    Both started off as textbook members of their default faction (Pure Light and Dark respectively), though their time in carbonite and later events in KOTFE changed them both.
    Smuggler became a lot more brash and brutish, and Agent developed a conscience. Fundamentally though they're both pragmatists that will do whatever makes the Alliance stronger, even if it chafes with their first instincts, so both saved Senya and aimed to recruit as many contacts as possible, even the more blood thirsty ones. Lastly, they each decided to swap sides and become double agents. (Quite the contrast withy My Always light Knight and Always Dark Inquisitor).

Gotta say, the Saboteur route makes me feel terrible no matter which side I'm on, though the Republic is markedly worse.

Now I'm just waiting for Hylo's Wookiee Senator friend to come back and make me regret killing him in 3-4 of my characters.[face_worried]
    In any case going forward I'll be playing the storylines in reverse guilt order: Inquisitor, Smuggler, Agent, Knight. That way I can see the galaxy get a little brighter every time I play.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Some new cutscenes with the latest update

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oooooh Arcann.

Darth Nul? Colour me curious.

And it’s ancient in 3600 BBY?

6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    The Great Hyperspace war happened 1400 years ago, in our world that gets you to the late classical period. So anything from the old Sith Empire would be ancient.

7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    So Darth Nul is another pre-Sadow ‘Darth’ potentially. Like Andeddu and Vitus.

SheaHublin and AusStig like this.
  8. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    (jango fett voice) Possibly.

We shall see.

9. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    Darth Nul could also be an early member of Vitiate's Sith Empire. Like maybe one of the first members of the Dark Council a la Darth Zavakon.

AusStig likes this.
  10. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    There was a Warb (Darth?) Null mucking about around the same time as Exar Kun, though his story seems limited to Onderon.
    Was less a Darth and more of a jobber between Nadd and an unnamed Sith Spirit Protector. He still had rad armor though, would love to see that make its way into the game.
    [​IMG]

11. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Barden Golah appears to debrief the Imperial players about the discovery of Darth Null, was kind of Disappointed Leeha Narezz didn't show up to debrief Republic players. Would have been an interesting reunion with my Knight.

Also I can't help but notice they never mentioned the name of the Shadow world....

SheaHublin, Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  12. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Well, we do know that Andeddu was one of the Exiles, and accordingly that the title wasn't in use prior to him, so not definitely earlier than about 7000- 6900 BBY. Unless of course Vitus was somehow even earlier than that era...

It is worth noting that we never got Andeddu's original, pre-Darth name. I also can't help but wonder if any of the other Exiles also had Darth names, and that Vitus (and any upcoming Darth characters) was just the assumed Sith name of an Exile or other powerful Lord of the ancient Sith Empire. Maybe that "typo" from the Warfare Guide about "Darth Naga Sadow" wasn't a typo at all...

ColeFardreamer and kalzeth like this.
  13. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    When was "Dark Lord of the Sith" shortened to Darth anyway? Or rather, at what point was the rakatan "Daritha" shortened to "Darth" as a title? Maybe the exiles used Daritha still, maybe not.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I am toying with the prospect of trying TOR out for the first time. For those who play, I have two questions:

1) Do you need to interact a lot with others online? This was the reason I quit WoW. It was impossible to complete quests without other RL players.
    2) Are there a lot of grind-type quests? The day Thrawn asked me to collect 10 vials of fambaa blood was the day I quit Galaxies.

AusStig likes this.
  15. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Unless you want to do Flashpoints or Raids, you don't have to interact with people that much. As for grind quests, it's not as bad as WoWs endless collecting random stuff. It's more 'Go here and kill this', or talk to an NPC or something. Which can be better or worse, depending. It's certainly more cinematic.

16. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Both your questions can be answered fairly easily: Its optional.
    And it also very much depends on how much of a completionist you are. Optional quests can some times come off as grindy but you don't have to do them unless you really need the XP boost (And its pretty hard to fall behind from what I've seen).

Its also worth noting that while all class stories are unique, when they get done with them there is only really one story in the post game content. As someone who has done it, its really not very enjoyable doing the post game story with more than one or two classes. Different flavors, same basic tasks.

17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    1. No. Not if you don't want to. You will SEE them, but you don't have to do anything with them.
    2. There are some. If you subscribe (which I recomend at least for the first month as it unlocks a lot o stuff) you don't have, if you don't then there are some quests to get X numbers of Y, either by killing or looting stuff.

Each class has it's story for the first 50ish levels. And those are good.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmmm this is really interesting. Thanks folks! From what I had seen online over the years, it seemed much more story-based than traditional MMOs but it was hard to gauge how many mundane grind quests there were. Might as well give it a shot.

19. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think it is a shame it is an mmo and not a singleplayer game with online elements. As i think that would fit it better.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  20. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    That's one of the things i like about SWTOR, that it is completely optional to do things in groups, and it lets you get familiar with the game and take your time before you try out those things if you like what you're playing, in my first year playing the game i was a complete loner and i never interacted with anybody, as i kept playing for myself, i ended up getting into the game a lot and felt compelled to try out group activities too for more content.

@AusStig Even if you don't subscribe there's a lot of XP boosts and many quests that aren't grindy at all, the Planetary Quests tend to be less grindy and more focused on the Planetary story, and those help you level up as well as enrich the story, back when i was F2P i could level up without doing most of the grindy stuff.

And as i remember, the most grindy missions are the bonuses (especially the ones that come in phases) which don't even count as quests per se, but an extra to the normal quests.

I am really excited about the Combat System update, it's going to open the door for many unique characters that i want to make, it opens the door for new possibilities in that sense (too bad my current PC can't handle playing this in anything other than Very Low, and even that has issues lol).

AusStig likes this.
  21. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    @Barriss_Coffee If you play for the story, you can play solo the entire game. You can also focus on story missions without doing any side missions.

Some nice concept art from Jedi Enclave mission:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I should really revisit TOR at some point. The last time I played was during the lock-down in 2020, when I completed the Jedi Knight class storyline. I actually tend to have more fun with the Imperial classes than the Republic classes, but I still really got into my Jedi Knight character. Especially since I played him as a very human and flawed individual who is far from being a "perfect Jedi." Ideally I like to depict my Old Republic characters as anti-heroes and give them an arc. Sometimes that means having a Jedi slowly lose his idealism as his missions take a toll on his mental health, leading him to do more and more horrible things if he thinks it means protecting the rest of the galaxy while leaving him a broken man trying to keep himself together.

...yeah, I take my Old Republic games very seriously. My favorite class storyline is still the Imperial Agent's, which is in my opinion the best written of the class storylines. Though Sith Warrior and Bounty Hunter are personal favorites of mine as well. Quite honestly, the Old Republic is one of my favorite things in all of Star Wars. It, along with The Clone Wars, is what really got me into the universe outside of the films. I've been playing it for years and it made me a bigger fan, which is why this game will always have a special place in my heart. Because it did make me want to know more about the Star Wars galaxy, especially its older conflicts and lore. And it gave me some of my favorite Star Wars moments, especially since I was really able to turn its stories into my own.

The Old Republic has been good to me.

23. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Have you played the new post EE story?

24. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    To be completely honest... I only ever did "Free to Play" while I watched cutscenes of the subscriber content online. I am incredibly cheap like that.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    haha ok. If you subscribe for a month you unlock all the content even if you cancel the next month.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel (imp side) has the same writer as the agent.

kalzeth likes this.