main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Many VAs voiced multiple characters. Dee Bradley Baker voiced hundreds of characters.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    But that's not my point. If the idea is to get Ventress back into the fray as some form of "spirit", maybe the voice in the Sith Temple is part of it.

3. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ah OK, misread my bad!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    That’s a good observation. I remember at the time they asked Filoni who the voice was in the Malachor temple and he said he had an idea but he wasn’t willing to reveal.

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Malachor Sith temple idea would not worked, since that temple is ancient. Ventress being on Malachor would not of made any sense, especially as a Nightsister spirit, she was certainly not a Sith.

Seems they didnt have much good or original ideas in mind. Being that Disney owned Lucasfilm was set on eliminating PT/TCW/Legacy characters at the time in very callous and indifference to Lucas and his vision. They had an older Maul show up at the Sith temple to duel and killed by Vader originally while an older Ventress would've showed up in a Sith temple to duel and presumably get killed by Kylo Ren. In the end, it would not of made much difference than the typical write off. Maybe something changed within Lucasfilm post 2016-2017.

They never explained why Maul was using the heavily promoted Ventress lightsaber from Dark Disciple in Season 7. They also heavily retconned Maul and Ahsoka and changed the dynamic of the Siege of Mandalore from what we read in the Ashoka novel. Solo also changed things for Maul and their Rebels era commenting which always sounded like BS. They changed some stories and characters for the released Season 7. So something changed internally storywise.

My guess if they had the funds to animate Son of Dathomir they would have also altered the storyline and made changes.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's news to me. In what venue was it suggested that Disney wanted to completely eliminate the PT & TCW characters?

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nowhere, just a common conspiracy theory originating from the likes of the Fandom Menace and Mike Zeroh.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  8. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    In fact it was actually George Lucas himself who began systematically killing off the original Clone Wars characters starting with Season 5. We saw characters like Savage and Satine get dramatically killed off and then he had set up the stories for Talzin and Ventress getting killed off after that. I believe Lucas would have also killed off Cad Bane which is likely what we were watching in the animatic for the unproduced Boba/Bane arc. Luckily Filoni was able to save Bane for use in the current stories. At the time it was said somewhere that Lucas wanted to wipe the slate clean of any Force users prior to the original trilogy, and i believe it was brought up in the context of Lucas wanting Ahsoka to die and Filoni wanting her to live, we'd have to find the references to that. I think Bane's death would have been in the service of cementing Fett's legacy as the greatest bounty hunter. I'm glad that didn't happen.

9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Not eliminate but they sure made an effort to bury the era. Rebel Force Radio had TCW actors tell them this, so we know it's true.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    A couple of actors not in the know giving their opinions on something and actual evidence of something are not the same. If you look at all the evidence over the past 9 years there's plenty of acknowledgement and use of PT and TCW elements.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well of course the notion of killing off the characters, including Ahsoka, just so they'd save the "well where were they?" pushback from fans regarding the established OT stories has been commonly known. But that's different from Disney getting involved; the suggestion that the house with the Mouse just wanted to wipe the slate clean was a little outlandish.

12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Acknowledgement and use is one thing, putting the PT entirely in the background is another. Why else was TCW cancelled?

13. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    It's not outlandish at all, and there is nothing conspiratorial about it. As aforementioned, TCW was cancelled, new Battlefront game was OT only, Rebels was OT show (with TCW cameos starting from season 2, which is something Filoni made possible, because he was the showrunner).
    The Art of The Mandalorian book mentioned, that Lucasfilm pivoted toward an Original Trilogy-focused storytelling initiative under the Walt Disney Company and new president Kathleen Kennedy.

Darkslayer and Vorax like this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    That's hugely different from "burying" the era or deliberately "eliminating" characters. If I were a major media company I'd also probably avoid the more maligned aspects of my franchise, but I'd also have the sense not to intentionally alienate the few fans those aspects have. And with Star Wars, yes there was a big push to reestablish focus on the OT, but there was still plenty of PT content coming out.

As for TCW, it being cancelled was due to a whole host of reasons, none of which had to do with its setting or characters.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I am not trying to upset you at all, but we do have evidence that that is point blank not true. I’d think the cast of the show would know more than anyone except Dave Filoni about why they lost their jobs, especially since several of them remained with the company.

Look, Disney’s not doing it anymore, and that’s great. I actually am really pleased with their new direction for Stat Wars. But we can’t pretend that 2012-2019 never happened.

*Edited for clarity of message

cwustudent likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    VAs are just contractors- the ones working for LFL might be considered more than that, but in the hierarchy of the company that's all they are.

Anyway, I can hardly be upset by people being wrong about stuff on the internet, just mildly irked. You're happy with SW? Great, let's not call a spade a spade and just go forward with more of that positive thinking.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    TCW/PT cameos started in episode 2 of Rebels, with Bail Organa.
    Yes, they pivoted towards OT era storytelling after more than a decade of mostly PT era stories.
    That is certainly not the same thing as them being "set on eliminating PT/TCW/Legacy characters at the time in very callous and indifference to Lucas and his vision", which was the original claim that @Vorax put forth, and just isn't true.
    Todd was correct in calling that a conspiracy theory from the usual suspects.

Slater and Destiny975 like this.
  18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Usual Suspects, lol.

In the early phase they were very vocal in their disdain for the PT where it was also like a source of comic relief to them , and it was part of the reason why Lucas' ST was not made. They were eliminating characters(many of whom played a part even in Lucas' ST) one way or the other, by either killing them off or whatever manner many of whom would've played a larger role in Lucas' ST. They cancelled TCW , they cancelled Lucas' ST, they cancelled the PT AOTC and ROTS 3-D releases all not long after the buy out among other things. They also eliminated the EU too which is also a big deal . Not long after Disney bought Lucasfilm they were telling Hasbro to stop making PT related figures and focus on the OT only, but not even that lasted that long largely because TCW was very popular.

In any case, the elimination of such characters always backfired on them in the end and rightly so.

19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I've heard a lot of reasons TCW was cancelled spouted. Ratings decline. To violent and to expensive. Rebels was made to be toned down and cheaper. Disney wanted to slap its own name on its own show and not one associated with Cartoon Network. They hit the ground running steam rolling the prequels to set everything back to the OT. Because that's where all the nostalgia is right? They made the first movie of a new trilogy movie playing safely to the nostalgia. Take a look at the commendary provided in the South Park episode "Member Berries".

It doesn't really make much difference why TCW was cancelled or if Rebels was just a replacement anymore, it sucked TCW was cancelled back then. I loved TCW from when I started watching it in season 3. I don't know if the cancellation of any show ever sucked so bad. But I really think over the last few years TCW has gotten more popular than ever before. There is lots of nostalgia there now. And demand to keep exploring. So now there is season 7 of TCW with a great ending, Rebels was great in its own right. There is an endless tap of great content pumping out. The Mandalorian, The Bad Batch, and Visions.

Its been demonstrated the powers in charge will do what they want with any character if they think they can tell a better story. If they have a great idea for a character like Cad Bane, its better he's alive and they can do whatever they want. The way he was handled in The Bad Batch suggests the unfinished arc with Boba Fett is still viewed as an event that happens off screen. It may eventually see the light of day on screen. That worked out. Bane was a highlight in The Bad Batch. It'll be the same if he really pops up in The Book of Boba Fett.

Its been demonstrated time and time again even during The Lost Missions if the powers making this stuff think there is the potential to tell a great story then they may change the fate of someone that should be dead. That's why it was hard to know what the intentions were with Nikka Futterman's voice-over in "Twilight of the Apprentice" which could have been just in easter egg but probably wasn't just to mess with fans. In all honestly, that was probably just the right voice to warn Ezra. Maybe it was the voice of the fallen apprentice. Ventress's role narratively in my opinion is to give Anakin an example of an apprentice that was let down and abandoned.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Destiny975 and TetsuAero like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

21. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

clone commander bossk likes this.
  23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Just did watch of the 2 Threepio and R2 episodes from S4. I can't actually call them a rewatch as they were 2 episodes I'd never seen before. Though my initial thoughts are I'll never see them again and I know why I skipped them last time.
    To focus on the positive I think I get what the writers were trying to do. With the first episode it was probably (being really generous saying this) to try and highlight how the war is throwing things out of balance on planets but it fails miserably.
    For the 2nd part I guess they were trying to do a sort of ANH, tell the story from the Droids perspective arc but again they fail miserably and the idea the audience is supposed to laugh as R2 accidentally crushes to death a small fat French person and later in the episode some Tribes people accidentally blow themselves up while they are shooting the Droid Oppressors who'd tricked them into being there slaves is equally horrific.
    Also if those Tribes people didn't know anything about machines how come they had mechanical Laser guns anyway [face_thinking]
    Arghh forget it anyway 2 episodes that should definitely be skipped on everyone's rewatch as they add nothing

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Those episodes are just fun side-adventures for the droids. The issue in the first episode had nothing to do with the war. And the second episode is an homage to some fantasy tales, from Gulliver's Travels to The Wizard of Oz.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

This show soo good and great all see it.