main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I hope the exams went well JKF and JC!

Now there's something I don't miss, taking exams! I keep thinking about getting my Master's but I'm so afraid I'm going to spend all that money and then end up with something that I end up not liking/get bored with very easily/isn't worth the cost of the degree. I really don't want to keep doing what I'm doing and I really don't want to go back to what I was doing before. I guess even at 37 I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. :p

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Exam went well. Professor emailed me afterward with a question about a grading issue on a homework assignment (she was having trouble getting the grades to actually show up in the learning management system we use and wanted a few students to check if it was fixed for them since she can't see what the students see). She mentioned in the email that I did an excellent job on the exam. :D

In other news, sometimes I love being a night owl and sometimes I hate it. Right now is one of the latter. Last night (Wednesday night/Thursday morning) I was up until almost 3am setting up my new laptop (I got stuck in something I couldn't easily stop and had to finish it. Today (Thursday) I had an 8am class, so my alarm went off at 6am. Needless to say, I was extremely tired and I had no caffeine on hand (I need to make a trip to the grocery store, but I can't haul groceries in until the elevator is fixed), so I gave up on physically going to the classroom. Fortunately, this was our senior capstone group project, so I just needed to meet with the group, and most of them were working remotely anyway, so I slept a little later than usual, took five steps across the room, and we just met via Discord. After that meeting, I went back to bed and slept for about another hour, and then woke up with a splitting headache from lack of nutrition. I took some Tylenol and ate a sandwich, and was able to feel better by 2pm for my exam. Now since then I've been continuing to set up my computer, installing software and such, and took care of my monthly financial stuff, AND IT'S 3AM AND I'M WIDE AWAKE DESPITE HAVING 8 HOURS OF SLEEP IN THE LAST 48 HOURS SOMEBODY HELP ME I'M GOING CRAZY :p

Fortunately I have nothing at all going on tomorrow until evening, so I can sleep as late as I want. But I wish I had a normal person's sleep schedule 7 days a week. I guess it's just not meant for me. I'm among the 1 in 5 people who are night owls stuck in a world designed by and for morning people. :mad:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Happy book day to me. I’m going to my favorite French bistro and a movie after work to celebrate, but it was fun to get my first set of books yesterday, thanks to a person doing a promotion and preordering.

I’ve got 27 days until vacation and need less stress.

Chyntuck, mavjade and amidalachick like this.
  4. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I ended up falling into bed about 4:30am and sleeping until 1pm. [face_hypnotized] I need a normal sleep schedule badly.

Chyntuck, gizkaspice and amidalachick like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s spooky season

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Anyone else watch the LEGO Star Wars Terrifying Tales? I found it delightfully satirical.

Darth Tormentum likes this.
  7. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Honestly, I don't think linear "careers" exist anymore like they did before. Few people do the same thing for 20+ years and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, and I'm sure many others are as well. Unless you know exactly what you want to do a Masters in and why, I wouldn't go for it. Have you looked at jobs or job descriptions you might like and worked backwards (ie, what degree it needs, etc)? That might help you narrow things down.

Who let the morning people in charge, anyways?! I have a coworker who goes to bed at 9pm and wakes up at 5am and I just laugh at them...because 9pm is when life begins for me and 5am is sleepy time :p

Chyntuck, amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m not doing what I want to be when I grow up as a day job, but I just really love my work as an arts reviewer and being on the board of the organization and all the mentoring I get to do.

9. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I loved it! My favorite SW content yet.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Dean was adorable. And I love the nods to other horror franchises.

Chyntuck and Kato Sai like this.
  11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    He was indeed. I loved Darth Vaneer, made me want to do this whenever his name came up lol:

[​IMG]

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The subtitles said Vanee. Not sure why.

Chyntuck and Kato Sai like this.
  13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I’ve noticed crazy subtitles. When I watched Visions the subtitles were very different than the english dialogue.

Chyntuck and DarthIshtar like this.
  14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    As long as it’s not like the copy of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers that my dad got on a business trip. They kept messing up the dialogue (“put down your axe” became “you’ve changed, Princess.”) or subtitling silence (“The golden hall. This all belongs to us now.”)

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    [face_rofl]

I hope it didn’t get stuck like this:

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, I actually look at jobs all the time to see what things interest me, I think Indeed is probably really confused about me, lol. But I've done things that I thought I'd love and I did like them for a few years and then I was completely done (this happened with my original major, then what I ended up getting a degree in, and now in a different but related industry). I tend to fall into things really hard and then fall out just as hard. I finished my BS in Public Health to see if that was something I wanted to do (my profession only requires an Associates) and I really liked it, but I'm just worried the same thing is going to happen again and I'll have spent a ton of money to do it. Though there is a lot more variety of jobs in Public Health than my previous things, so there is that. Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy to have a job that pays decently, I know that's not something that everyone has. I don't need to love my job, but I'd just like to find one eventually that doesn't make me miserable.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Jumping in here because I've missed a bit! I don't regret doing my Master's at all. Even though I am not currently in that field I still use quite a lot of the information I learned (and I am currently making more than I would if I were in that field - not that that matters to me, but it helps when my boss is driving me up a wall). Plus, I know I was fortunate enough to be in a financial position to do my MA after my BA, but I really wasn't ready for the "real world" after my BA and I know it was the right decision for me at the time. THAT BEING SAID, I totally agree that doing higher education isn't for everyone.

I also agree that you don't need to "love your job". My family is in the hazardous material removal/demolition field. My mom does crime scene clean-up as part of that since biohazards fall under the company mandate (she has some pretty graphic stories). Do any of them love their job? No (however my one brother does love demolitions). But it is a job that needs to be done for public health and safety? Yes... and it also pays quite well.

I also agree that most careers aren't linear anymore. I fully anticipate eventually going back to school at some point in the future.

This likely made no sense as I returned from my hiking expedition yesterday. We decided to extend our trip by a day since the weather was so bad on Thursday (the day we were aiming for the summit - we went on a bit of a hike and ended up in the anticipated ice storm) that we were (thankfully) able to stay for all day Friday. The weather was so nice - barely any wind and clear sunny skies - that we made it to the top. I only took a few pics on my phone - most of the pics I got are on my camera and I havent had the energy to upload those yet. I managed to put away everything yesterday and got all my laundry into the dryer... and then slept for 12 hours. Today I've basically just been watching TV and napping.

I have many stories of me fearing for my life... including boot-skiing down a really tiny glacier.

Chyntuck, amidalachick and gizkaspice like this.
  18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Adventure stories are always fun to hear! Please tell some of them! :D

Chyntuck, amidalachick and gizkaspice like this.
  19. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Have you spoken with people in the field or alumni who have graduate degrees/jobs you are thinking of doing? This will give you some clarity what you're going into, i.e, not doing a degree you may end up hating or spending money for no reason.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m watching the AL East wild card game tonight. That means the Red Sox and Yankees, famous rivals, and whoever loses tonight is out for the season. It’s very nerve-wracking.

Update: The Red Sox won.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I was so exhausted I crashed into bed at 7:15pm last night and slept until 7:30am today. Usually I can't fall asleep, no matter how tired, until after midnight. Apparently I needed that badly.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I once slept 17 hours on my grandparents’ couch because they told me to sit down while they finished planning dinner. This was my first thanksgiving of college.

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and amidalachick like this.
  23. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I went to Thailand a few years ago after a hellish semester of college and spent about fifteen hours - basically, most of my first day in Bangkok - sleeping. :p

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I see the common thread here is college/university. That gives me hope that my sleeping patterns will stabilize after I graduate and enter the workforce.

Speaking of which, I have a phone interview with one company coming up next Tuesday morning, and another company that reached out to me Monday evening and I need to follow up on my reply.

25. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    HAHAHA. I wish that had been the case for me. To be fair, I had a pretty decent schedule when I worked at the museum... but being "on time" is a bit of an irrelevant concept at this current job. For example, 2 weeks ago a bunch of us agreed to meet up at the office to do some work because a couple of us had to meet and a couple had work to do work in person. First person was 45 minutes late (due to traffic); I was an hour late (I didn't really need to be there for when I wanted to be there, I slept in and showed up when I HAD to... except...); other co-worker was an hour late after when she wanted to be there; and none of it mattered because the president was (predictably) like 3 hours late. CEO didn't show up at all (we weren't expecting her) AAAAANNNND our manager mysteriously went missing for the day. I mean, in other circumstances it might have been super annoying but we knew what we were doing and were able to start without the others.

Where I work is just a joke and I'm just rolling with it. Our CEO decided to take a totally unexpected absence until January (to launch her herbal/wellness business :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) and didn't warn any of us. Soooo yeah, on one hand it's going to be nice to not have to deal with her micromanaging narcissism... but some warning might have been nice. I now have to organize our biggest fundraising event of the year. I have NO CLUE what I am doing, I have to have endless contingency plans due to COVID and since its on New Years Day, I'm not going to get much of a holiday. But I'm actually kinda fine with that. Good excuse not to have to see my family for Christmas and I'll probably take time off in January to do something nice for myself.

Anyways! Sleep! It once took me about 20 hours with delays to get home from London (not the longest I've travelled - I did 30 hours as a teenager). But after I got into my own bed, I slept for about 14 hours. I distinctly remember waking up at like 3am, realizing I was home and in my own bed and that I could roll over and go back to sleep (which I did). Pretty sure that is the happiest I have ever been!