main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Squid Game, Hunger Games, Battle Royal...Just win it or die!

Discussion in 'Community' started by AutumnLight91, Oct 2, 2021.

1. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    So the huge talk all over the place is another win or die game. This time from South Korea: Squid Game. Its become a huge thing on Netflix, and lots are talking about it online and around me where I'm at. Like right now my roommate is watching it while I'm writing this.

The other day while on a 24 hour duty, they put on the first episode of the series. I saw the Red Light, Green Light segment...

[​IMG]

uh...Yeah. I hear it gets more intense later on. I'm not sure I want to watch it, but has anyone else checked it out?

Also, conspiracy time: Is this thing actually happening? I don't mean Squid Game, but secret games of people being kidnapped and forced to play and etc.

darthbernael likes this.
  2. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I seen an episode last week. There were no English subtitles, but it was easy to follow and to understand what was going on (I don’t speak Korean). The episode that I saw was one of the later ones and it was pretty intense. It’s a pretty violent show. I’ll definitely watch the series with subtitles at some point.

darthbernael likes this.
  3. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    I have watch all 9 episodes and it is brilliant. It is best thing I have watch for a while.

@Dannik Jerriko - there is English language dubbing on the Netflix

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  4. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    What I saw was the English dubbing. Which is pretty fair...at times.

darthbernael likes this.
  5. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Just watched the first episode. It’s a good show and I’m definitely going to finish it, but I would have preferred English subs to dubbing. The main character’s voice just sounds off. He sounds more like a chilled out California surfer than a gambling addict in his late 40s. Also, why does everyone seem to speak with an American accent except for the old man who seems to retain (what I assume is) a Korean accent?

darthbernael likes this.
  6. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    I've seen the whole thing, subbed. It was intense but a great show. I can see how it's like some Korean or Japanese game shows but taken to the extreme.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    subtitles is the way to go I think. I enjoyed the series. SG seems a lot more poignant and satirical than something like Hunger Games, which was mostly just stupid.

Bor Mullet and darthbernael like this.
  8. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I just finished the series and it’s great TV. Quite difficult viewing at times, but it gets it's point across. Not many shows provide so much food for thought. I think there’s some valid points made about capitalism, society and human nature.

I guessed pretty early on that Front Man was the cop’s missing brother. Looking back, there were some pretty heavy hints that 001 wasn’t a normal contestant.

darthbernael likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The only thing that I had a question about, plot-wise, was after Tug of War...
    There are exactly 4 teams left aka 40 people. The doctor is killed leaving 39. The 39 pair up for Marbles -- 38 people make 19 teams and the one girl didn't have a partner so she didn't have to play.

So at the end of Marbles, since there are 19 teams of 38 people, and one has to die, that means there should be 19 left at the end of the game + the girl that didn't play for a total of 20 people. But when they get back to the common area, the board says 17 so only 16 people survived Marbles. What happened to the other 3 that should have survived? Did maybe some teams end in a tie when time expired so they both were shot?

darthbernael likes this.
  10. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Regarding marbles,

I just assumed that some teams didn’t finish in time and were both executed. It would make sense in the circumstances. I did read an interesting theory about this particular game online. As the objective was simply to obtain all 10 of the opponent’s marbles (it didn’t say the winner had to possess all 20 marbles), all players could have survived the game by playing until they had effectively swapped the marbles that they started with. As it stands, everyone was so focused on self-preservation and winning that it didn’t occur to any of them.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Watching the first game "Red Light, Green Light" with English dubbing verses the original Korean is two totally different experiences and I definitely recommend the Korean.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Bor Mullet and darthbernael like this.
  12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The show has the subtlety of a gunshot to the face and this is your takeaway?

3sm1r, Bor Mullet, Bacon164 and 3 others like this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Midnight Mass is the best genre limited series ever released on Netflix, and Squid Game gets all the attention. It makes me sad. I'm sad.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hey, you can either have an indictment of organized religion and blind faith or you can have an indictment of capitalism.

Rylo Ken and darthbernael like this.
  15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I finished Alice in Borderland this morning. That was pretty disturbing.

darthbernael likes this.
  16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    no but there is a secret cabal of elite Hollywood actors and politicians who kidnap children to drink their blood to stay young

17. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I hear Hillary Clinton runs a Squid game in the basement of a Pizza place.

The restaurant in question has no basement which is what makes it so nefarious.

18. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    No basement is nefarious? That's new

darthbernael likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Squid Game: Police reassure motorists over M4 road sign

[​IMG]
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Evening all, <br><br>So, We can confirm that by following this signage from the M4 Junction 5 in <a href="https://twitter.com/TVP_Slough?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@TVP_Slough</a> will not lead you to the popular <a href="https://twitter.com/netflix?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@netflix</a> series <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SquidGame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#SquidGame</a><br><br>It’s just directions for diversion routes during the roadworks…phew! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/P6110?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#P6110</a> <a href="https://t.co/eIGcMJPuzf">pic.twitter.com/eIGcMJPuzf</a></p>&mdash; TVP Roads Policing (@tvprp) <a href="">October 11, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    SOURCE: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-58896921.amp

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  20. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

It's been done.

darthbernael and Luke02 like this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    the SNL squid game bit wasn't bad.

darthbernael likes this.
  22. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018

Kind of a click bait title but interesting none the less

darthbernael likes this.
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Squid Game season two announced

darthbernael likes this.
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    2 Squid 2 Game

25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What do you think about making another season ?

darthbernael likes this.