main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I’m not sure about that but I think the difference is that Indy is built around one character who has always been played by Harrison Ford (not counting the tv show). You take Indy out and you have no franchise. Whereas Star Wars is an ensemble led franchise where Han is just one main character among many.

2. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I think they could maybe get away with some sort of animated project, or a prequel set in the 1920s a la Young Indy, but yeah, I'm skeptical they'll try to replace Ford unless we're talking like decades from now. Indy's only had five films in 40 years and Ford for many is probably part of the draw.

3. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    Allow me to go even further. Replacing Sean Connery as James Bond was possible because VHS didn’t exist back then. By the time everybody had a VCR, people had already accepted that Bond would be regularly recast.

Compare that to other franchises. People who watched the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS a million times as kids hated the prequels. People who watched the Indiana Jones movies on VHS a million times as a kid hated Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. People who watched Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King a million times on VHS as a kid hated the live action remakes of those films. People who watched The Lord of the Rings a million times on DVD when they were young, and pored over the dozens of hours of bonus features that went into painstaking detail demonstrating how those movies were made hated The Hobbit movies. People who watched the Christopher Reeve Superman movies a million times on VHS as a kid hated Man of Steel.

Any non-Ford Indy is going to have to deal with a few generations who are at her only Ford as Indiana Jones a million times on VHS, DVD and streaming when they were kids.

Mad Max: Fury Road worked because, while people certainly liked The Road Warrior, people didn’t really watch that a million times on VHS when they were young. And frankly, most people weren’t upset to see someone other than Mel Gibson as Mad Max because Gibson had thoroughly disgraced himself in the public eye by that point. If anything, Gibson might have been a liability.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Ackbar's Fishsticks and Sarge like this.
  4. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Those are some pretty big assumptions to make. Yes, some people who grew up watching a certain movie or movies over and over again might not be happy with anything that followed later on, but you will also find plenty of people for whom that isn't the case at all. So no, that most definately isn't enough to make such a definitive statement about how people who watched earlier movies on VHS hate newer stuff.

One reason why changing a James Bond actor isn't nearly as much of an issue is that the character already existed prior to the movies. He mostly came from those books, and not only was Connery's Bond not exactly the most faithful to the books (at least the early ones, the later ones seem to pick up a bit from the movie-Bond character), but he also wasn't the first actor to play Bond either.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  5. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Technically not, but in the public eye he may as well be (very few besides hardcore enthusiasts are even aware of the fifties TV 'Jimmy Bond'!)

But I think the general point that Indy is a character much more tied to one actor than say Bond or whoever isn't an invalid one. Even when they tried to have an in and out of universe successor like Mutt, that was received tepidly.

Scoffed-Gherkin likes this.
  6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Actors who have played Indiana Jones:

Harrison Ford
    River Phoenix
    Corey Carrier
    Sean Patrick Flanery
    George Hall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    But as far as the general audience is concerned, Ford is Indy and Indy is Ford.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    This Is a Fort In Sicily where there Filming Indy 5,

This Is a Boat in Indy 5 In Sicily,

This Is an Indy 5 set in Sicily, Looks to me like an Archeological dig site?

First photo of Harrison Ford in Sicily!

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That boat is a Viking longship. Have there been any rumors about Vikings in the story? Or maybe that's just a random artifact in a museum that Indy visits.

10. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    If anybody ever come to Europe and Scandinavia, visit the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo where they have very good remains of real longboats on display, plus other Viking artifacts. :cool:

[​IMG]

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Time travel. I called it.

paradigmes and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  12. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  13. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I recall there was a pic of a vaguely Nordic-looking artifact earlier, so it seems not improbable we're looking at a Norse theme....

paradigmes and Sarge like this.
  14. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I tell you this will be about Indiana Jones being worthy to lift Mjolnir at the end … has the Chris Hemsworth cameo already been confirmed?

Sarge, PCCViking and KyleKartan like this.
  15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    christophero30 and GunganSlayer like this.
  16. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    Harrison look good. He does not seem to be that much older than his appearance in the Crystal Skull which would have film 14 years ago in 2007. Harrison is one of those actor who can carry off 'older' well and still be believe to have some action left in them. He looks rugged and grizzled and careworn which is great for this character. The distress jacket looks fabulous.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I can't believe Harrison Ford still looks that cool in the Indy costume at 78 years old.

18. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    This is interesting tweet. Somebody asking Mangold the important question!

Bag strap - over jacket, or under jacket...

KyleKartan and Sarge like this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Harrison does look similar to KOTCS. Maybe a little skinnier.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    either time travel or flash back scene to the McGuffin's origin like in Tintin,

christophero30 likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Nazi train could tie in as a flashback as well..maybe the McGuffin is a Viking (or older) relic of some kind. (Atlantis, maybe?)

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Atlantis is his fate.

Jar-Jar Binks and paradigmes like this.
  23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    There's definitely connectivity between Nazi ideology and Norse mythology. Maybe a theme is reclaiming myth for the good from the bad. It could be Atlantis, space or none of it. It would be great to get some whiff of a Macguffin.

24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
  25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Panama Hat guy survived! :p

Just kidding. ;)