main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Star Trek: Never Lost In Translation OTP Challenge One Shot

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Oct 10, 2021.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: Never Lost In Translation"
    Notes: For this latest OTP challenge, it was a blend of Our Song with situational prompts.

My song, "In Her Eyes" by Josh Groban.

#12 for the situational context: technical difficulties.

~

When Nyota was tasked with with creating semantic and contextual algorithms for the universal translator, she was absolutely torn between feeling honored and daunted.

There were bound to be technical difficulties ironing things out across a myriad of cultures, especially during first contact, particularly when nuances of pronunciation and/or cultural context could change the meaning of a phrase from something like, "Those are nice flowers" to "Your daughter looks like a platypus."

To her surprise, Spock did not downplay the necessity for such things, claiming that hard and fast grammatical rules were all that was necessary to follow.

However, she did have trouble with languages that relied somewhat on telepathy for rounding out the communication.

He was more than happy to oblige her in this aspect, and she commented upon a successful outcome: "Some might be surprised that our relationship was never 'lost in translation.'"

"On the contrary," He replied, "We've had a deep and intricate affinity since the start."

"Yes, we have." She agreed happily.

She was presented with an honorary medal for her contribution, which she proudly accepted at a banquet.

Thankfully, the food was delectable and the after-dinner hot beverage had a nice chocolate flavor, as opposed to the potential for sludge.

"Can we perhaps interest you in accepting a position on the translator work-team?" Nyota was asked at one point.

"I would be happy to contribute remotely, via subspace and other communiques. I'm not ready to go groundside just yet." She grinned.

She would be ready when he was.

fini

Tarsier, Anedon, Kahara and 5 others like this.
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Aw! I loved how you were able to meld (heh :p) together your song and your prompt for this piece! [face_love]

Fair! Because that is such an honor, an amazing honor, but at the same time -

- worries like this are completely understandable! What a technical difficulty that would be! :eek: :oops:

Spock, you always know just what to say. [face_mischief] [face_love] (And, as always, I'm just a sucker for psychic bonds. So beautiful!)

Really, though, I love how he didn't downplay her worries and instead listened to her and then helped her with what practical aspects as he could. They really do have such a beautiful partnership. [face_love]

Plus, it's just fascinating to consider languages that aren't wholly spoken on a world-building level, especially for how you would work inaudible cues of that sort into a universal translator. [face_thinking]

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Thanks for sharing this wonderful response to the challenge with us! I enjoyed every word. =D= [:D]

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Sweet and great use of the song. It sure is difficult to translate spoken languages and telepatic even more. But she has help from her partner

4. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh, this was beautiful and such a creative and lovely way to use your prompts! That would be a difficult job, for sure. But she's got it, and she's got a wonderful partner to help and support her. [face_love]

Loved this line!

Beautiful work, again. =D=[face_love]

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Sweet vignette! I love the way you relate the rewards and challenges of Nyota’s job as a translator to those of her relationship with Spock—a kind of relationship that easily could have gotten “lost in translation” under other circumstances, but they both worked to keep that from happening. And I love the idea of Spock helping Nyota out when telepathy is involved in her translating work—that’s the ultimate way for them both to put their complementary strengths to work, and I love relationships like that. Thanks so much for sharing this with the challenge! =D=

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Nice job - the telepathic input problem you relayed well and wow, wouldn't that both add to and detract from a "conversation" because it seems to me that such intimacy would bombard the other one's thoughts --- guess that's why they emphasize shielding so much, though ... [face_hypnotized]

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the great reviews. I love the balance and complementing of their working and love relationship, how his and her skills sync to make for success.

8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Nice little story. :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.