main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    At least for me, I'm going into an industry where the typical job is an 8-5 office job. So unlike your crazy work schedule, mine ought to be predictable and regular.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So speaking of crazy work stuff. I got an email from a co-worker this morning. LONG story short, we got an incredible donation from a foundation to do a kinda-last minute 2 day trip to basically show this foundation what we can do and to shoot a (desperately needed) updated promotional video. I don't know many details other than it's white water(?) rafting, a night in a cabin, 2 of my co-workers are going and my co-worker got to pick the clients best suited to receive this all-expense paid for trip. Anyways. Email this morning, one of the clients had to cancel so she was like "wanna come?".

Of course I said yes!

The trip is Monday/Tuesday so I'm assuming she knew it wasn't worth trying to get another client out.

She hasn't emailed me back with any of the paperwork so I hope everything is a go and she's just going to re-use my paperwork from last week.

I realize I didn't share many crazy stories from my last trip. Honestly, there's not much to tell. Riding up to base camp on a road barely wide enough for the converted police SUV we were in was interesting. The guide even pointed out huge 10 metre boulders that had come flying down the mountain. First night not much happened as we ended up getting there late. Went for a quick paddleboard in the rain. Second day the weather was sooooo bad. Like ice-rain. We still went for a hike to a plateau and got soaked. Got a flat tire - the president of the company said it was the second flat tire he had on this adaptive hiking chair he has ever had. Third day - we managed to stay an extra full day - was beautiful and we made it to the summit. The views were stunning. I can spam with so many pics, but here are 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Nice! And more adventures, and rafting! I am sooooooo jealous. :D

In other news, I went from 4 hours of sleep Monday night to 12+ hours of sleep Tuesday might to 2 hours of sleep last night to now being 8:30 PM and I just dozed off for an hour with my clothes on and without properly preparing for bed and I have a job interview tomorrow afternoon scheduled on less than 24 hours of notice that I need to be well rested for and I'm afraid I'll sleep through the interview if I don't go to bed now, so **** any sense of trying to create a normal sleep schedule. I'll sleep when I graduate, I guess.

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ve been lying down on my lunch breaks this week and it’s helped me cope with the day.

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I dont normally nap during my lunch break when I'm working from home... but occasionally I'll do it. Wednesday was one of those days (and it was glorious).

I feel like I shouldn't complain about my work since I am going rafting on Monday... but I'm really annoyed right now... mostly with the CEO and former employees. It's like the 9th year this fundraising event has gone on and the first (and probably most important step) is getting corporate sponsors. Emailing people out of the blue and asking for money is horrifying enough for me (at least it's email), but this damn place has made it even worse. You would think, after this many years, there would be some sort of "reoccurring sponsor contact spreadsheet". Nope. There MIGHT be a list from the 2019 event (so not that badly outdated) but I don't have access to it on the google drive and I cant access it though the admin account either. It's super annoying. I sent an email to the former CEO since she apparently is super nice about giving access but she has yet to reply.

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That is very annoying. I’ve had to do similar things a couple of times.

Have to brag. There are the World Senior Games currently going on and my 70-year-old mother decided to enter two swimming races. She took bronze in one yesterday.

7. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @jcgoble3 Hope the interview went well! [face_good_luck]

That's so cool, Ish! Congrats to your mom! :)

Ugh, yeah, so annoying!

Those pictures are gorgeous, though. The views and the landscape look so beautiful. [face_love] And I hope you have lots of fun with the rafting trip, that sounds awesome too!

8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yesterday's interview went great. The recruiter sent me a more detailed information form to complete after the interview and said that they will look into a second-round interview with the team I would be directly working with. Pay was briefly discussed and they are on the lower end of the range for fresh graduates in the field, but not unreasonably low, so I'd consider it but would definitely try to negotiate it up a bit.

I obviously didn't tell them this, but I plan to take the first decent offer I get to end the job hunt as fast as possible, put in a couple of years for the experience on the resume, and if I'm not satisfied, I can then look into searching for something better on my own schedule and on my own terms (rather than being pressured to find a job on a deadline while juggling school alongside the job hunt). I'm not going to take a clear lowball offer, and I won't instantly accept an offer that's just okay if I think a better offer might be coming within a few days, but I'm not going to drag out the process trying to find the perfect job. I just want to be done with it so I can focus on school and finding an apartment (which is dependent on where I end up getting hired at).

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Didn't even know the World Senior games was a thing. Thats awesome.

Glad to hear the interview went well. Job hunting sucks and getting experience can be difficult. Good luck!

I figured I really needed to be an adult today and clean - didn't really get much done last weekend after getting home and next week is probably going to be crazy with being gone Monday and Tuesday then working the rest of the week. But my brain was like, I wanna bake! I want a really fancy breakfast! So I did that and then got my kitchen and floors relatively clean. I still have a mountain of clean laundry on my bed. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to pack. It's only 1 night so I don't need that much stuff but its going to be camping in the cold and wet, which means layers. I have a really huge hiking back pack (overkill) but I don't think my work back-pack is going to be big enough. Looks like I'm probably going to have to dig out my duffle bag, which still feels overkill for 36 hours away.

I am insanely jealous of people who can just throw a pair of underwear and some deodorant in a shopping bag and be fine for a week.

10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm jealous of those that can tolerate layers. I can't. The most layers I can tolerate normally (beyond normal underwear) are a single shirt, a single pair of pants, and a jacket or coat that usually comes off as soon as I'm inside. For extended times outside in cold weather, I can add thermal underwear top and bottom to stay warm, but it's annoying (only trades one discomfort (cold) for another (layers)). But there's no way I can do a base layer plus a shirt plus an outer layer plus a jacket... nope, not happening.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    @Briannakin it seems to be a recentish thing that is like the World Series where there aren’t teams from Madagascar or Azerbaijan, but US and Canada are the world, right? :). Anyway, they were in southern Utah this year. Her age group was 70-87 and I’m curious how many more people older than that were competing.

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    So I was told that the elevator in my building is going to be down for at least another three weeks because that's how long it takes to custom-make the replacement part. I complained and pointed out that I physically cannot carry my laundry up the stairs and therefore cannot do laundry, plus I'm huffing and puffing when I reach the top anyway without a load, and that I never would have agreed to live in a fourth-floor apartment without an elevator. So they offered me a temporary reassignment in a vacant first-floor apartment in another community on campus where there is a washer and dryer in the unit. So I picked up the keys, hauled my laundry over, started the first washer load, and headed to class. After class I went back to my regular apartment, loaded all of the essentials for a couple of weeks into the now-empty laundry basket, including basic groceries, and brought it all over to the temporary apartment, transferred my clothes from the washer to the dryer, started the second of two loads in the washer, but left the dryer waiting while I ran to the grocery store for a few things.

When I got back, I started the dryer. After about 10 minutes, the smoke detector closest to the dryer begins chirping about once a minute. At first I thought it had a low battery. But then it started to speed up, down to about once every 30 seconds. I tried stopping the dryer, and it then slowed back down and eventually stopped. So then I called the emergency maintenance number, because every single piece of clothing I have with me other than the clothes on my back is soaking wet and I can't dry my clothes for tomorrow until I can get the dryer to work right. Emergency maintenance told me on the phone that they would not do anything about it tonight but would be out in the morning... after I have to leave for class. So now I have one outfit hanging in the bathroom, praying it will air dry by the time I get up tomorrow, while everything else is in two wet piles that will have to be rewashed to remove any mildew that forms overnight.

In the end, I ate Hamburger Helper straight out of the pan because I had lost my ability to give a **** and couldn't be bothered to put it on a plate like a civilized person.

Chyntuck and DarthIshtar like this.
  13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, that’s maddening. I remember having no washer and dryer and a laundromat half a mile away. My friends let me do a week of laundry on Sundays. When we got the washer and dryer delivered, I hugged a lot of people out of joy.

14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Left for class at 7:15am and came home at 6pm to a note from maintenance saying that they reconnected the dryer hose. I had noticed that it was not connected properly, so great, apparently that was the main problem, right? Wrong. It was a problem, but not the problem. Six minutes after I started the dryer, smoke detector starts chirping again, so I quickly shut off the dryer and call the emergency maintenance number. Well, in reality, like last night, I actually called the resident assistant on duty, because they don't give the emergency maintenance number out publicly because otherwise 18-year-olds who've never lived away from mom and dad don't understand what is and isn't an emergency issue, so all after-hours maintenance requests have to funnel through the RA on duty who actually does have the emergency maintenance number and can call it if it really is an emergency.

Anyway, the young lady who picked up the phone listened to the issue and tried to contact maintenance, but couldn't reach them, so she advised me to haul my laundry back over to my normal building and use the public-access laundry room there. Well, that means two hours of sitting there doing nothing (because there's nowhere to set up my laptop in the laundry room and I can't hang out in my regular apartment because the entire point of this is that I physically can't climb the stairs that frequently) when I need to be doing assignments that I'm severely behind on and are due this week, so I tossed that idea in the trash and called Mom. Since all of my clothes have been sitting in wet piles for over 24 hours now, they all stink of mildew, so simply air drying another outfit was out of the question. I ended up taking a single outfit, filling the kitchen sink, adding a bit of hand soap (I didn't have laundry detergent to use because I use those laundry pods), and quickly hand-washing an outfit before wringing out the water and hanging them up to hopefully dry by morning. I then wrote an angry complaint letter to the online maintenance request form and now I'm going to work on my assignments and hope I can wash all my clothes again tomorrow.

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Do you happen to have an electric fan? When I was on vacation, I once dried my clothes by hanging them over the fan. It took care of them overnight.

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I do not have a fan. Nothing I can do at this point except wait.

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m sorry. I hope things get worked out.

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've definitely been in that mood before (the other day I was eating Kraft Dinner right out of the pot). That's super annoying about the dryer. I've had the hose disconnect on me before, which is an easy fix and would explain the clothes not drying but not the smoke alarm going off.

I'm back home from my rafting adventure. It was super fun but a lot of social interaction. My introverted self just wants to curl up and watch movies for a week. My "batteries" were already running low; now I just feel dead. It was a total of 36 hours away - about 9 hours of that was travel time and I got like 5 hours of sleep. I was supposed to be in a van with just my co-worker and a volunteer (her fiancee actually) BUT OF COURSE, that vehicle died the night before so the 3 of us had to crawl into the very back of the van with the clients and the president of the charity and the donor we were schmoozing. Which itself I didn't mind - all great people, and I am used to 10 hour road trips, but being in the back of a dark work van, being jostled around with a bunch of equipment, while wearing a mask for 4 hours, while remaining professional, for 2 days back to back was not easy. Yeah, it was only for 36 hours but I'm somehow more drained from it than my 4-day trip.

Rafting was so much fun though. For some reason, they had our boats super uneven - 10 of us were in one boat while 5 of us were in the other. I was in the boat with 5 and it was wild. I opted not for the adaptive seating and just had one of the volunteers (a firefighter) make sure I stayed in the boat. The donor was in our boat so we made sure he was at the front getting soaked.

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    If it's not one thing, it's another. The dryer was properly fixed while I was in class and I'm currently drying all my clothes to stop the mildew, but I still need to re-wash everything tomorrow to get rid of the mildew odor. But now today I've come down with a cold. :rolleyes: It's obvious from the symptoms that it's not COVID (symptoms signature to COVID are missing and a few symptoms unique to the common cold, like sneezing and a cough with mucus, are present), so at least it could be worse.

I sat in the back of the room (instead of my usual front-row seat) for my in-person class this afternoon to have access to the paper towel roll and trash can to blow my nose repeatedly, then after class headed to the grocery store to pick up some medicine and snacks to get me through a few days and hit the Taco Bell drive-through for something spicy. I don't actually need to go to an in-person class again until Monday, so I'm probably going to stay home as much as possible until then, but this kills my weekend plans. Depending on how long this lasts, I may have to push back my COVID booster shot, which I currently have scheduled for Friday of next week.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Chyntuck and Mistress_Renata like this.
  20. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Ugh, sounds like you're having an all-around rotten week @jcgoble3! My sympathies.

I wanted to finally do some writing today but I chickened out once I actually sat down at the computer. I managed to do dishes and go for a bike ride, though, so it wasn't a total waste of a day. :p

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugh. JC. Sounds like you've inherited my string of bad luck. Hope you feel better soon.

As predicted, I've pretty much fallen into an introverted coma. I had to work today - thankfully from home. I started late (I really didn't want to get out of bed but my co-worker texted me) and managed to work most of my regular hours, but I gave up a half-hour early and crawled into bed. I just could not stay awake. I'm planning on going into the office tomorrow - hopefully a bit early but I know that's being WEEEEEEEEEYYYYY too optimistic - to get a lot done so I can maybe call it quits early on Friday. All I want to do is cuddle up, watch movies, write fanfic and not have to talk to any of my co-workers. I should probably do laundry too but that's unlikely.

Is it the weekend yet?

22. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    @jcgoble3, when you go to rewash the clothes, try soaking them in vinegar before you rewash on the hottest setting they will take (yes, some clothes need to be rewashed in cold). Or, instead, put in a cup of baking soda. These are both said to help remove the mildew stink.

23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't have any vinegar or baking soda, and don't want to make a run to the store for them when I'm sick. So I'm just going to have to throw them in with my regular detergent and hope for the best.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    If it was only a day or so, I doubt the mildew stank will be too stubborn.

My brain is currently screaming WHY OH GOD IS IT ONLY 2PM ON THURSDAY. It needs to be Friday. I am physically, mentally, socially just done. I'm also starting this new project at work (event planning for our biggest fundraiser) and I just am so overwhelmed my, brain cant get into it. Part of me is seriously debating taking tomorrow off but I have so much to do.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    There was enough laundry for two loads. The first load was washed earlier today and is currently in the dryer. The second load is currently in the washer. When the current dryer load finishes I'm going out to get some takeout for dinner.

I have been taking over-the-counter cold medicine (store-brand DayQuil) all day, so I would expect that my symptoms would be reduced, but they're almost gone completely. For the past couple of hours I've noticed that I'm rarely coughing, and I haven't had to blow my nose since lunchtime. It's reduced even more than I would expect from the cold medicine alone, which makes me wonder if I just picked up a 24-hour bug of some kind. I'm hoping that's the case because there's a campus recreation event tomorrow evening that I wanted to go to, and if I'm truly feeling over this I might do so. I'll start by not taking my next scheduled dose of cold medicine and see how I react to that.

Same :p