main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Dude, love these photos of Mads Mikkelsen and Ford in costume and on location. So cool!

christophero30 likes this.
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Could Mads be Belloq jr?

Sarge, PCCViking and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  3. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    This is possible but I am personally hope not. The reason I would say this is because whilst this would be a nice callback, having new character expand the fictional universe. I think that when everybody is related it make the universe feel smaller for some reason.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree he does give off very Belloq vibes. But I also agree I'd prefer a new character-not every character needs to be related to someone.

5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Amazing how many pics are being leaked because of the openness of the sets.

6. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    People DID watch the Road Warrior a million times on VHS when they were young. In fact, in the USA, the reason Mad Max got so big is primarily because people discovered it on VHS rather than in the theater.

As was said, a lot of assumptions on your part.

7. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    Most people knew of it, but I always got the impression it was more of a cult film than a mainstream blockbuster like Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

8. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    While this is mostly true, by the time Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome was released, the franchise was firmly embedded in popular/mainstream culture and it was one of those franchises that people watched repeatedly on VHS. Furthermore, when people thought of Mad Max, his face was always that of superstar Mel Gibson.

I think part of the reason people so readily accepted Tom Hardy as Mad Max is because A. It had been so very long since a Mad Max movie was made. B. Fury Road was so damn good that it almost didn't matter who played Max as long as it was a competent actor. Luckily, Tom Hardy was/is kind of an heir apparent to Mel Gibson's persona, etc.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  9. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    Just looking at the box office for Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome shows that it grossed $36 million in North America. Not bad, but the previous year’s Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom grossed $180 million.

That’s what I mean when I say it wasn’t as much of a mainstream blockbuster.
    It probably also helped that Mel Gibson had become something of a pariah in the intervening years. (I remember the trailers for Hacksaw Ridge refused to mention him by name, instead saying, “From the Director of Braveheart”.)

Sarge likes this.
  10. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Correct me if I am mistaken: You weren't initially, talking about box office gross. You were talking about people growing up repeatedly watching movies at home on VHS.

While not as popular of a franchise as Indiana Jones or Star Wars, Mad Max was iconic and very well established/influential in pop culture. In the USA, most of this success was because of the booming home video market of the 80's and Mad Max's repeated success in that regard.

Agreed.

11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't really get any Belloq vibes. Yes, he is wearing a light suit and hat, but quite a few characters have done that in the Indy movies. The look feels more "former Nazi who lives under a fake identity and has become quite an influential figure in his hiding place" to me. There were quite a few of those living in Mediterranean countries post WW2.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In this day and age its easy to forget the impact of VHS in the 80's and just focus on what films did at the cinema box office, but the VHS rental market and the word of mouth generated from that turned films like Mad Max, The Thing & Blade Runner (to name just 3) in to must watch classics of the era.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  13. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    Some new picture have surface online showing Harrison and Phoebe Waller-Bridge on set and in costume. Most interestingly, they appear to be in a scene with character wearing ancient Roman centurion type costumes.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    ViewerAnon, who I've personally found to be very reliable when it comes to stuff like this, mentioned what he's heard about the plot. It aligns with what a lot of us have assumed.

Krueger and paradigmes like this.
  15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Hmmm......interesting. People had a big problem with aliens (not me, mind you). Wonder how they'll take to this. It does intrigue me, that's for sure.

16. GunganSlayer

Jan 24, 2013
    Well, time travel has been a very consistent rumor with this project for a very long time. Personally, I'm not a fan of the concept. I feel time travel has been done to death, and apart from the gags of "oh look, modern man in the past" or "oh look, someone from the past interacting with future technology," I'm not really sure what more this would bring to the table. Of course, I'm still very much looking forward to this project--time travel or not. I'm just glad to see Ford back, and the talent behind this movie really excites me.

On the topic of time travel, we all know one of its tropes is alternate timelines, multiverses, etc. I know Marvel is diving into its whole multiverse, and DC looks to be doing the same with its semi-adaptation of Flashpoint, so multiple timelines are 'bout to be front and center in the public's mind. Could this movie open the possibility of recasting Indy for future movies? Who knows...

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  17. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    I honest do not think that this is such outlandish idea. Indiana interact with figure from the ancient past is not without the precedent (Grail Knight?) It all feels very "Pirate of the Caribbean" and even "Jungle Cruise" though, and maybe not too unexpected for Disney. The line in Pirate of the Caribbean when a character say "You like the ghost stories? Good, because you're in one!"

I can hear that deep voiceover man who do the trailers saying "The man who spent his whole life studying history, is now.....IN IT"
    <cut to Indy surrounded by Roman soldiers>

My only thought is, if this is the plot, then I wonder if the "device" that allow for this time travel is man-made, or is a natural occurring place that they have to find maybe?

18. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm thinking it may not be exactly time travel but a Bermuda Triangle type situation where there is a mystical island where time stands still and many cultures have stumbled upon it over thousands of year.

Jar-Jar Binks, Sarge and paradigmes like this.
  19. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    I change my mind about voiceover man saying that line, the trailer should have Belloq voice say his line from Raiders of the Lost Ark

"Indiana, we are merely passing through history. But this....this is history"
    <cut to Indy being chase by ancient Romans> [face_laugh]

I think that time is a fitting theme and motif for the old Indy to deal with. Life is all about the time, and maybe some of the things explored will be having more time or having time over again to do things differently. I am actually excited for this, I think it could being very good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I like the Romans stuff and especially this one. I am pretty sure next scene will be
    [​IMG]

21. GunganSlayer

Jan 24, 2013
    Wonder if there is potential--or if ideas were thrown around during ideation and earlier drafts--for Indy to cross his own past? We know they'll be a younger version of Indy in this, but the Nazi set pieces I feel are probably more flashbacks than time travel (perhaps kicking the film off). I could be wrong, of course. Anyways, like, could there be a remote possibility of Sean Connery popping up? Marcus? Young Indy (either from Last Crusade or the show)?

KyleKartan and christophero30 like this.
  22. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I like the time travel idea. If done well it could work. It's certainly different than the other 4.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  23. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Indy and Time travel? I love it!!!

I was wondering what artifact/macguffin could possibly be as intriguing as what's come before. Something that hurls Indiana Jones through history is perfectly pulpy and ripe with opportunities, adventures, and exciting cliff hanger scenarios.

Jar-Jar Binks and christophero30 like this.
  24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Will he bump into Jesus as opposed to Hitler this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Maybe Waller-Bridges is Indy’s Mother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk