main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: The Hidden Empire (WofBH / Crimson Reign sequel)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediFett10, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's one of those point of view things.

If you're only reading the SW books, then events are rare - this has been the first big one for them. Therefore, if you enjoyed it, why not have another next year?

If you read Marvel more widely, it's event overkill. With a great many creative runs ending with a big, flashy expensive to buy event, as is the case with Zdarsky's Daredevil run. Previous recent cases are Aaron's Thor and Cates' Venom.

From a wider Marvel reading perspective a title that tells its story on its own has become rare. With the frequency of events giving rise to a sense of fatigue, as people know the dance steps very, very well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    iPodwithnomusic and SyndicThrass like this.
  2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Gotcha. Yeah, I don't follow the rest of Marvel's comics output so I can see where it might become an issue with multiple of these things going on at the same time. If not for Star Wars, the likelihood of me ever seeing the inside of my FLCS would honestly be pretty slim.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm in the same boat since I don't care about Marvel comics, if I want Marvel characters I'll watch the MCU.

Vialco and MercenaryAce like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And your bank balance loves you for it.

One of the new tricks is this: Put series out in OHCs, RRP $35-40, containing 10-15 issues. They do a few of these then it all concludes in a big event. Instead of an event OHC for say $25-30, they do a monster Omnibus that is RRP $100-125! And you've got the rest of the run so you have to conclude it, don't you?

I am slowly kicking the habit due to this sheer chicanery.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’ll also add that, personally, I think War of the Bounty Hunters did have a detrimental effect on some of the titles that got caught up in it. I love Greg Pak. Planet Hulk, Magneto Testament, the Incredible Hercules are all time greats.

But man, his Vader run really lost momentum when he had to shift focus and play to Soule’s tune.

Vialco, theorenwulf and Ventrix like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Pak is pretty used to the Marvel event swirl.

7. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Hell, he’s written a few himself, so there’s probably no hard feelings.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    I actually agree with this. I liked the event mini and I loved the associated one-shots, but I think apart from Bounty Hunters all the ongoings lost steam due to the event. Though I did like the focus on side characters for the Vader arc and Aphra was also decent, but I feel that if the authors of the ongoings had been allowed to write an arc on their own terms, the resulsts would have been better than what we got for the event.

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I like the crossover in that when I'm reading the comics monthly it's a lot easier to follow the story if they're all the same story, as opposed to three to five little slivers of three to five separate stories. Generally, I can never remember what is going on in Bounty Hunters month to month, for example. However, I hope they don't do this too often as it contributes to "small galaxy syndrome."

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So uh...Not to brag...But totally brag....I used my Podcast Twitter to talk to Charles Soule and I got this

I mean it would make sense Palpatine has his hidden Empire with the Sith Eternal, Qi'ra Hidden Empire is Crimson Dawn...Maybe Sith Eternal vs Crimson Dawn action?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2022
    Vialco, QuinlanSolo and Ventrix like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Would also set running an evil vs evil conflict, with neither winner being good for anyone.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The more Exegol and Sith Eternal I get, the better.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Those are always the most fun conflicts

I know and I can't i didn't put together the idea of a HIDDEN EMPIRE, like if Palpatine is gonna be in this one then yeah he does have a HIDDEN EMPIRE too.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Have to say I really enjoyed issue 3 of Crimson Reign. He isn't too far off from this anyways but I wouldn't mind if Charles Soulle became the official planner for Star Wars books and comics.

Sinrebirth and JediFett10 like this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Woot, woot, woot!

Vialco and clone commander bossk like this.
  17. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I really, really need to catch up [face_laugh]

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yes. :p

clone commander bossk likes this.
  19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-hidden-empire
    The return of Qi’ra has been one of the biggest — and most impactful — surprises in Marvel’s Star Wars line. As leader of the Crimson Dawn crime syndicate, not to mention one of Han Solo’s first true loves, her presence and actions have forever changed the post-Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back landscape.

The Solo: A Star Wars Story fan favorite first reemerged in the War of the Bounty Hunters crossover, orchestrating the theft of a still frozen-in-carbonite Han from Boba Fett. This led to the follow-up event Crimson Reign, in which Qi’ra makes a move against the Empire, gaining the ire of Palpatine himself. But this being Star Wars, Qi’ra’s saga is no two-parter.

Star Wars: Hidden Empire, a five-issue miniseries starting in November, will be the third and final installment in writer Charles Soule’s unofficial Qi’ra trilogy, StarWars.com can reveal. The series, illustrated by Steven Cummings, will find Qi’ra and the Emperor on a collision course. “This is my hidden empire,” she defiantly declares in Crimson Reign #5, in a tease of what’s to come. “Choke on it.” For Soule, who just saw the release of his 100th Star Wars comic, Hidden Empire is the culmination of years of work. “This new story is designed to deliver the big finale to Qi’ra’s story — at least this phase of it,” he tells StarWars.com. “She emerged from years of hiding with an elaborate, incredible plan to bring down the Sith, and Hidden Empire is the endgame. It brings in players from all over the Star Wars universe, from Darth Vader to Doctor Aphra to the Knights of Ren, and I think it’ll be really satisfying — but tragic. As I had a character say in the very first issue of Crimson Reign, Qi’ra’s story is a tragedy. But… in a good way.”

[​IMG]

One of those good ways, Soule hopes, will be how Hidden Empire further informs Qi’ra’s motivations from his previous stories. At the same time, he wants this tale to be additive to what we know comes after. “Hidden Empire is set between Episodes V and VI. So, there are things this story can do and things it can’t. That said, I think it will deliver a deeply satisfying conclusion to Qi’ra’s arc here, and readers will understand how her choices in this story impacted events all across the Star Wars galaxy at this time. As with many of the comics and novels and ancillary stories beyond the films, the idea is to deepen the experience and understanding of the characters,” he says. “There are direct connections here to both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi — and beyond — and I think the fans will be very happy.”

As the mastermind behind Qi’ra’s return, telling this story has been surprisingly personal for Soule. Reflecting on the experience, he’s both appreciative and excited. “This whole storyline’s been a gift, honestly,” he says. “It’s given me a chance to write some deeply resonant stories that connect with the particular moment in the Star Wars timeline in which they are set, as well as prominent characters across the galaxy. It’s been a very rich experience for me as a writer, and I’ll be sad to say goodbye to Crimson Dawn, Qi’ra, and the rest of this corner of Star Wars once I’m done. This kind of story doesn’t come around that often, and I’m glad I’ve been able to build it alongside Steven Cummings, Luke Ross, and the other amazing writers and artists working in Star Wars right now. I think the fans are in for a treat.”

[​IMG]

Even as his trilogy reaches its climax, Soule’s enthusiasm for Qi’ra remains. To him, it’s no mystery as to why she continues to resonate with fans.

“Qi’ra’s awesome! She’s brilliant and driven and skilled, and has a worldview that’s deeply relatable. She just wants things to be more fair. More even. She wants everyone, no matter where they start in life, to have a chance to improve things for themselves and the people they care about,” he says. “Now, the methods she uses to achieve that goal are maybe a little…questionable. But you can’t argue with the endgame. Qi’ra’s amazing, and it’s been great to help bring her back to the spotlight for fans.”

20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

STAR WARS: HIDDEN EMPIRE #2 (OF 5)

CHARLES SOULE (W) • STEVEN CUMMINGS (A) • Cover by PAULO SIQUEIRA

Battle Variant Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY • Travel Variant Cover by DAVID LOPEZ

Connecting Variant Cover by STEVEN CUMMINGS

• The plans of LADY QI’RA to use an ancient Dark Side weapon known as the FERMATA CAGE to destroy the Sith are falling apart, and she has lost many of her primary resources and allies, with DARTH VADER drawing ever nearer.
    • Can she salvage victory from certain defeat?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    MercenaryAce and Vialco like this.
  21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Judging by RotJ, no.

Still, interesting it is going bad this earlier, I assume there will be a turnaround or two where she almost salvages it.

Love the artstyle of the alternative cover, reminds me of a historical style whose name I can't remember.

AusStig likes this.
  22. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    [​IMG]
    Surprisingly, Crimson Dawn seems to have a rather nice fleet.

Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yussss, I saw that.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, given how this will probably go, don't you mean had? [face_devil]

JediFett10 and AusStig like this.
  25. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    I choose to believe, even if the chances are small.