main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah. Hmmm.

Not quite digging the time travel idea. I mean who knows what they're doing. Unless they visit Atlantis or something new that is long lost to us. lol.

Going back to Indy's past concerns me. Worried they'll rewrite the timeline like some JJ Star Trek stuff.

2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not really a fan of time travel, but in the end it depends how the movies makes it work. It can work if executed well.

Wasn't the Bermuda Triangle connected to missing ships and planes from all over history, leading to the weirdest ideas and conspiracy theories?
    Some of those ideas even including reappearances in another time? And wasn't this craze most pronounced during the 60s and 70s?
    That would fit well to the time the movie plays in, and seem like an interesting connection to time travel. Though Romans in that region would seem a bit far-fetched ;)

edit: Duh, didn't see Gobi-1's post about just that thing...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    paradigmes likes this.
  3. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    Yes, I love it also. It really have a pulp, B-movie vibe to the idea like The Land that Time Forgot. Indy, who spend all his life finding relic from the past, now finds himself as a relic IN the past. It is such a fun idea, and really no more outrageous in the scope than angels, magic stones, 700 year old knights and inter-dimensional beings. It all work for me.

4. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm not shocked by the idea of time travel in an indiana jones movie. What's the point in making another film if it's the same old thing? You have to try new things. They will work or won't but you have to try. 50s alien sci fi was a great idea for indy 4...too bad the script and excecution sucked so much (especially in the 2nd half of the movie, i always thought the first hour or so was actually ok).

So i'm all for time travelling indy. Sounds like it has some potential. In the end the script and execution will turn that plot into success or failure.

Can it end up being silly and lame? Yes of course. Equally it could be a fun device with a fresh take on the series.

paradigmes likes this.
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Once Indy's body begins to wear a bit thin, he'll regenerate into Chris Pratt: the Second Doctor...Jones. [face_mischief] :p

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm generally not a huge fan of time travel stories, because I find they usually get really up their own ass in explaining internal mechanics that get torn to shreds by annoying thinkpiece articles anyway. If there's clear cause-and-effect, and the time travel serves a thematic purpose or aids a character's arc, then I'm on board. Done well, you get stuff like Back to the Future, Looper, or Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. On the flip side, I find that X-Men: Days of Future Past and Avengers: Endgame (as much as I enjoy both of those movies) each explained their mechanics like five times each, and still ended up confusing people.

So I'm not opposed to Indy 5 being a time travel story in principle, because it seems like "time" is going to be both a thematic and narrative element of the film, and I could see that serving a really incredible story reflecting on Indiana's life and his feeling a bit left behind by a rapidly modernizing world.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I loved Ford vs. Ferrari, so I have faith in the director.

8. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I like a lot of Mangold's work, but a lot of my faith is coming from how well he handled the "aging hero with little left in his life" motif in Logan.

9. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    The Bermuda Triangle has been a rumor for years since Skull right?

That could be cool and time travel as well.

Die Glocke was also rumored right? That isn't a time machine tho but a like gravitational thing which I think was debunked right?

Just trying to think of what we know so far.
    • Indy fights Nazis during WW2 on a train possibly full of gold or weapons etc.
    • Indy goes to a castle and maybe causes it to catch fire or expoled?
    • Indy goes to the parade welcoming back astronants from the 69 moon landing.
    • Now Indy has came across Vikings?
    Help me out as I'm no expert.

paradigmes likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Maybe the Viking boat is a replica one.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And the Roman soldiers are reenactors?

paradigmes likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Could be. There are quite a few of those in the UK in real life.

Sarge and paradigmes like this.
  13. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    A lot of big epics and sword and sandal films where shot in Italy during the 1960s Indy could have stumbled onto a film set, ruins the shot and a director (Spielberg in a cameo?) yells cut.

Immortiss, GunganSlayer and Sarge like this.
  14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    It's the Indiana Jones version of black hats and white hats in cowboy movies: bad guys wear Panama hats.

It was Belloq's trademark hat and sort of his equivalent to Indy's fedora in ROTLA. Then Donovan in TLC and Mac in KOTCS both have a scene where they get to wear one. And then of course Indy's first villain, from the beginning of TLC, was literally known only as "Panama Hat."

(Marcus wears briefly in TLC as well, but that only highlights how lost and out of his element he is).

The new character is just continuing this tradition.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    PCCViking likes this.
  15. Fistful Of Fistos

Fistful Of Fistos Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 26, 2019
    Weary me of this topic. Indiana will travel somewhere and a monkey will get poisoned.

16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The funny thing is, when we first meet Indy...he's not really presented as a classic good guy. He enters the movie in total shadow. Almost like a villain would. He wears darker clothes, whereas Balloq is wearing whites. Things seem reversed. He's a raider, too, but he's trying to save relics, and thinks they belong in a museum. It's only by comparison that he's not the worst guy in the movie (at first). And it's only over the course of the movie that he really becomes the classic hero. (And that's after the events of Tempe of Doom, which is a prequel, where he's basically this Bond-like shady relics dealer, or something, really only cares about fortune and glory, and ends up realizing there's more to life. Which probably leads to him start differentiating himself from guys like Balloq.

GunganSlayer, Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Disney just shuffled around their entire release slate, so unless this is a typo, Indiana Jones has been rescheduled from July 2022 to... June 2023.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/doctor...anda-forever-release-date-changes-1234857549/

EDIT: I'd just like to note that I have absolutely no idea how Anthony D'Alessandro still has a job at Deadline. His articles are frequently riddled with massive errors. Case in point, this gem from the linked article:

"Even better, the new Indiana Jones movie was sitting on the same release date as Warner Bros./DC’s Black Adam next year, on July 29, 2022; the movie starring Chris Pratt now moves to June 30, 2023."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Oh God, Pratt. [face_laugh]

Very sad to see this pushed so far out, but also, I'm not entirely shocked by the development given all of the circumstances surrounding the production.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've seen the news in multiple places thanks to Google so I've updated the date on this thread.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  20. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Can’t believe it’s been pushed back again. Oh well.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I wonder if Harrison's injury had anything to do with the delay?

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Speculation it may have to do with the still potential strike.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    IATSE reached a deal with the studios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    This latest delay is certainly a bummer, but the important thing is that this film is under production and currently filming. Past delays were always worrisome because we lacked any official info and never heard anything about pre-production, much less a potential start date for filming. This was originally announced back in what, 2016? With a release date in 2019? It's had its fair share of release delays. Hopefully this will be the last.

As to reasons for the delay...who knows. It could be due to Ford's accident, but maybe not. They did initially state that filming wouldn't be affected at all, but maybe that was just PR spin or overtly optimistic producers (or accountants). Take in mind that multiple Disney related films have been shuffled around, not just Indy, so it may just be part of that general shuffle--perhaps this better aligns with their release strategy. The good news is that this alleviates potential pressure building up to quickly reach a deadline in order to make next summer's date.

I've also seen in some corners of The Internet some folks speculating that some of these delays--in particular the Marvel ones--may also be in part due to the severely challenged supply chains across the globe, particularly for consumer goods and merchandise related to films. The thought it that delaying some of these projects may allow time for the manufacturing and supply chain issues to stabilize so that all their related merchandise can be manufactured, shipped out, and sold.

Who knows?

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Btw, this is not from Indiana Jones. It’s from a 4 year old Ford commercial. :p