main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

More Pablo fun

and then with some other question

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021
    cthugha and Dream-Thinker like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Huh, so my copy of Star Trek Coda 1 just arrived a couple of weeks earlier than the previously expected date of 4 Nov.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Some of the people commenting seem to not know what Star Wars has essentially always been. When was Legends ever that cohesive outside a given long form storyline(NJO, LOTF, FOTJ) or trilogies written by singular authors? There was always stuff all over the timeline, and Bantam was basically just whatever a given author came up with. It had to connect to what came before, but ultimately there wasn't one single narrative with a particular point over all those books. Doubly true for what was going on in games and comics at the time, and even more true when GL was making movies or a cartoon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Pablo continuing to poke holes in the "filmmakers don't play nice with Story Group" narrative is always nice to see. Not sure why he continues to interact with trolls / haters on Twitter though. That never really leads to a good place.

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    @Gamiel That's really cool, especially because it comes from a long-time official Star Wars artist.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Dawud786
    Maybe that's why I like Nu Canon a bit more in general and the post Endor era is because of how things turned out their is now going to have to be a singular narrative.

Or at least MORE of a singular narrative then in Legends.

Especially with Post Endor stuff since even if things like Mandalorian go in their own direction they still have to eventually lead up to TFA and the Sequels.

FS26 likes this.
  9. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Any teachers on here? Just wanted to elevate a recent post by JediBatman that made me feel horribly seen (context: Larroca’s notorious tracing):

To date, I’ve only once had a student submit a hyperlink-filled, wiki-plagiarized “essay,” but it absolutely ruined my entire week. Pretty sure I went right to the liquor cabinet after reading it. The absolute gall still shocks me, two years later.

Anyway, carry on.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My wife returns home from school at least once a school term to spit flames about a teenage student who tries it.

Not to that extent, but still.

11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    My husband teaches programming and has students every semester who submit his own posted homework solutions from previous years (for updated assignments where the old solutions no longer apply!), not bothering to edit out comments to the code that include his own name and the previous year's submission date (think "# solution to homework Z by Mr. XY posted on A/B/C").

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Math is fun for this in that it can be difficult to track plagiarism (depending on the problem all valid solutions might actually look the exact same) but when they whiff it… hoo boy. There was one textbook problem where a solution circulating online had a benign but critical typo (an = sign instead of a + sign, rendering the “solutions” technically meaningless)… which then popped up in about 10-20 students’ solutions. Ah, memories.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    One time I did a fellow student's homework for him as well as my own. I thought I was being really clever - while the answers were the same (being the correct answers), I used different fonts and even formatted the header differently. However, unbeknownst to me, there was a problem with the ink cartridge in my printer which gave everything that was printed a slight green tint to it, not noticeable just from looking at it on its own but very obvious compared to the perfectly black ink printed from the 20+ other students' printers, so my teacher immediately understood what happened and gave us both 50/100 on the assignment.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Pablo reminding us that Star Wars gets recontexualized a lot

Dawud786 and Dream-Thinker like this.
  16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Good points... in the end, SW is neither just the story of Anakin, Luke, Palpatine or else.... it is R2 fricking D2 collecting stories all over the galaxy for the Whills also relegating the task to his coworkers in movies he is not present much himself.

Change my mind!

17. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Too bad they dropped the whole "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" thing. Had a breezy, action-adventure feel to it. And it would have been great to have had "From the Adventures of Anakin Skywalker" and "From the Adventures of Rey" subtitles for the later trilogies as well. I love modern Star Wars but there's a pulpy, fun quality to the oldest stuff - the Marvel comics, the Daley novels, etc - that we just don't get as much of today.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel like the pulpy stuff started to move away around the time of the prequels and with the shift from Bantam to Del-Ray

Star Wars becoming a bit more self serious and melodramatic and I don’t think we’ve truly gotten away from it since

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  19. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Honestly I think Heir to the Empire and its more serious, grounded approach to the material was the beginning of that change.

One of the reasons I think Mandalorian was so successful was that it was freed from all the "heaviness" of being part of THE SAGA and could just tell its story. I hope future films, whether Feige's film or Johnson's trilogy, manage to capture that same feel.

20. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Heir to the Empire and subsequent Bantam books weren’t without their pulp elements though. Ditto a lot of the early Tales of the Jedi comics.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I disagree i think Heir to the Empire has more pulp then later stuff that would come in the mid 2000's

22. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

the comic adaption certainly did!

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Probably also because without the techno battle of non dialogue parts you can just strip it down to visuals and action and you get for real pulpy story.

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That stuff was really limited to those early Del Rey novels.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Lord Exor

So if Dark Empire was a good basis for 7-9 in your eyes that connects to the foundations of Star Wars what should 10-12 be inspired by that also connects to the foundations of Star Wars