main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The Original Trilogy is the only one that remotely works as a trilogy

The Prequels and Sequels should have either been more films or a tv series. Or films with TV spin-offs like Marvel is doing.

2. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't believe this statement and I don't accept it. I don't care one way or the other about the Sequel Trilogy. But if you tell me that the Prequel didn't work as a trilogy, I will never agree with you. Never. Both the Prequel and Original trilogies had their flaws, but both had worked as far as I'm concerned. And it took the Prequel Trilogy for me to truly appreciate Lucas' saga as a whole . . . at least before Disney took over. And please don't bring up "The Clone Wars". Most of the story arcs featured in that series had nothing to do with the main narrative for the Prequel Trilogy, despite its setting.

3. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I wish Luke was wearing dark brown in Jedi NOT black...never sat right with me :cool:

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well that's why this is called a Unpopular Opinion thread now is it.

And as far as i'm concerned the Prequels don't work as a cohesive trilogy.

The OT barley works as a cohesive trilogy

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2021
  5. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think the PT works, but I get why some people think it's less cohesive than the OT. It's a much more expansive story that covers more time than the OT does, and a series would've definitely given it more time to flesh things out and tell Anakin's story from innocent slave boy to Darth Vader, as opposed to young adult farm boy to Jedi Knight.

The ST though... yeah, I don't think any amount of time would've really made that ''story'' work, IMO.

6. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I don't think so. Most other Jedi and even Jawas wear dark brown, the Ewoks are mostly dark brown as well. So what would have offset Luke from all those other characters wearing more or less the same colors?
    People seem to assume black always equals evil or death. Wrong. Even among cultures on Earth, color associations vary greatly among them. Maybe in the west black is associated with death at funerals. In many East Asian societies people wear white for funerals and mourning.
    The stormtroopers wear white as well. So better not make such assumptions about a fictional story.

7. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    I do not know how much should be made of this, but it is interesting that Luke wear a grey tunic over his black costume at the start of Return of the Jedi. Then, as the film goes on and he finds himself pressured to join the dark side, he is all in black, and his outfit is very Imperial officer appearance. Then at the end when he overcome Vader and resist the Emperor, he open his outfit to reveal a grey panel underneath, showing that he is back on the light side.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I kind of wish they kept the black Jedi-looking tunic Luke wore over the tighter black suit. It really resembles Anakin's look in the PT.

Then again, the simple black suit does help distinguish Luke from his father, which is very fitting for the themes of RotJ.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Haha - Oh give it a rest... No need to dramatically over react. It was a simple comment about his wardrobe...

The Emperor and Vader wear black. :emperor::vader: Obi Wan and Yoda wear brown. :yoda::ben: I just would have preferred his look to line up with the Jedi rather than the Sith :cool: Regardless of whether one side wore pink and the other purple sheesh [face_dunno]

Anakin's wardrobe in the prequels gets darker and darker as he strays from the light. This was something that was there from the get go.

10. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Nobody is overreacting, except for you - just cool down.

11. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Lukes robes arent black. They are a dark gray color or at least off black.

As for lukes gear under the robe hamill had said to Lucas that the outfit was very vaderish to which lucas replied its supposed to be.

FlashDriver and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  12. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    The Chosen One prophecy is honestly dumb and the franchise as a whole would be better off without it.

13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The political maneuvering of Lando's predicament in assisting the Empire in ESB is something I wish the OT era in both film and expanded material did more of. The OT era expanded material needs more interesting complex situations for the heroes in general.

The political allegories of the PT are still the only trilogy where any of the parallels feel relevant and work well for the most part.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    darkspine10 and Count Yubnub like this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

In the OT era in general isn't that politically deep.

Heck you watch ANH and you don't really know what the Rebellion is about outside of "Dictatorial Empire is Bad"

Honestly though when Star Wars does more politically driven stories it's never that great to begin with. Star Wars is better when it's politics is subtexts not text.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2021
    Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rebels and Rogue One did do a better job talking about different resistance factions forming and eventually coming together to form the Rebel Alliance than the OT did, yes, and I would not have minded seeing more of that.

16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The Partisans were a really interesting faction. It's like "Oh yeah, there would be rebel groups that would border more on terrorism than freedom fighter." Seeing even more infighting between the groups would be a new dynamic. Hopefully Andor gives us more of that.

I also like how Leia's background as a politician it utilized in some of the expanded material. Between protecting Imperial POWs from former rebel turned extremist Eneb Ray, to prisoner exchanges with the Empire, to negotiating with neutral systems to join the Alliance, I love when the Rebels get more political stories.

17. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Making the sequel trilogy part of the "Skywalker Saga" was a mistake. The original six part saga didn't leave much room for a direct continuation due to how ROTJ ended. It would have been better to distance the sequel trilogy a bit and allow it to set up a new (maybe six part?) saga. This would have allowed more creative freedom and avoided the need to rehash (such as bringing back Sidious). I'm not sure whether that means they should have made it take place in the distant future though. After all, just about everyone was excited to see fan favorites Luke, Han, and Leia return after so long.

18. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't mind the political talk in the PT, but I like the lack of it in the OT. Helps the two eras feel more distinct.

19. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    The PT and the ST are just as good as the OT.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    GL's ST would've been better than all three.

21. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I hate the ST, but I'm not really convinced that a Lucas ST would've been better. I don't mind midi-chlorians, but I wouldn't want a trilogy delving into them, much less going into the weird Mortis / Yoda arc type of stuff.

22. JediRaiden

JediRaiden Jedi Padawan

Jul 1, 2019
    I agree with this. I didn't really fully appreciate the prequels until I saw The Clone Wars, which made them feel more "complete" to me. And the sequels are just a unfinished mess in general.

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Politics don’t matter much in dictatorships.

JediRaiden likes this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Well that, among other things, is exactly what I expected the trilogy to bring to the table. Without it, I don't really see the point of making it, to be honest :)

Count Yubnub and ezekiel22x like this.
  25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yep. Star Wars needs much more weirdness, and less unyielding devotion to the perceived defining characteristics of the OT.

Watcherwithin and Lulu Mars like this.