main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Surgeon General of the state of Florida was kicked out of a state Senator's office after refusing to put on a mask despite the Senator stating they were immunocompromised.

"Sen. Tina Polsky, who was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in August, asked state Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo and his two legislative aides to leave her office after Ladapo refused to comply with her request to put on a mask.
    In an interview, Polsky explained, "I told him I had a serious medical condition," adding that the doctor "offered to go outside when she asked him to put the mask on, but she declined," according to Jordan Sexton.
    "I don't want to go outside. I want you to sit in my office and talk to you," Polsky recalled before adding, "He just smiles and doesn't answer. He's very smug. And I told him several times, `I have this very serious medical condition.' And he said, 'That's OK,' like it basically has nothing to do with what we are talking about."
    She also stated that Ladapo attempted to make light of the situation on the way out, telling her, "Sometimes I try to reason with unreasonable people for fun." "

What an unbelievable piece of ****.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    GOP=Guardians of Plague
    Republican mascot=Grim Reaper

blackmyron, jcgoble3 and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    News just in:

I OBJECT TO THIS HUMAN ASSOCIATION. I AM NOBODY'S MASCOT.

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  5. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    All showers are now open at my gym. No more every other shower, no more social distancing. I mean it's Sunday morning and there's maybe 30 people in the entire gym, but just an observation.

Also remember how I felt left out because I had to wait so long for my first round of Covid shots? I'm feeling left out again since I don't qualify for a booster. I did read it might be coming for those of us over 40 and I want my 8 year old to get his more than I want a booster. Just sayin'.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean it’s not like them doing the research is gonna hold back doing testing for 5-11 year olds. I am sure they can do both

9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Boosters will eventually come for everyone, the current requirements are just rationing. Also, there's no shortage where I am; I walked into the vaccine clinic Friday and was the only patient in the room for a few minutes. Depending on whether your local clinics/pharmacies are asking for proof of qualifying medical conditions/occupations for those you are younger, you might be able to get away with a little white lie. I wasn't asked for any evidence of being obese (my qualifying condition), and I certainly don't look obese (the excess weight is really evenly distributed).

As for your 8-year-old, the FDA is meeting Tuesday to consider the EUA request, and a decision is likely to come on or shortly after Halloween, according to the New York Times.

Rew, Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Juliet316 and Runjedirun like this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @jcgoble3 I had the least amount of side effects with my booster shot. Just my arms were a bit sore (got my flu shot at the same time), got a little achy in my joints and went to bed a bit early the next day. That was it. Not that I a ton of side effects from the first two doses but I did have them therefore was fully expecting them especially since I got the flu shot with it. But for some reason I barely had any side effects including no 5G, becoming magnetic or even had something hatch inside me. I feel so left out. :)

@DarkGingerJedi I feel you as I had one of my students test positive two weeks ago. It was a breakthrough case but they were asymptomatic as there was a small breakout on one of the sports teams and they got it from there but again luckily asymptomatic. And thanks to good mitigation & contact tracing they were make it an extremely isolated breakout as it was only four students that were effected by it. I could not imagine what they been like with no vaccines, no mitigation and no contact tracing. I guess that is how schools that needed to shutdown began. Breakout on a sports team and/or school bus leads to a massive spread.

I do worry less about it personally has I know my odds were very good that after two doses of not having a significant case and now after a booster shot *knock on wood* those odds are even better. I just don't want to bring it home since my kids at best won't have both doses until around Thanksgiving at the earliest plus even if they were vaxxed, I just plain old don't want it. I don't why the antivaxxers are so keen on getting sick but I think it's always best to not get sick. I know that must be crazy talk to them since to them the cool kids get sick but whatever I prefer not getting sick and/or effecting other people. Call me crazy.

@blackmyron Again I think they are going to go after his medical license. That is not the actions/words of a medical profession. Other MAGA state surgeon generals might not been pushed for vaccine mandates but I don't any of them that has basically said the vaccines are "nothing special". And how he acted with her? Forget no doctor makes light of a situation like that expect if they are
    It won't change anything since long as DeSantis is governor but it be pretty darn humiliating. And obviously extremely justified.

@Runjedirun Yeah the showers at our gym have been open since summer and never closed. I rarely use them though since either I have the boys with me as they go play basketball while I lift and/

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    See what happens when you remove politics from public health?

I wonder how crazy Republicans would be with opposing COVID measures if Trump had never run for president. You know, if we had had a more reasonable Republican president from 2017-2021.

Yeah, most of what I've heard is you either have the same reaction you had to the second shot, or you have basically no reaction at all. My headache is gone and I'm left with just a sore arm.

13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    An important development came up a few days ago related to investigation of pandemic's origin, which exposes Fauci's many denials over NIH's funding gain-of-function research to be untruthful:

For the first time, NIH is acknowledging and confirming that Eco Health Alliance (EHA) was conducting experiments in Wuhan to enhance the pathogenicity of bat coronaviruses. Particularly, it confirms information we previously learned through journalists FOIA-acquired documents, that EHA failed to meet its responsibility to report instances of a pathogen's viral load increasing by more than 10x. In fact, according to their own reports, they increased viral load by 10,0000x as demonstrated in humanized mice.

The article includes an important refresher on another key fact we learned over the past few months:
    To be clear, this is still not the "smoking gun," as we've yet to see concrete proof of lab-created virus matching SARS-CoV-2's genome. However, it is very noteworthy, because COVID's most distinct characteristic was that it is the only member of its genus with a furin cleavage site adapted for infecting humans.

This admission from NIH also undermines Fauci's narrative, his denials that his agency funded gain-of-function research is a semantic parlor game, and reeks of a coverup. Anybody sincerely concerned with the pandemic's impact needs to take this seriously, because at this point it is undeniable that U.S. has been funding research to create super viruses with the potential to cause global pandemics on the scale of COVID, even in faraway laboratories where they have no direct oversight.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    My question is: was Fauci actually aware of this? Or was he genuinely in the dark?

15. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    It is frankly unbelievable that he was unaware of EcoHealth Alliance's research, the question is when he became aware. When he made these denials to the U.S. Senate in May 2021, under oath, he must have been familiar with the research being funded in Wuhan, but played word games to enable his denials.

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah I’m already hearing a certain subset of my social circle wailing and gnashing their teeth about him being a liar.

(all the while having deafeningly silent about the lies of the previous administration)

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @jcgoble3 Yeah I basically had no reaction really other what I said and ditto my wife. Most people I talk to said they had similar side effects as their second dose though a teacher I worked said he had none after having some after his second dose so I guess it truly depends.

@Runjedirun I should add that I honestly never feel comfortable showering at the gym since our the Men's Adult Locker Room is still "Old Man Naked Theater." To me the locker room is to shower, change and move on with their day. But at our gym since for old guys to sit on the couches naked in order to watch TV/gripe about life. So even though I'm middle aged I still don't get it and never will. I do shower now on Sundays since the boys don't come with me to play basketball (they like to sleep in on Sundays now) and I get their early enough I don't have to deal with it so much lol.

And like jcgoble3 said the booster shot will be there when you need it. Just they are starting with their first groups who got dose and going from there. And like you I'm way more concerned about our kids getting vaxxed then our booster though relieved we got since we were closing in our eight months from our second dose. It does appear they are going to start with the kid vaccination within the next 10-14 days therefore we already trying to schedule them at the pediatrician since we just feel more comfortable with them getting it there. Flu shots are fine at a pharmacy but for this at least their initial doses we feel better they get at their doctors office. Plus my daughter gets squirmy for a shot so they are better equipped to handle that then some poor pharmacist. Just hope we can at least them in for it by the second week of November so they will be fully dose for winter break/Christmas.

So not sure if it's just us being a bit more comfortable and/or things are getting better but things seem to slowly changing for us. Last year for our anniversary lunch (we go out to lunch since we what really want is an empty house that night) was takeout in a empty movie theater parking lot. Yesterday we had our anniversary lunch at a steakhouse. We were in a very large open tent and there was nobody really sitting around us (technically our anniversary is this week so we should went next Saturday but we're not free) so it felt very comfortable. We also sign up the boys to play basketball this winter while their little sister is going to do cheerleading for their school. If you asked me even two months ago if we they be doing basketball/cheerleading for their school I say no. But the cases *fingers crossed* have been low at their school/area but really it's the fact all indications are they will be getting vaccinated in time for it what allowing us to be okay with it. Their games/performances are not until mid-November so they should be at least starting their vaccination process. They are obviously stoked.

That all said? We are still laying low. Halloween Eve Neighborhood Party will be outside and we don't have any type of outings, eating out or going to the movies theater for the next few months. And we already know our holidays will be low key. The only extended family we are seeing is my mom's side around Christmas and everyone will be vaccinated for it (about 30 people including kids) and my cousins are already in a agreement will all take rapid tests before the party. I do think part of us laying low for now is that being late fall/holidays approaching we are swamped with school (work) so it's just part of that time of the year for us but I think the majority is we still want to lay low with everything going on. Plus I think we gotten use to being home as I do see our house continues to become one of the hangout places for our kids friends which I find hilarious since for their friends (the ones who attend public school in the area which is the vast majority of them), they are currently hanging out at the principal's house and eventually they will be hanging out at one of their social studies teachers house. :)

Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I've been having an unusually hard time dealing with the fact that it's fall. I knew it didn't feel like fall and I couldn't figure out why. I figured out why, now. Everything stopped in the end of winter, March 2020. So now that everything has picked back up again with the kids in school, baseball practice, me at work full time and even going back to the gym, it should be Spring. At least that's how my brain feels.

I like showering at my gym. Feels more like I get my money worth if I use their water. Half the showers were always open, but now they just went ahead and reopened them all. No towel service though, still.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My grandma and uncle both just got their Moderna boosters, which I set up for them at CVS. Very happy. They are the most vulnerable people in my family so it feels good for them to have this protection.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Runjedirun Despite the insanity of my schedule in the fall (teaching, coaching, family etc) fall is one of my favorite times of year. I love fall weather, fall foods, fall clothing and obviously it's nothing but football for us starting Friday Night Lights (they are obviously to the point they are coming to most games) to Sunday Night. But it also depresses me in a way since while I love the holidays (as my wife says I'm a Christmas Junkie and one of my favorites things in the world is to be at home on New Year’s Day watching the parade and bowl games with nothing to go along with a never ending eating fest of munchy food) I know winter comes right after and I just hate it. Absolutely hate it especially February. I can handle January since NFL Playoffs plus excitement of a New Year gets me thru the month but February though? I can hibernate thru the whole month. Winter Olympics is about my only salvation therefore really looking forward to the games in February though it being in China is obviously a major issue.

I have not thought it that way when it comes to normalcy continues to come back as to me it's been coming back since last spring. It's almost like we are in a semi normal node right now but who knows when true normalcy will come back. I must admit it's less on my mind as the months go by but it's still there. To me a big moment of normalcy is when I go out and don't think about it at all.

And I do like showering at the gym since I love using someone else's hot water and well with 5 people soon needing showers everyday soon any hot water that be saved is a good thing. Plus it's nice just too worry about myself for a change. But again Old Man Naked Theater makes it so annoying to shower there.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Do you really blame them? I mean, would you want to be the person in charge of washing all those dirty towels?

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My experience has been that any services still cut are to save on (labor) costs than anything to do with COVID safety.

I got my booster late yesterday afternoon. I saw parents getting the vaccine (plus flu) for their kids which slightly brightened my mood. The only side effects I've felt is a lot of pain in the arm and shoulder where I got the injection.

23. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    He should be reported to the state medical board for disciplinary action. That is not okay.

Won’t matter. Every state where they have a trifecta will simply ‘pick’ the GOP candidate in each election regardless of who wins. There could literally be 1 Republican voting in an election vs 10,000 Democrats and if the GOP was in control prior to Election Day, they would pick their own as the winner.

24. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    @Glitterstimm

I have to disagree with your conclusions about what was going in Wuhan in the strongest possible terms. While the NIH’s comments raise suspicion in regards to what Dr. Fauci knew and when, it is completely wrong to equate legitimate gain-of-function research with the creation of ‘superviruses’. The point of breeding viruses in culture with the intention of strengthening them is to observe how the process occurs so that we can better understand and be prepared when things like COVID come along. Your statement about the Furin site implies that it was somehow directly engineered into the spike protein. There is no conclusive evidence that this occurred. Beyond that, anyone with a graduate-level understanding of virology knows that the bat coronaviruses being worked on at Wuhan were genetically so dissimilar from SARS-CoV-2 that it could not have been manipulated in such a fashion without leaving clear traces. Evolution, however, could easily have done it. Is it impossible? No. But it’s very, very unlikely.

That being said, I have the following concerns about the NIH’s funding scheme:

1. There appears to be inadequate oversight of where the money was going and what it was being used for
    2. There was clearly a lack of transparency from the Chinese over how the lab was being operated and what was going on there
    3. Dr. Fauci should have been more involved in pressuring his counterparts overseas in regards to data from the Wuhan Virology Institute in regards to what they knew about the pandemic.

That’s a far cry from him participating in a cover-up that the lab created and released COVID, however. I know that’s not what you’re saying, but probably half the country believes that’s what happened, and perpetuating innuendos grounded in a misrepresentation of the actual science is not a tactic anyone who respects legitimate medical research should be engaging in.

Rand Paul has medical training, and his continued perpetuation of this storyline is inexcusable.

solojones, Rew, Rylo Ken and 10 others like this.
  25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Weird, Rand Paul is so usually on the ball

Rylo Ken and Vaderize03 like this.