main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I had two really awful nights of sleep, then slept twelve hours last night. So I pretty much just feel like this week has gone on forever. But after work tomorrow, I get to hang out with my niece who just read the first Harry Potter book and will be watching the movie with me.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Glad it was seemingly only a 24 hour thing JC.

Ugh, Yes. Between these 2 weeks of really not getting my full weekend, I feel this soooo much. Ohhhh. That gives me some inspiration for perhaps a Harry Potter marathon - if the weekend ever comes!

I have leftovers for dinner (thank goodness! But you bet I am doing take-out tomorrow) so I'm trying to decide if I want to do the adult thing and do a few chores this evening (just a load of laundry, taking out the garbage and maybe vacuuming) so I can truly relax after work tomorrow, or just having that nagging feeling all weekend.

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not totally certain of that yet. There's still a very small amount of coughing (a few every 10-15 minutes) and the cold medicine hasn't worn off yet (still have another half hour to an hour before that happens), so I haven't seen how I feel without it. But I'm hoping.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Currently having (another) one of those days where I am counting down the minutes till I can stop working. I have exactly 55 minutes left, then I'm ordering sushi, getting in my bean-bag chair and doing nothing but watching movies. I did the garbage and recycling yesterday and am running the roomba now so I can finally JUST RELAX.

It's been awhile since I've just counted down the clock on a Friday afternoon.

54 now!!!

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and amidalachick like this.
  5. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Hope you're feeling better @jcgoble3!

Enjoy your evening @Briannakin. That honestly sounds like a great time! :D

The grocery store I usually go to opened a Starbucks kiosk this week so all week they've had a grand opening special of $3 lattes. I've exerted some self-control and only indulged in two pumpkin spice lattes so far. I might have to go tomorrow after work for one more though. :p

Chyntuck, Briannakin and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    So a trifecta of good things today:
    1. I'm definitely feeling better and was able to fully resume normal activities. Definitely just a 24-hour bug (that lasted about 36 hours :p).
    2. I had a ton of fun tonight playing canoe battleships* with campus recreation even though we missed the championship round on a tiebreaker duel.
    3. I got a phone call out of the blue from the manager I had interviewed with on Tuesday morning telling me that he wanted to proceed with getting a second interview set up and to get a couple of brief clarifications. So he passed that to the recruiter, who emailed me a short time later, and now I have a phone chat scheduled with the recruiter on Monday morning to set up the second interview. They sound really, really serious about wanting to bring me on.
    *What is canoe battleships? Simple: form teams of 4 players, put all four members of each team in a single two-person canoe in the recreation center pool, and give each player a choice of a bucket for offense or a kickboard for defense. When the whistle blows, last canoe floating wins. The only rules are that you can't bail water out of your own boat or physically push another boat under; they have to sink solely by taking on water via buckets or tipping. Lifeguards and other staff members standing in the pool helped to push the canoes around during battle to keep everyone in the action and prevent them from drifting too far away or into the deep end.

We had six teams and four canoes, so they set up five heats of three to four teams each so that every team got three heats, then the top four teams fought in the championship round. We were tied for fourth place after the five initial heats, so we got a 1v1 sudden death duel against the team we were tied with where they positioned our canoes parallel with and within a couple of feet of each other, and let us go at it with the buckets. We sunk about two seconds before they did but I couldn't be sad about it because it was hilarious and fun.

All in all, a great day that I sorely needed after the disaster that this week has been up until this point. :D

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I legit just almost forgot what day my birthday was on. I thought for some reason it was tomorrow, but it’s on Sunday lol. That would have been embarrassing if I did not catch myself with that mistake

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice day @jcgoble3 with canoe-battleships. At the fire-department we had waterfun with a big skippy-ball and our low pressure hoses squirting enough water to get that ball moving and all of us soaking wet

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My birthday is the day after thanksgiving this year and I’m going to high tea at a fancy hotel with two of my friends because that’s what we did for the day before my birthday last year.

10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I love spontaneity, and it's one of the biggest reasons (aside from being, you know, asexual and aromantic) that I will never marry or have kids. Today it came in the form of a friend from my Dungeons and Dragons group texting me at 5:15 PM wanting me to be an actor in a short film he was creating (he's majoring in motion picture making). I said sure, when were you thinking about doing this? He immediately said, "right now!"

Turns out he's participating in a 48-hour film festival challenge where participants were given a genre, a line of dialogue, a character name, and a prop they are required to use at 7:00 PM Friday evening and then have only 48 hours to write a script, film the scenes, and edit the video and audio into a finished product to submit by the deadline of 7:00 PM Sunday evening. So yeah, it was kind of urgent as he needed to wrap filming today so that he could spend tomorrow editing.

I ended up driving over to his apartment and we spent four hours shooting scenes using his bedroom as a set and also heading into the motion picture building at the university and shooting some scenes in various places in and around there. It was a lot of fun and brought back memories of the handful of short (10-to-20-minute) theatre skits I did in elementary school. I hadn't acted in any form since then.

He's going to let me know when the submitted films will be screened; this film challenge occurs in cities all over the US, and the ones produced in our area will be screened on an actual movie theater big screen somewhere local. I will make sure not to miss that. Local winners get a chance to show their film at one of the big-name national film festivals, so maybe my friend can win?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Trey Stokes’ Truly Dangerous company does that festival occasionally. I love seeing the results. (Trey is the guy behind Pink 5.)

Happy birthday, Jediknightfett

Chyntuck, amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I have two second-round job interviews coming up, one on Friday morning and one on Monday morning. The one on Friday is in person, which I haven't done an in-person interview in ages. It's all been phone and Zoom interviews for quite some time now.

Send me good thoughts. :)

14. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    *sends lots of good thoughts and good vibes*

Best of luck, you got this! :)

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Good luck on the interviews JC!

Work has gotten frustrating again. Our CEO has basically fallen off of the earth, leaving us in a permanent state of "what is going on, what are we supposed to be doing exactly to cover for her". Communication - on several levels -isn't a strong suit and it's so annoying. I was asked to cover a cycle this morning since we were short volunteers - it was in town but an hour before I normally work. I showed up but turns out a bunch of people canceled and I wasnt needed (and there wasnt a bike I could ride anyways so I couldnt even just be an extra pair of hands).

But it did mean I got to the office early, plus I worked over my normal hours the past 2 days. So I could either go home early today OR work like 2 hours tomorrow and have a super short Friday. Rather have a short Friday (I REALLY need to devote some energy into cleaning) but I'm kinda waiting on answers to several things (again, communication is a problem area) so I am currently working on things that are so low-priority right now I know I wont get back to for MONTHS.

16. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    *dropping in after busy RL period *
    A surprise pinged in on my phone yesterday: "Shall we buy tickets to this concert."
    https://www.oslospektrum.no/star-wars-live-in-concert.6395529-133570.html
    Me: "Yeeees!"
    And then - wait, what...? What did I say yes to?
    A couple of minutes later I had read what it was all about, and I decided that the initial yes was a good decision. ANH on large screen with live music cannot be entirely wrong.

Tickets were bought immediately.

Chyntuck, mavjade and amidalachick like this.
  17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Utah symphony has done all of the OT now and I’ve seen all of those concerts. Seeing the imperial fleet on big screen in a 3000-seat concert hall was fantastic in ESB. I cried twice at ROTJ because of the music.

Chyntuck, amidalachick and CaraJinn like this.
  18. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Good choice then. [face_dancing]

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I love seeing films in concert. I’ve seen Home Alone, a few Harry Potters, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, even Casablanca. And there’s a much more relaxed tone in the audience because they bring their children and let them react to things very naturally. So watching the bandits get wrecked in Home Alone made everyone just laugh hysterically and people applauded at the revelation at Bespin.

I’m now just under three days from vacation and I’m so tired of everything from work. But I have a friend who came from California to visit and she brought me a Grogu plushie that’s literally larger than my torso and head as a hello present. I’ve been hugging it and doing deep breathing when stressed today.

20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I just let out a huge, long burp and I feel 100% better now. :p

All three (!) job interviews went well. The two I referenced above both were very good conversations and I have high hopes for both (more so for the one I interviewed with on Monday). During the Friday interview, I received an email from another company I had applied to back in mid-September, where apparently my emailed application got filtered into the recruiter's spam folder and she just found it. :oops:That turned into a short phone interview on Monday morning, immediately after the other interview.

All three have said they may reach out to me as early as later this week. The first two have reached the hiring decision stage, while the third company (the one where the application went into the spam folder) would need to do a second-round interview via Zoom. I'm actually very interested in the third company, as it's closer to my local amusement park and I have a friend through the roller coaster community who works there as a software developer, so I have a built-in connection, so I'm hoping they move quickly. I did make them aware of the status of the other two hiring processes, so here's hoping.

Chyntuck, Gamiel and amidalachick like this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hopefully they get back to you soon JC! That sounds awesome!

Star Wars in concert is on my bucket list. Vancouver Symphony did ESB a few years back and if they ever do it again, I really want to go.

I'm normally really good - even when I'm working from home like I am today - at putting in my hours and being done work around 4. My schedule is generally very flexible but I just don't like working into the evening. But it looks like today I'm going to have to. I had no motivation to get up this morning. I put in a half hour, then got really hangry so I ate breakfast. It's just before noon now and I really want to get my big, time and energy consuming chore done of changing the kitty litter and taking out a cart full of garbage and recycling. Kinda want to do it now because if I wait till I'm done work, it'll be dark out.

I just have zero motivation to work. I know I've had long weekends here and there - and I did kinda 'get away' for 4 days with my hiking trip last month, but that was WITH work. I think I just need a week off to do nothing.

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I feel you on that. Since fall semester started, it's been go-go-go-go all the time. I wish we had a fall break like we have a spring break because I could use one right about now.

I was supposed to get a piece of work done on our senior capstone group project today that ought to take about two hours, but I slept in, got a late breakfast, discussed some recent news in a hobby, went to class, picked up my dry cleaning, ate dinner, and now I want to do my gaming club's board game night tonight, so that capstone work ain't getting done. I'll have to do it tomorrow after our weekly group meeting at 8am instead of before the meeting.

23. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Glad to hear the interviews went well @jcgoble3. Fingers crossed for you! [face_good_luck]

SAME. My last vacation was in September 2019. I'm really, truly glad that I've been able to work through the whole pandemic, because if I would have been stuck at home I don't think I'd be here right now. But at this point I just really need a break. We all really need a break!

I've actually been thinking of going away for a few days this winter. The idea of staying in a hotel out of town (or even in town) still makes me a bit nervous but I'm fully vaxxed, I wear masks everywhere, and I certainly wouldn't be around people very much. Doing nothing, being alone, and not talking to anyone would be the whole point of going, after all. :p

Chyntuck, Briannakin and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I am now off of work until November 8 and leaving for parts south in 19 hours. I’m so very, very tired.

Chyntuck, amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    DO IT! I got away to a hotel for like 20 hours for my birthday (which I'm still mad about I didn't get my 5 day vacation) and it was a bit weird and kinda nervewracking, but glorious.

I'm not going to get much of a holiday - our huge fundraiser is New Years day so we are only shutting down the office from about the 24th-27th (which is the weekend anyways) so I'm thinking about taking a FULL WEEK (or maybe even 2) off later in January... though I'm not sure what I'd do. The highways are a bit treacherous in the winter. But getting a hotel room in the city isnt the worst idea.

So we're going to have a mini halloween party at work (some stupid fun is much needed) and I was just going to throw on the Narwhal onsie my sister bought me years ago but I really wanted an excuse to wear the huge black Sith robe I made back in high school (just because its fun to wear), so I sewed a really rough plague doctor mask. It's rough, but I think it's hilarious.