main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Obi Wan Kenobi as Gary Stu (revisited)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by englishlady, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You're correct. He literally expresses his devastation right before he leaves.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Obi-Wan using “true from a certain point of view” instead of just owning that he lied (albeit with good intentions) made him imperfect.

3. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019

I don't know if that's a good excuse in my eyes. I still regard his action as unnecessarily cruel. Earlier, I had stated that too many fans tend to make excuses for Obi-Wan's mistakes or sweep them under the table. Why do so many go out of their way to do this? Why is it so hard to acknowledge his mistakes and regard him as a flawed character?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  4. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    But if this is so, why then does he stick around and yell to Anakin for a bit?
    Over a minute pass between him slicing Anakin to bits and him leaving.
    First he just looks at Anakin struggling, then he yells at him about Anakin being the chosen one.
    Then he walks a little away and picks up Anakin's sabre. Then Anakin yells "I hate you!" and Obi-wan stops and talks some more and then sees Anakin burst into flames and he looks a little longer and then he finally leaves.
    I could be wrong but I think there were lines in the script where Anakin pleads with Obi-wan to not leave him like this but Obi-Wan begins to walk away and then Anakin yells "I hate you!" Which makes some sense. Leaving someone that is pleading for help is pretty cold.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

5. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Was Lucas ever on-the-record about this? I thought Lucas said that Obi-Wan thought Anakin died on that shore, but even if that was what Lucas said, Anakin is still yelling when Obi-Wan walks away so that still doesn't explain why he doesn't give him a mercy kill. Plus, I might be misremembering.

I know that James Luceno book "DARK LORD: THE RISE OF DARTH VADER has Obi-Wan watching the news on Tatooine and suddenly realizes that Vader is still alive. I know that's not canon anymore, but I'm more concerned with finding out what LFL's stance was at the time, not so much what ""official canon"" is.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  6. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    If Lucas said anything about this I don't know.
    But given the situation, I could see Obi-Wan figuring that Anakin would die eventually given that he was on fire and had no means to get anywhere. It was pretty cruel for Obi-Wan to leave Anakin to die like this and I thought that when I first saw the film and have not changed my mind. To me, Obi-Wan is either super cold or downright viscous.
    I think that the novelization had Obi-Wan sensing something dark coming, which was Sidious, so he hurried away. If he knew that this was Sidious and that Sidious might save Anakin's life is unclear. If he did, now he has another reason to finish Anakin off. To make sure Sidious does not save him.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

7. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I know I'm always talking about moving the pieces of these films around to improve them, and a lot of you are probably tired of hearing it, but hear me out.

We already had the shields of the Mustafar stronghold get deactivated during the lightsaber fight, right? So why not have Obi-Wan look like he is about to give Anakin a mercy kill, only to suddenly have more alarms going off nearby from the stronghold. Then he has to race back, as the facility is collapsing, and make sure that he gets Padme away as quickly as possible. Plus there could be a tense nick-of-time element leading up to escaping Mustafar as opposed to Obi-Wan calmly walking back like he's just finished up a nights drinking.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  8. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    If I were to redo it slightly then I would have Anakin having his other arm sliced off and loose his lightsabre.
    Obi-Wan then demands that he yield. Anakin angrily refuses, jumps away, lands on a piece of rock that breaks and he falls down out of sight and we hear a scream as flames rise. Obi-Wan turns away in grief and walks away, stopping just to pick up the lightsabre. Then pan across and we see a badly burned Anakin but alive.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

9. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    That sounds really comical. I'm not saying I'm against it, just that it would probably elicit a laugh.

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yep. Obi-Wan is flawed from beginning to end of the Prequels. As is everyone...

Deffo not a Gary Stu

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Dandelo likes this.
  11. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    If I started this thread about Rey it would be shut down straight away...

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Indeed, I thought the phrase in the thread title was "highly disfavored" around here.

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  13. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Yeah, this! I hate the phrase being used at all... I get the meaning behind it and sometimes agree with exactly who they might be talking about BUT isn't it a no-go conversation around here...?

Obi being perfect/amazing at everything is absurd anyway...

14. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019

Oh dear. It never ends.:rolleyes:

Perhaps Lucas never really saw this as an excuse and only said it to placate those fans who wanted to believe that Obi-Wan was not capable of being that petty and/or cruel.