main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    Except of the questions which were left over (in 2005) when we watched ROTJ again and asked ourselves: 1) What happened to Sidious' cheating death plan?, 2) What happened to the major fleet and ressources of the Empire? and 3) What did Obi-Wan mean with becoming more powerful than you could ever imagine? + minor questions like 4) What happened to Luke, Han and Leia?, 5) Will we ever get to know more about the very past of the Jedi or the force? or 6) Can the galaxy reform their politics to a stabile democrazy directly after ROTJ or will they need some bad experience again?

Of course you can ask questions regarding the in-universe future after every trilogy (naturally also after the ST) but I by myself found the OT's end never that definitive and satisfying as some people do. So I see the ST as an epilogue to the saga: important enough to be watched with interest but too morally and too "preventing-the-big-dark-to-come-back"-ish to be essential to the actual story.

jaimestarr and Sarge like this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What Obi-Wan meant was simply that he would become immortal and be able to influence things from a higher plane of existence. I'd say that was kind of obvious already in ANH.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Riv_Shiel, Bee Bee and Watcherwithin like this.
  3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The ST was an epilogue that took too many notes from Harry Potter's actual epilogue, IMO. It proved sometimes it's better to leave vague mysteries alone.

There were things left to wonder with the ending of RotJ, but I don't think that any lingering questions were really important enough to necessitate a whole movie trilogy. Most things were just left open in that Happily Ever After way (whatever happened to this or that character, did they have kids, etc.), or had easy enough guesses.

I'm not a big fan of the EU, but I think leaving that kind of post-RotJ material up to books and comics was probably the best move. People who love them can accept them, people who don't can just wave them off as "book canon".

Also can't agree that going weird micro-mysticism was the only direction Star Wars could take. There's "not being too much like the OT", and then there's... that. Watching the Mortis and Yoda arcs felt more like I was watching cutscenes from a fantasy action RPG. And I just really dislike the idea of there being "Force entities".

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    There should have been Jedi survivors in the ST.
    Some progression on that score would have been appreciated.

5. Nothing wrong with having a Star Wars multiverse is better than having one canon

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2021
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    They should RETCON the Jedi massacre scene to show Grogu escaping

7. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I’m sad that the star wars things were getting is Boba Fett I really am tired of all these bounty hunters and pilots I want force users back in a big way. That’s the stories I want to see, I really hope we get news about what Taikas next movie is. I love patty Jenkins I love Disney I even liked most of the ST I know they could do amazing films :( I’m just feeling really sad and want something to look forward too from my fave stories.

FlashDriver likes this.
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The Jedi Purge is almost like the Daleks in the Doctor Who revival show. Every time you think they're gone, another one pops up. :p

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    A lot of people say that their headcanon is 1-6. Personally, I'd rather watch 4-9. Just not a fan of the PT.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm not really a ST fan but I can still tolerate it and accept I-IX when I'm thinking about the saga. R1 and Solo, however, I treat more like the EU novels I used to read. Even if there's some worth there it doesn't quite feel like the "real thing" to me.

Watcherwithin and CampOfSorgan like this.
  11. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The sequels still had original actors, however misused. What was the point of Rogue One and especially Solo?

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, the whole thing about explaining the Death Star's weakness in Rogue One is like the flimsiest excuse I can think of to make a Star Wars film.

Sith Lord 2015 and Alexrd like this.
  13. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Not enough for my liking

14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    People should just accept and enjoy every movie in the Saga as an experience in story telling.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And if they don't do it willingly, somebody should make them. :anakin:

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Have them watch the movie in the blast zone of a MOAB dropped by your C-130?

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I must enjoy these movies, It is too late for me son.:vader:

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I will make them enjoy them.

19. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Out of all the deaths in the sequel trilogy, the one that honestly made me the most mad was Snap Wexley's. Because in my opinion it was very, very disrespectful to fans of the new Expanded Universe who have been following the character's story since he was a kid and it made Wedge's cameo a few moments later feel incredibly hollow to me since the film was not going to acknowledge that his step-son just died.

20. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I absolutely hate when SW brings back characters that were dead! Not 1 character brought back from the dead has been better for it imo. Want more Maul, Boba Fett, Palpatine etc ? Just make films/shows when they WERE alive :mad:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't know, I'm enjoying Boba Fett being back. Maul being back never bothered me, and I kind of like what they do with his character in TCW and Rebels.

Palpatine though is a bit different, IMO. Narratively and thematically his ROTJ death should've been final.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Brining back Palpatine was absolutely the right call if they were gonna end the Skywalker Saga.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  23. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I didn't like Maul coming back, but it wasn't that big a deal, since he's more of a filler character that doesn't really affect anything.

Palpatine though... no. Bringing him back was possibly the worst thing they did, IMO. Wasn't necessary at all, wasn't even done well, and the reason given for it are shallow excuses compared to the damage it's done.

Much preferred RotJ's more happy and open-ended ending that had Palps dead and the Skywalker bloodline actually still be... a thing.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Then at that point don't make Post Endor stories at all as far as i'm concerned.

25. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Don't really see the logic there, but OK.

Riv_Shiel likes this.