main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Because once you beat Palpatine you can only go downhill from there no other villain is that interesting.

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Again, don't see the logic there. There is no way Palpatine is the only threat that would be worth having ever. That's being way too dismissive and conclusive.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Eh I tend not to be that open minded when it comes to Star Wars doing new things, I've always Star Wars as a more limiting series then what people say

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  4. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I mean, it's not new. SW has always had other villains besides Palpatine. He wasn't even the first one introduced.

But whatever. Unpopular opinions, that's what this thread is for.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    May I remind people that this thread is merely for expressing "unpopular opinions" and while the recent discussion demonstrates that the comment at issue was indeed unpopular lets get this thread back on the rails.

6. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    How was that going ''off the rails''? This thread is for unpopular opinions, but I thought it allowed for discussion and disagreement about unpopular opinions too. And that one was pretty brief.

Bee Bee and Alexrd like this.
  7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    on a similar vein to what @Jid123Sheeve was saying, or what I think he was saying is that in lore, I believe that Sidious was supposed to be the greatest of Sith lords, which if true does kind of stunt new threats to be excited at.

Which leads me to my unpopular opinion, I find Palpatine's line 'POWER UNLIMITED POWER' to be unintentionally hilarious and frustrating at the same time.
    So, what...is that it? unlimited power is shooting electric bolts from your fingertips with a voltage so weak it takes minutes to kill somebody? If that is unlimted power then I'd take my chances being a spice smuggler. It doesn't help we saw Dooku use it so effortlessly in the previous movie, it makes Palpatine's use of it look like a magician who thinks he's all that showing us a card trick not realizing everyone knows how it is done already, but continues anyway.

Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Pretty much, heck even my favorites like Thrawn still never truly capture that ultimate end boss the same way Palpatine does.

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Actually, no. Unlimited power is having the Chosen One on your side. He just won him over, essentially subverting the prophecy. That's what he's so happy about.

Dandelo likes this.
  10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    does he know about the prophecy for sure though? I mean he must do I suppose. The Jedi aren't exactly quiet about such things, but still I wonder how much he actually knows.
    I suppose it muddies the waters with the whole Plagueis stuff thrown in too.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I thought Palpatine was basically exclaiming that the dark side in general gives you unlimited power, not that shooting lightning from your fingertips specifically represents the apex of this power.

12. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Carl Weathers, Gina Carano, and Katee Sackoff are really bad in Mandalorian.

-NaTaLie-, Count Yubnub and Sarge like this.
  13. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    The ST Subforum is the most uninteresting boring forum of JCF because there is the same conversation over and over and over and over and over and over by same like 10 users.

jaimestarr and Sarge like this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    There is also the possibility that the Sith actually did influence the midi-chlorians to create life; to create the ultimate Sith Lord - and that Anakin was the result.

That's a good point. It might also be that in the sense that he just managed to win over the most talented Jedi in the order; their star pupil, so to speak. Like he's saying "See how powerful the dark side is? I can get anyone to join me, even your precious 'Chosen One'. There's no limit to what we Sith can accomplish!"

Count Yubnub likes this.
  15. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I see Palpatine's line about unlimited power to mean; now that his plan has come to fruition, he's the ultimate, unstoppable Sith ruler of the first Galactic Empire. Free to reign in terror without the Jedi obstacle in his way and to continue growing, unfettered, in the full scope of knowledge of the dark side and to soon reach the point of literally having unlimited Sith power.

Now that he's gotten Anakin to turn on Mace, the rest of the dominoes will fall as he desires. Up to now, everything has transpired as he planned. He's feeling like he's the ****. He's saying it as though unlimited power is so tangibly within his reach now that he can taste it. Like he's saying hello to it, and gloating about it to the leader of the Jedi's face who fell for his trap.

Also, it seems to me he purposefully spends a few minutes shocking his victims with his Sith lightning to prolong the torture and to revel in the sadism of it - to savor it.

And yes, it's a bit campy and also hilarious. But coming at such a dark time in the story, it's to soften up the horror of it all.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    True words! I'm on board with that take, one hundred percent. It's actually the feeling I got when I first saw that scene, but I'd somehow forgotten.
    Thanks for the reminder! [:D]

I've personally always seen that line as the peak of theatricality in Star Wars. I can see the humor in it, but it's primarily just a great dramatic moment to me. Iconic from day one!

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  17. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    His unlimited power mean exactly that. He can generate enough voltage so that he no longer have to rely on Coruscant Gas and Electric to power all his appliances. [face_laugh]

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's correct. It's not about lightning or the chosen one. He simply won.

Count Yubnub and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I liked all of them much more than the Mandalorian himself.

20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It makes perfect sense that the Holdo maneuver isn't used most of the time.

BlueYogurt, Sarge and Huncrweo like this.
  21. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Does it annoy anyone else how many desert planets have been introduced lately? Not just Tattooine, we apparently also need Jakku, Jedhah, Savareen, Pasaana, Arvala-7. Or is the desert milieu a key part of the style of SW?

(I feel like I'm gonna get my fill of desert from the Dune movies anyways)

22. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    The advantage of a desert setting is while deserts exist on Earth as well, there are also lots of them on other planets such as Mars. You have to put a lot more effort, and probably money, into creating non-boring and exotic looking non-desert environments. Often it just looks ridiculously like Earth and too "mundane", see Endor, Takodana, that forest on Starkiller Base or even Luke's island. OK, I admit the Lake Country on Naboo isn't overly exotic-looking, but the way it's photographed and the right time of day plus cloud covers somehow make it work for me.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    It does make sense that the Holdo maneuver would be something most factions simply wouldn't even consider attempting.

Except for the CIS. Honestly its kinda surprising that Kamikaze style tactics weren't a common occurrence for them.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    A fair point. Although, Finn did say in TROS that it's a one-in-a-million shot. I can hear a Separatist tactical droid go "The odds against such an attack being successful are approximately 997 384 to 1" and deeming it a pointless waste of resources.
    In one episode of TCW, Dooku reprimanded Grievous for taking out his anger on their expensive battle droids, so he'd probably agree that trying to lightspeed ram the enemy would a bad idea.

25. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Unpopular Star Wars opinion? I think more military leaders should have pink hair, and wear full length ball gowns.

PCCViking and Count Yubnub like this.