main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Allana Djo Solo and Elora Danan, paralells between Willow and late Legends

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Jan 15, 2021.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Allana Djo Solo had experienced much already in her young life. And not even her future was safe as prophecy, hopes and fears dominated any glance at it as the present fought for the future instead of resolving its own issues.

Likewise, Baby Elora Danan, also a redheaded Princess, was the focus of an adventure and a war and ended a tyrannic queen as a group of heroes and wizards united. All that because of a prophecy that could still come to pass in her future despite already having defeated one evil queen.

https://willowufgood.fandom.com/wiki/Elora_Danan

Both young ladies have a lot in common, aside the redheaded warrior princess trope. Both's fate tied to the same prophecy that they would unite everyone in peace and balance and a new golden age after many wars with common folk trapped between good and evil wizards.

Might Allana's future look/have looked like that of Elora Danan in the book sequels to Willow?

No matter yet what the upcoming D+ Willow Sequel series will bring or when it will be set, if adhering to or adapting the books at all. But I think there are too many paralells between both prophecies that it can be coincidence. Maybe the authors got inspired?

In Allana's youth some Jedi already found flowwalking, otherworldly realms like Mortis and Kemp clones were waiting to spill into a new storyline. In Elora's teenager time, exactly this happened. Evil twins/clones, otherworldly realms and a battle for all realms, etc.

If Allana, like Elora, would have to face an evil twin/clone of herself, that'd explain how different versions of Jacen Solo could come to pass at the same time. It'd also rhyme with Allana overcoming her shadowself like Yoda had to in his TCW arc, which would tie back nicely to the Mortis and Force realms.

In general this would make an epic, different and unique story in between FOTJ and Legacy comics and resolve several plothooks from the earlier books and explain their absence in the later comics.

Amon_Amarth and MercenaryAce like this.
  2. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    In light of the upcoming Willow D+ series, with its recent cast reveal, does anybody think the show may be inspired by the books or its own thing entirely? Will it rather follow a different abandoned Sequel idea of Lucas before he did the books with Chris Claremont? Could any of the cast be an older Elora?

And to tie back to SW, might some SW storytelling cues end up in the Willow world, much like SW and Indiana Jones have nods and references to each other?

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    To my eyes Ellie Bamber was born to play "adult Elora Danan," although Wikipedia claims she is playing "Dove, a kitchen maid." A false identity for the princess, perhaps? Or maybe Elora is played by someone else... or perhaps won't be in the series at all. [face_thinking]

4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    indeed, false identity is my guess.

5. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    You know, all things considered I wonder how much of Willow and Elora Danan's story is derived from Lucas's early ideas about Luke's sister/the female Chosen One concept that existed before the first trilogy was wrapped up by ROTJ. Does Elora Danan ultimately derive from Nellith Skywalker?

6. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I'm very intrigued by this. I didn't know Lucas contributed to sequel books for this movie. Indeed, I've never even seen this movie, but I've always been curious to see some of Lucas's other works. With respect to this, it makes me wonder if he'd ever do something similar for his ideas for the sequel trilogy. That's unlikely with Disney now owning the franchise. But I am curious about how these books could echo some of the things he was interested in exploring.

Golbolco likes this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've heard a few people say that the Willow Sequel Books seem similar to what Lucas ST may have been like if anyone wants a idea.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    It does make me wonder, if maybe the writers at Del Rey did want Allana's story to go somewhere. Given how much emphasis was placed on her political and cosmic destiny(and indeed her status as a chosen one of sorts) I wonder if they did look to this for inspiration or were drawing on some plans of Lucas yet unveiled.

9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Time to bring this up again in light of recent Willow trailer from Celebration and further debate of, if and how this road not taken could have turned out in Legends.

Indeed a good catch there! A prophecy about her live that seems to be fulfilled already while she still is an infant? Seems to mirror how Nellith is not present in the OT and only saved for a ST, while it seems the OT resolved the big bad already.

Also, NELLITH, an interesting name etymology wise. What does it mean and what does its meaning reveal about her story or character?

First, Nellith sounds like Lillith, a biblical character, first female and wife of Adam before Eve that got cast out for being too strong and not subservient enough to man, which in return kinda demonized her as an evil character in most interpretations, a temptress and villainess. While underlying or actually at the core is a rather feminist and female freedom and empowerment thought a patriarchy could not stomach at the time. Sounds perfect for a modern strong female lead character to me! Lillith also seems to be associated with witchcraft and witches and other such demonized ancient female empowerment groups. If that translates to SW, one could even have her as a Force Witch, a Nightsister, a follower of Mother/Maiden/Crone matriarchic lore akin to that of Dathomir perhaps. If the trend of the 70s/80s to use strong female redheads would still stick, one might even see some of those tropes in her. The misconception of Lillith as a mother of evil spirits and evil in the world may come into storyplay too, if she is tied to some villains stories.
    Rey's Disney ST story in fact comes to my mind as some strong female lead that has ties to past characters, is connected to evil, but not evil herself and frees and redeems her name and the galaxy by STs end. So in Rey's story may lie a lot of Nellith's own perhaps too. What if a Nellith is/was part of a Dyad?

The other part of her name, Nell, Nellie or Nellie, alternates of Helen or Eleanor have interesting meaning too:
    Helen: torch, moon, or the beautiful daughter/princess who was kidnapped and the reason of the Trojan war
    Eleanor: name of a strong queen of the past

So this part of her name reinforces the aspects of the Lillith name of a strong female leader and associated with the moon (witchcraft too maybe?) and being a torch to ignite the spark to unite the galaxy?

Now Willow's Elora means:
    Elora is a girl's name of Greek origin. This bright and sprightly name is translated from Greek as “sun ray” and also has roots in Hebrew, where it means “my God is my light”. Other sites translated the name as "Light" or "bright".

Sounds like Elora is like Rey in name meaning. And Elora is etymologically also tied as an alternate form of Elenora connected to Helen and Eleanor as above for Nellith!

Golbolco likes this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I honestly think your reaching here. I don’t think the writers at Lucasfilm and Del Rey put that much thought into Allana or her story.

11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well, if you know me you'd know that "reaching" is what I excell at... and even if the creatives did not think about her that much ahead, the paralells are still there intentional or not and do tell at least of an underlying, maybe subconscious theme that popped up in various stories and media of its time.

12. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Reactivating this one in light of todays WILLOW tv show premiere!

Well, I loved the shows start and certainly they did very well!
    The characters are superb, the fun, the music, the worldbuilding, everything fits so far. I still hope for a Mad Martigan cameo down the line somehow despite the difficulties, but hey, Top Gun did it, so Willow can too! Besides THE "reveal" was obvious who Elora is gonna be in the show, but still loving how they do it. The paralells to the SW Sequel Trilogy are fun as well when they mock it, and especially have Warwick kinda mock-paralell Luke and his time with Rey. The Magic speach is 1:1 about the Force, and I am going to call it now and screenshot it so if it comes true I can go all told ya so: WILLOW tv show will officially bring Willow into the Star Wars universe, just wait for it! I do not know if it will be big or small in how they reveal it late, but it will happen! No longer an April Fools Joke but for real! I see too many paralells and how worldbuilding is kinda working towards going beyond the world of Willow, even if the planet may stay remote or unvisited by the GFFAs chaotic politics.

That said, I still believe this show is gonna make good use of the Claremont novels, even if deviating from them. But WillowOneCanon and Multiverse can survive that, given the books had already a paralell universe and Elora as well as the WEG Willow Rpg having had different futures for the characters than in the Claremont books, giving us a good 3 timelines total for now (Rpg, Books, TV show) continuing the movie that we can throw together cleverly. Yes I am gonna die on that hill!

13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Come on this topic is no "Me party"!

Could Willow be, instead of just a world inside the GFFA, the far future of a planet we know well? What if Willow is the future of Earth AFTER THX and Alien Exodus saved Earth via detour through GFFA history?

Willow tv shows hints are making me curious about that:
    -it seems to be a post apocalyptic fantasy world that has rediscovered magic after big modern-ish cities turned to dust and ash
    -a world littered with real world hints and names like Fibonacci etc. that may have survived the apocalypse somehow, like some tech unbefitting a fantasy world

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    strokes chin

So you want me to accept Allana is in Willow?

15. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Andowyne has two moons its not a future earth. lets keep it in the twilight wars were we have it :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Doesn't fit there for me. And two moons? Well Earth has too, but too tiny to be visible which lead many to dismiss it despit scientists hard facts. That aside though, Earth can catch another moon any time. Such a cataclysmic event could change it into Andowyne!

17. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    [​IMG]

18. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    it still fits in the twilight wars for me but thats fine if it doesn't for you I still don't see it being a future earth thou but we can entertain it . though I agree the willow D+ might just bring it officality into Star Wars

19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Todays episode of Willow mentioned
    something from the GFFA
    !!!

Coronet

Not as the city on Corellia but as the name for a level in a dungeon. Still more and more SW references snuck in... one can wonder!

I pray one day Disney is resurrecting ALIEN EXODUS and elevate a certain planet back to the center of humanity in the GFFA!

JediFett10 likes this.
  20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    so WILLOW is cancelled by Disney after only 1 Season, story open ended... that §/&"/(%$/"&)(%/&$§$%&/%& and Warwick must be furious about it I bet... I really loved that show.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I head it was awful by most critical and popular reviews, that it really bombed.

Has happened to show I've liked before too, but it's understandable.

22. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
  23. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    For anyone that can’t see the tweet and want to know what it is about, Jon Kasden has clarified that the show is “put on indefinite hold in light of recent big changes within the streaming industry”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Turns out having only one legal subscription service where your TV shows can be found limits the audience you can profit off of

25. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Found this thread looking up stuff about Nellith Skywalker and older ideas for the ST. I’ve mentioned before how much the Willow series made me think of the sequels. Of Lucas’s ideas to some degree (twins, son falling to dark side), but it also reminds me of where it seemed TFA was going to go but didn’t.

I mean the Crone was visually so similar to Snoke’s TFA design (more inhuman, more twisted), and no wonder since both were designed by Ivan Manzella. But beyond the design, the simple way the villain was introduced, as the teacher of the previous villain, feels like something they may have planned for Snoke. And perhaps both series would’ve pivoted to the bigger villain: the Wyrm / dark side of the Force.

Anyway, lots of interesting characters and good performances from the young actors in the Willow series. I hope Disney puts it back on their platform this fall. I’m especially missing Ellie Bamber after seeing her briefly in Amazon’s Red, White, and Royal Blue this weekend. The Willow series was far from perfect. But it was a lot of fun, had a lot of heart, had some interesting ideas (and parallels to the ST), but I especially liked the performances by the younger actors.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023