main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    In case you're not familiar with it, that's roughly what Martin Luther King said about riots:
    Emphasize mine to highlight how QGM's rhetoric causes these riots

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Was John Brown a sympathetic figure? Was his use of violence justified? Probably not, but did his cause not deserve some sympathy?

As for using the proper means to enact change, the vast majority of BLM protesters did just that. But they were met by smears and lies from Fox News and the Trump administration, who massively exaggerated the scope of the violence, and used that as an excuse to attack the protesters. So if people aren't allowed to peacefully protest, if they're not allowed to effect political change (voter suppression, gerrymandering, Republicans trying to overturn election results) then what other avenue is there? At some point injustice breeds violence, and you're not being reasonable or realistic if you believe you can keep squeezing people and expecting that nothing ugly will happen.

I've been on the other side of this argument as well. I've often said that terrorists should give up violence and take part in the political process peacefully. But the flip side to this is that if their demands are reasonable, if they have legitimate grievances, then we need to deliver on our end.

Jedi Merkurian and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  3. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I saw that quote repeated a lot last year, yeah.

4. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I read a bit on Josh Brown. He did get involved with murder and it’s hard to condone that. But, was his heart in the right place? Yeah, it appeared to be. It’s just that, you can’t use violence and mayhem to get your message across. You lose people. If they were sympathetic to your cause it becomes a big turn off once the nonsense starts.

I didn’t see anywhere where people weren’t allowed to protest peacefully. That’s legal and their right to do so. The police and officials have a right to ensure the protests stay that way too in order to protect innocent people and businesses. As much as Fox might have tried to paint the protests as more violent than they were, the other news outlets painted them all as a hippie love-in festival and all mayhem was just white guys making it look bad. So, we have the usual media stalemate that gets us nowhere. Pick your news site and then run with it. As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle . That means that the protests weren’t as bad as Fox said but they weren’t as peaceful as CNN or MSNBC said.

I don’t disagree with you her, at least on some of this.

5. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Hence why I watched livestreams of the protests at the time. Live footage can be a far more reliable source of information.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Nothing sounds like an educated opinion like making a comment about Josh Brown as though that's the name of one of the most prominent people in the lead up to the Civil War.

Amazing what you can't see when you don't look. Or when one ignores that other things listed was the ability to effect political change, like the voter suppression that QGM supports.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The hilarity of trying to "both sides" Fox and CNN/MSNBC.
    It's the same energy as saying "Whether it's some on the right like Donald Trump, or someone on the left like Joe Biden..."

8. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Duly noted - but thats just one vantage point and cant be extrapolated to all areas or time frames unless it was over a non-stop, week-long period(or longer). Not all protests were violent or destructive. But it clear it was happening at various points, times and places.

9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Very little of the protests - which, as a reminder, was against the ongoing problems with systemic racism among police - were actually violent. But the media - even hard-core leftist propaganda networks like MSNBC - find peaceful protests to be boring and not particularly newsworthy.
    That you're resorting to the old "I guess there's no way to know the truth!" dodge makes it clear that you do, in fact, know the truth - you just don't want to admit it.

10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    mnjedi, Jedi Merkurian , Rew and 8 others like this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Because yes the place to go you are really for peaceful protests and say you are supportive of BLM is Tucker Carlson.

12. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    You clearly didn't actually look.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well Trumperkid has predictably made his way to.....Florida

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Florida is Rick's for nuts

blackmyron likes this.
  15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Black people kneeled quietly, marched peacefully, sang songs on national TV, and the like, in order to call attention to the racial disparities in our criminal justice system. For this, they were called everything but a child of God. George Floyd was killed, people lost their [poop] for three days, and on the fourth day Derek Chauvin was in jail and ultimately convicted of murder.

I'm not a fan of violence, but...I mean...

16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Are these things getting cheaper? I hope not.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh the government had to settle with the families of stoneman Douglas for 127 million. I don’t know what the breakdown there is per family or person. It won’t bring their kids back but it’s at least something

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Former gun industry insider explains why he left to fight for the other side.

Whether he realizes it or not, he’s discussing the more toxic aspects of consumerism run amok:

19. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes, marketing like this can be seen in a wide range of products. It’s not a good play and with guns it’s especially bad. Owning a gun has nothing to do with masculinity or patriotism, really. It’s just a tool to hopefully be used for the right reasons. That being said, you can’t blame gun companies for this anymore than you can blame video game makers for kids acting out and they’ve been chasing that ghost forever now. Bad people tend to be bad people. Well raised, responsible people tend to stay that way too. They understand the "marketing gimmicks" and aren’t buying guns due to a manhood problem.

But I agree that guns shouldn’t be glorified in this way. Yet another reason I am not and will never be a member of the NRA.

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    "Responsible people are responsible" [face_laugh]
    Thanks for contributing nothing to the discussion as always, Mike.
    Next up from QGM:"Someone should do something about the problems!"

21. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Every once in a while, I actually read some of your stuff. And, as usual its "interesting". You've taken a 4 word phrase I used out of context to get in your "jab". I hope it makes you feel better. Have a terrific day. And yes! Do sumitn' 'bout the problims'! :D

@Jedi Merkurian - Nothing wrong with any instances of what you described. Nor did anyone say there was.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Bringing up blaming video games, something entirely disconnected from this, is profoundly dumb. Even from a stance of not blaming gun manufacturers, that's at least a discussion about gun manufacturers and how their product is used whereas video games keep getting brought up in unrelated contexts. Blaming car manufacturers for what car owners do is at least analogous because cars and guns are being used.

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Etc.
    As I've said before, your participation or response isn't necessary. We all get you want a captive audience for your blathering, where you carefully cultivate whom you converse with, with the obvious exceptions of the people that you can't put on ignore, despite your transparent desperation to do so. But I also know that, like any troll, you can't help but peek in on occasion to see the responses of the people you think you're "owning".
    But you're getting the same treatment that anyone posting unsupported nonsense gets. And frankly, not having you respond makes it all that much easier to show that.
    Oh, and smiley face, and so forth.

24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    All y’all who predicted Rittenhouse would be a GOP celeb, you were correct:

I think Trump wants to adopt him and replace Don Jr [face_laugh]

25. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Donnie. He just won’t go away. If I was Rittenhouse I’d stay away from him. Kyle should just lay low and disappear for a while.