main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies - The Tabletop RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It is :p

... but I abused it first as the player of a ruthless necromancer, so when came my turn to DM, the rest of the table knew I was liable to do that... :(

blackmyron likes this.
  2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Thinking of DMing a Star Wars RPG game.

I have Foundry if anyone's interested, though this is currently the "germ" of an idea here.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I played and ran a lot of SW RPG back in the day. WEG d6 was my favorite system, much simpler than d20, and easy to make a judgement call and roll some dice in oddball situations (which my players loved to throw themselves into).

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I highly recommend the comic Knights of the Dinner Table, which began back in 1990 and is still going to this day.

[​IMG]

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Can still survive, yeah. In practice, it’s more difficult. It’s a DC 10 saving throw. It’s not a stat-based or proficiency-based save, so no bonuses; just a flat roll of 10 or better. Three successes before 3 failures, and a Nat 1 is two failures, which that right there can be a killer. (BTW, Nat 20 means you wake up with 1 hit point). The only things that can mitigate that roll are either a bless (or blight [face_skull]) spell (which gives +/- 1d4 on all saves), or being inside a paladin’s Aura of Protection (which gives all friendlies the pally’s Charisma mod as a save bonus, one of many reasons why pallies are my current favorite class). I also think there’s a higher level aura spell which grants advantage (best outta 2 rolls) on death saves.

blackmyron and 3sm1r like this.
  6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Jedi Merkurian
    But in 3 rounds your party friends will often have time to save you while you are rolling death saves. I was watching Critical Role and I think that this is what happened, twice in a single combat.
    A player got unconcious and failed 1 death save, but then another player used their turn to heal them.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "Don't worry, profusely bleeding teammate, basking in my divine radiance will help you not succumb to your wounds."
    "Couldn't you just... use your magic healing hands? I can't feel my spleen. I think that orc has it."
    "God helps those who help themselves."
    "Your god gives hints to people who donate at least 5 GP at the temple! And gave you healing powers! Use your magic!"
    "COURAGE, MAN! COURAGE!"

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    In the earliest of dsys, zero hit points meant death. You could start with one hit point.
    Also, if you were poisoned, most poisons meant death if you didn't pass a "save" - which was 25-30% chance at low levels.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    In theory. In practice, I’ve seen characters die (or survive by the skin of their teeth) because no one could get to them in time.

Lordban and 3sm1r like this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    For the experienced DMs, how easy is it to die in your campaigns ?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Most times it comes down to stupidity or really bad luck, but it happens.

Also, Spare The Dying is a good spell.

Jedi Merkurian , blackmyron and 3sm1r like this.
  12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I tend to be more forgiving in campaigns. At the least, make it an epic death.
    It depends on the system, too. Games like Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia and Alien are expected to be more lethal.

Sarge and 3sm1r like this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    One-offs were by the book, campaigns I was usually willing to extend a life line unless it was the end in which case… well…

Actually, nostalgia time, one campaign ended because I was moving, so myself and the other rotating GM cooked up this massive plot line where his character turned evil and tried to destroy the world as a sacrifice to his evil god (which seemed like an epic level blackguard-y thing to do at the time). Almost everyone died stopping him, most of the kingdoms we had interacted with were totally destroyed, and then the, like, two surviving party members shocked the rest of us by deciding to activate the obligatory doomsday device. So later on they apparently set a campaign on the ruined world millennia in the future. High school campaigns were wild. :p

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Terminology to be aware of - the dreaded TPK, or "Total Party Kill".

Jedi Merkurian and 3sm1r like this.
  15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I almost had one of those as a player in a one-shot. It was at a Halloween party with my tabletop club, so a spooky-themed one-shot that the DM was improvising from nothing but a sketch of a town map. One party member died halfway through to a bunch of skeletons, while the other three of us made it through a banshee to the final battle with a death knight. One died quickly, and the other two (including mine) were down and making death saves at the same time. The other guy hit a nat 1 and died, while I managed to make three successes. The DM let me get up with 1 HP, and I managed to kill the death knight with one final heroic attack, restoring the town to normal and resurrecting the other three. To be fair, we were only 10th level, but the DM weakened the death knight by taking away its hellfire orb and a couple of the more powerful spells on its list.

blackmyron likes this.
  16. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Honestly, I've only gotten into tabletop RPGs recently so I don't have much of a "reference" for these things and can't form my own opinions on which one is better.

That said: I have high hopes for the upcoming Star Wars RPG edition that's coming up later.

Whenever that will be. Hopefully soon.

I honestly have no interest in playing "old" TTRPGs.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Found myself in two tabletop RPG groups.

I mean, I was excited at first, but that means I have to coordinate my time with two of them.

[face_plain]

Lordban and Sarge like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    First world problems, dude. :p

20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    When I ran a table who were here for munchkinism, it was very easy to die. With RP-oriented tables, I tended to fudge around lethal dice rolls and to have a few reasons for NPCs to be merciful, but dumb actions still meant death.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I wouldn't hold your breath on the new Star Wars RPG coming out any time soon.
    What do you consider an 'old' RPG?

InterestingLurker likes this.
  22. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Honestly? TTRPGs from the 20th century or even 2000s decade.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    We now live in the days of the Sarge Meme Machine ^^

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. InterestingLurker