main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Can someone please tell them that the vast majority of people don't live in the US, and couldn't care less about the pathetic infighting between two ineffective right wing parties?

Rew, Yodaminch, FatBurt and 7 others like this.
  2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The insurrectionist spawn loves his kinds of riots.

Donald Trump Jr. praises European 'riots' over COVID-19 restrictions and claims Americans sit back 'like sheep' [on Fox News]

FOX News...which just had its weekend hosts saying that new forms of the virus are 'made up' has a vaccine or test requirement. Whose owner Rupert Murdoch was among the first people vaccinated outside of the trials in December 2020.

And it's because of these stupid anti-vaccine and anti-mask idiots that their ally the virus is hanging around far more than it should while attacking the admin for COVID19 still existing. It's not freedom they're offering, it is surrender to the virus.

3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    “We want the virus gone now but don’t want to do the very least we can do to fight virus and we want to blame the Dems for the virus continuing to exist even though it’s us, the anti-mask, anti-vaxxer’s that are keeping the virus alive the most” is one hell of an argument, and one that seems to actually be working. Unreal.

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Deliberately letting it spread and deliberately causing mass deaths certainly seems to best way to deal with a virus. It's odd, though; I'm old enough to remember Republicans feigning anger when terrorists killed 3,000 people by flying planes into buildings, and Republicans wanting to get into trillion-dollar wars over that. Now they're going out of their way to show they're far better at killing Americans than foreigners are.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You're about to enter the month for the attitude of:

"If people are going to die of Covid, then better that they do it and decrease the surplus population."

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid I totally know feel you especially as my brother and sister in law will be in town the week before Christmas and they are still not vaccinated. They gone from a solid no to "eventually" as right now the excuse is they have no time especially with the holidays. I texted my sister in law that if they all get this weekend they can get the second dose up here as they are not going to stop anyone the morning they go back as their is a pharmacy within walking distance of our house and therefore can sleep it off along with the jet leg. Nope. They will just do it when they go home and then say they are too busy. And naturally they are coming from Florida. Unreal.

@jcgoble3 Regrettably there isn't anything like that for the common cold let alone something like this. Like Dr. Fauci said, the only disease we been able to completely eliminate off the planet is smallpox. Everything else we just been either to vaccinate enough and/or built up enough immunity they are no longer a danger. That is how COVID-19 will be as eventually vaccines + antivirals + natural immunity will make it become different versions of the common cold but will never get to the point it will be basically eliminated. Even Dr. Fauci said we do need get to the point we live with.

I do believe technology especially CPISR long term will make it something that is just annoying at least for most people (there will be nuts that still won't die from it due to having an unholy war against modern science). But we are not there yet and I think we're in for another bad winter yet again and really won't be to spring until we get true relief from this as antivirals hit the market plus better booster shots that are more flexible against emerging variants. And what is most frustrating is that much of this can been avoided. But regrettably millions and millions of people live in a fantasy world where their life is one long conspiracy to give it meaning even though the world's best game theorists have studied Q and all other crazy conspiracy groups with their conclusion all being one thing, "yeah that is a game I would design complete with easter eggs to keep players engaged enough to think they will get to the ending that does not exist as it's a game without any meaning other to simply exist". But that is a topic for a different day and thread.

@DarkGingerJedi Congratulations, happy to hear everyone is doing well and that story is one for the newspapers! Maybe Whole Foods will read about it and give you a gift card so an order of groceries just costs an arm and not an arm and a leg! But in all seriousness, congratulations again and that is a story that will live in your family forever. Have no idea what that is like since we had twins right out of the gate therefore it was a schedule c-section both times. And best of luck playing man defense (having two kids) as it can be really challenging....but so so so rewarding. Next thing you know you will be playing zone defense (three kids lol!

And both my wife & I grew up going Black Friday shopping so it's a family tradition for us. We know how to avoid the crowds as my wife honestly as a black belt in Black Friday Shopping. First and only person I know who laminates her Christmas shopping list for Black Friday. And honestly is much more tame then she was ten years ago. The boys when they were very little use to stay at my parents so I could pick up and drop off service in the middle of the night. It be 5 am and I go pick my wife and her sister at one group of stores & take them to the next group....with Diet Cokes and French Fries from McDonald's in tow. Luckily for my sanity Kid #3 plus midnight shopping no longer being a thing as ended that. Now she just goes with my daughter in the morning along with my mother in law and then we meet up with them for a bit of shopping and lunch. It is a much more pleasant experience lol!

@Runjedirun Ironically my wife thought the stores were even easier to navigate then last year. Never had to wait in line. Maybe the most crowded store was Best Buy and she didn't even go there as myself and the boys went in the late morning before we meet up with them. And that wasn't bad at all as I been there on a random Saturday where it was much more crowded. The mall was apparently packed in the later afternoon but it was that way last year. People just enjoy it for whatever reason which I admit is us too as it's a holiday tradition. It should be noted that shopping long as you are mask up is a pretty low risk activity. It's going to be everything else this holiday season people will be making up for (parties, eating out, traveling etc) that will help numbers to spike up more just as waning immunity goes up more plus new variants. And my wife wonders why I stock up on toilet paper and other supplies this past summer just in case LOL!

@Lowbacca_1977 The WHO said their biggest worry so far is those who were previously infected as they think this could lead to easier re-infection so just like our resident doc said, the poorer countries could very well take the bulk of the suffering with this. Will just have to see how it all plays out.

@LAJ_FETT While on the surface that isn't good, it might not all be bad. If they are all the new variant, it could be that it's been swirling around longer then previously believed and isn't as contagious as the first data showed plus all the passengers on the flight were healthy enough to travel therefore these could be all cases that have little to no symptoms. So far the early cases have been not only been mainly in unvaccinated people but also mild symptoms though a bit "unusual" according to the South Africa Health Minister. Again will have to see how it plays out but and adjust accordingly.

@anakinfansince1983 It's like other countries don't exist even though many are bringing back harder covid measures. I believe France just reinstated masks at all outdoor public events. But their viewpoint doesn't leave their MAGA conspiracy theory world.

@TCF-1138 Maybe the emphasis shouldn't be the two parties but antivax conspiracy theory politicians are not in the US, far from it. I heard a German far right politician could do on a tirade of insanity about covid that even most Republicans wouldn't touch. Well some would but a lot wouldn't.

@MagnarTheGreat They must have run out of coke in Florida again.

@The Regular Mustache It works because convient and easy lies will always work on the weak then the hard truth. It's like with JFK. Some people want to believe in some mass conspiracy because it would make them feel safer has if the most powerful man in the western world could be killed in a flick of an eye by one lonely gunman with a bolt action rifle, then how safe are they from meeting their demise out of nowhere? Same thing goes for this. Easier to believe this is just some massive conspiracy then understanding that despite all our advances, we still are just human and perhaps more importantly public health is something everyone has to take seriously. It's not something some of us are exempt from. All of us must take part in it or it won't really work. Again for some that is too hard to deal with for a variety of reasons but topic for another day.

@Jedi Ben I even heard some of those nuts say that we need people to die via covid to help with climate change even though they don't believe in climate change. Then they wonder why everywhere they go there is "help wanted" signs all over the place. Never dawn on them that we all these people die over the 18+ months and many were from lower income jobs.

So the kids got their second dose this morning at the pediatrician office. We got there early and found a hole in the schedule therefore they got them earlier then even the appointment time. Daughter lost it a bit. She even went by the door and cried. I had to grab her and hold her arms down as my wife held her in her lap. She cried less this time afterwards and ever increasing protective older brothers insisted we stop at DD afterwards so she could have a chocolate donut with sprinkles. Not they wanted anything for themselves, just for their baby sister *snickers*. We also got seeing Santa out of the way as we did yesterday morning. One good thing about the pandemic is they got seeing Santa down to a science. Made an reservation time online, got there a few minutes early, check-in with the "elves' and was taking the picture a minute earlier then our appointment time. Whole thing maybe took ten minutes. I told my Dad and he growled in painful memories of being inline with us for eons waiting for Santa. Also got the Christmas decorations up including the lights outside and our shopping is pretty much done as we been working on it since early October. Only people left are my parents which we are getting a combined gift from my brothers family and ours while my brothers kids are either getting cash or gift cards since that is what they asked for. Kinda weird to think it's all done basically even though it's Turkey Day Weekend but also happy.

Meanwhile my dad's family is officially not having a Christmas party in person which I'm really relieved on since I have family members that still haven't gotten it! My uncle and his wife (not my aunt who passed away as she would camp out for it) says he will get the Novavax shot once it becomes available since his "preacher" says it's religiously okay. I got a bet with my Dad that once it does get approved, he will get new orders from his insane church by they cannot get the Novavax shot since "something something mark of the devil something something". I get it's his brother and he is the oldest which he takes very seriously therefore he wants to believe in the end he will do the right thing but I don't see how. Hope I'm wrong but I think he and his wife never will. And the craziest part is his daughter/my cousin is an ER nurse therefore who told him the horror stories and says she believes him but won't get the shot due to "religious reasons". Like @Rylo Ken said it's like George Schultz believing Elizabeth Holmes over his own grandchild...and reality.

So yeah another zoom party on that side, my mom's side Christmas party is still on but again will all be vaxxed (plus anyone that can get it boosted) and we all plan on taking at home tests before hand. Crazy to think it's that time of year again. Also crazy to think that for the first time in two years I will be handing out study guides to semester finals this week as we only have three weeks (15 school days) to them. My students will be fine overall as they are 99% seniors therefore they at least have some experience with finals plus the final is pretty straightforward aka the study guide is basically the final at least when it comes to the multiple choice part. The essay takes more thinking but if they learn the study guide they can write a semi decent essay response. But the younger grades especially in Math and Science? That could get really ugly. Crazy as to think that 50% of the school as never taken finals while another 25% (Juniors) have only taken them once. Going to be lots of hand holding these next few weeks. Be glad when it's over with as everyone needs a break and will see how the world is come mid-January.

And if David Letterman still was on the air, I wonder if he consider this a stupid human trick:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/covid-party-austria-italy-bolzano-man-dies-virus-green-pass-immunity-1653601?amp=1

Juliet316 and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The vaccines stopped transmission of the original wild-type and UK variants, but delta led to asymptomatic spread with the same viral loads as those without a vaccine. So yes, the vaccines originally halted the spread, but the virus quickly mutated around that feature. As it turns out, being able to prevent severe illness and the need for hospitalization is just as important as breaking the chain of transmission.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    A shame. At least it still prevents severe illness mostly.

anyway I was looking at the official number for world wide cases. Looks like we have passed 250,000,000 cases officially. So unofficially that’s what 500 million? 750,000,000?

Juliet316 and Vaderize03 like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, for **** sake

Juliet316, Luke02 and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    2 Omicron cases reported in Canada.

They’re heeeeeere……

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I give it 3 days max before it’s confirmed in the US.

If the US was fair and we aren’t we would shut down flights from all countries with confirmed cases

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, this will be sure to cause a fresh wave of panic on campus. It’s already starting.

There goes any chance of my having external revenue this summer. Two fiscal years in a row being in the red…

And I’m sure this will lead to new rounds of professors trying to work from home while we’re expected in every day… :rolleyes:

And just to recap: fully vaccinated campus, guests prohibited except for special circumstances, everyone must be masked, and most of us have now had our booster on campus. Not to mention everyone needs to be tested upon returning from thanksgiving…

But watch this ruin student events because a few people who have barely been on campus for two years start to panic…[face_frustrated]

Juliet316 and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Won’t be shocked if things go the way I think they are we will be back to online by next semester.

Juliet316 and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't expect much to change at all. I think everything will remain open and more people will get sick.

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    While I'm glad that Moderna will be trying to update their vaccines to accommodate this variant, I'm very concerned about Omicron.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Perhaps it’s that I hope we are online next semester.

I think the problem is we didn’t make it basically impossible to live without the vaccine. What we should have done is make it so you could technically not get the vaccine, but to take public transport you needed to be vaccinated. To fly you needed to be vaccinated. To go to the grocery store you need to be vaccinated. To attend school you needed to be vaccinated. Go to work in person you needed to be vaccinated. In this scenario the only person who doesn’t need to get vaccinated are the unemployed who got their food exclusively from delivery apps or farmers. I guess self employed people who only ever walked everywhere would also get out under this system.

We just needed to make life and everyday things super annoying if you weren’t vaccinated.

17. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Unfortunately, the reality is just like we never properly shut down, we will never do proper vaccine checks. Aside from a few select cities. I 100% wish those things would happen, but the realist in me says we just gotta get vaxxed and boostered and hope.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea a failed launch on both ends.

I worry that what that German government official said will come true. Soon enough there will come a day when you are either vaccinated or you are dead

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh big time! That’s exactly what’s going to happen.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  22. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Cant wait for Florida to ignore omegamons existence and literally bury their heads in the sand.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They would rather kill their own residents than lose a dollar.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just got back from Florida, state motto “**** it and **** you too”. It’s somehow worse than it was two years ago last time I was there.

And not a mask in sight anywhere. I’m glad I got my booster.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s gonna be such a relief to get my booster next week

Juliet316 likes this.