main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Hawkeye, Introducing Kate Bishop and Pizza Dog

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Apr 19, 2021.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m rewatching episode 2, and I really, really hope they give Dalton just the most Basil Rathbone/Errol Flynn/Tyrone Power-esque playful swashbuckling dialogue they can, and in the middle of a duel scene.

Dalton’s biting into his dialogue with relish and a hidden smirk, and if there’s one comic character who should still be a mouthy and sassy opponent on a level even beyond the usual MCU level, it’s the Swordsman.

Jedi Merkurian , Master_Lok and Sarge like this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also really enjoying the NYC location filming. Really helps sell the sense of place and actually gives us a taste of what we got out of the Defenders shows (even more appropriate if the connect-the-dots on certain characters and locales adds up to something here or down the road in the MCU). Can also appreciate the details down to the style of advertising (ie: the video billboards saying something is "brought to you by Rogers the Musical", etc).

I was thinking more about this- while the collapsibility is seemingly a retcon function, it can still be the same sword. You'll note that they bring it out fully extended (and with the sheath), so it's seemingly treated like a reverse lightsaber- default to deployed blade, not hilt-retracted.

Which, if that is the case (at least in how it is used, if not mechanically), could allow Barton to have kept the sword extended in a scabbard throughout Endgame and regulate the retractibility to a then-unused backup feature for portability, stealth and ease of escape.

EDIT- Was watching Preview'd's react to the second episode and Kate mentions a destination to her cab driver of "4th and B" which the guys comment as being where the real bar (Vazac's) is that was used as Luke Cage's first bar.

I looked it up and Vazac's, though, is listed as 7th & B. So, they were a little off, but not by much. Now, it's more likely that Marvel is just using references to places they've previously shot at for the Defenders shows, but, with the Fisk hotel and now this, it's hard to not maybe think that there's a pattern forming...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Master_Lok likes this.
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, if you put it that way…
    the now collapsible katana does work.=D=;)

I’m enjoying some of the NYC (i.e. Manhattan locations) too. I recognized several exteriors including the wrought iron gates entrance on Park Avenue in the 50s (right behind St Patrick’s cathedral) that are used as the exterior for the space where the auction takes place.

:)

@godisawesome Agreed about Dalton’s Jack. He’s a lot of fun, and that style dialogue will hopefully be a thing.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    3rd episode was amazing!!! :D

It's so exciting to learn more about
    Maya
    and to see more inclusion of
    disability

The action scenes were spectacular.
    PYM particles
    arrow!!! [face_rofl]

Gonna have to watch this one again because it is sooooooooooo good. =D=

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That was great!
    The Pym arrow. [face_laugh] Maya’s introduction was sufficiently heartbreaking to make you understand why she’s going after Ronin. The chase was a lot of fun too with all the different arrows. The mention of Uncle and the guy at the top you don’t want to mess with. Hmmm, who could that possibly be? :p

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hawkeye episode 3, great introduction to Maya/Echo (opening scene is spectacular) and awesome Christmas themed action.

Pym particles and Plunger arrow were great. Also Clint doing the no look arrow shot and him saying that Ronin is dead because Black Widow killed them and "I was there" is really emotional. Because basically the "don't give me hope" is when "Ronin" died and Nat giving him hope was what killed Ronin.

The Uncle is probably Jack but I really really hope it's Kingpin. And played by Vincent D'Onofrio too! But I'm not sure if Kevin Fiege likes Netflix. But here's hoping!

Or Mephisto, finally!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Oh, you don't think
    KF likes his employer's primary rival?
    :p

9. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    pretty sure ...

that was kingpins arm in the dojo and VD voice

Yodaminch and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Really enjoyed it. I’m looking forward to more archery goodness too.
    A neat tweak on Echo and her connection to Ronin. A terrific introduction to Maya. Loved seeing Clint do his heroic archer thing. Was really sweet to watch Kate help Clint while he was talking to Nathaniel too.

And @The2ndQuest Perhaps it was the angle but
    this collapsible Ronin sword Jack is using, looks a lot smaller in its full extension (the hilt kind of looks different too.)

Very interesting that Jack is using the Ronin sword, of course for stealth. I think he knows Clint was Ronin…hmmm.

11. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    You mean

BTW

Jack: foe or secret allie. What's the revealing next episode ?

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep. That was definitely Kingpin. No question about it. I can’t wait for next week! :D

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've been assuming that the watch is simply the equivalent of an electronic key that lets Avengers into Avengers buildings/systems. Though we've never seen an Avenger wear one, it would kind of make sense to have something like that.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I can no longer be sure which spoiler tags are for things that already happened and which ones for things that might or will surely happen. :confused:
    So, out of an overabundance of caution I'll be not clicking spoiler tags unless it's marked as something from the first 3 episodes :p

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh damn!

Hearing it in isolation I'm like 95% sure that's Vincent D'Onofrio's voice/laugh. Also look at how well tailored that suit cuff is!

The2ndQuest and Master_Lok like this.
  16. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    For a second I thought that...

the episode was going to end with Clint and Jack recognizing each other as the cliffhanger, since Jack was a part of Clint's backstory in the comics.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    No way to really know
    what Jack's back story is in the MCU since sometimes they're different from the comics.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i like the things they are doing with Hawkeye, wondering if there will be any more of him in the MCU after this. it's funny he was probably the least loved of the original MCU Avengers but seeing him in this feels like a special treat compared to the other shows

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That flashback character intro was more compelling than it had any right to be, IMO. And that family phone call moment was really moving; it made me think of all the Christmases I couldn't go home.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Cute little Buzzfeed listicle with all the little details & Easter eggs from episode 3; needless to say, it has all the spoilers. ;)

Jedi Merkurian and Master_Lok like this.
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    It certainly would be great if D'Onofrio reprises the role (and ditto Charlie Cox as Matt/DD.)

PT, great post about the Easter Eggs.

23. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It really is the most charming thing that Disney Marvel has ever done. It's lightweight and inconsequential and loads of fun.

ThisIsTheWay and Princess_Tina like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The track suit mafia is growing on me. They're distinctive enough to stand out as henchmen, silly enough to be fun, and dangerous enough that they can't be dismissed off-hand.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Conjecture from Hollywood Reporter recap

"Rumors that Vincent D’Onofrio would be returning to the role he crushed on Netflix’s Daredevil have long circulated around Hawkeye. Although “Echoes” doesn’t give us a full look at the Kingpin, the large man standing behind Maya as a child, who places his sizable hand on her shoulder certainly suggests Fisk’s presence, as does the aura of power surrounding the moniker “Uncle,” as overseer of the Tracksuit Mafia in the present-day storyline. Additionally, the earlier iteration of the Tracksuit Mafia, led by William Lopez before he was seemingly killed by Ronin, is run out of an auto shop called Fat Man’s garage. Throughout his comic book history, Fisk is frequently referenced as “the Fat Man.” Now, I know what you might be thinking, but this isn’t another Mephisto-style leap at figuring out the big bad this time around. We should all be able to say with confidence that Wilson Fisk is definitely in play. So, what does the presence of Fisk mean for the future of Hawkeye and the recently announced spinoff series focused on Maya Lopez, Echo?

It seems Ronin’s war on crime has left a power vacuum, and a state of disorganization when it comes to NYC’s criminal empires. Fisk is obviously the man to unite them and make them stronger. As ill-equipped as the Tracksuit Mafia seems for Clint and Kate, they are likely only a small part of Fisk’s growing empire. If the Kingpin is just getting started, still referred to in codenames, what does this mean in terms of his presence in the three seasons of Daredevil on Netflix, in which he was a recognizable local celebrity and outed as a criminal? It seems likely that that version of Wilson Fisk and the rest of the Marvel Netflix characters will be recoded as Variants, with new versions of these characters, some played by the same actors, now being introduced into the central Earth of the MCU. This would allow for Kingpin’s grip on the criminal underworld to start from scratch and draw new heroes into his schemes and deceptions."

and also yah the label Fat Man's Garage did immediately key in my brain as Kingpin-centric, especially after the moment with lil' Echo just minutes before. But maybe Marvel Studios would say that Netflix adventures are variants making them like What If/Sony spider-verse level multiverse canon. Although I think they're stretching a bit, nothing here in episode 3 that implied a Kingpin-connection would automatically negate all of Daredevil's Netflix run (I mean, Fisk did go to jail at the end of S3 but he goes to jail, like, all the time and we saw in S3 he can run his damn empire while under house arrest anyway). It could be something like MCU casting JK Simmons as JJJ because he's just that good.

I would view it like Suicide Squad and The Suicide Squad loose continuity, previous thing happened, character relationships and actors are the same although they don't directly reference the previous incarnation. It'll make more sense if/when Matt, Foggy and Karen show up I guess.

Jedi Merkurian and Master_Lok like this.