main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: The Fallen Star by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 23, 2021.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    didn't expect this.

Seems to early for the killing of the "star"(light) of the story

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah let's hope the Order doesn't fall from the golden era too quickly. We are still about 130 years before Dooku is born. There should at least be several generations before the Jedi begin to resemble the Order from the Dooku novel.

Barriss_Coffee and AusStig like this.
  3. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I wonder if there will be significant time skips between phases. The first phase seems like it’s lasting 1.5-2 years depending on how long after Rising Storm this book takes place. The next phase could be 5-10 years later and last a similar amount of time.

AusStig likes this.
  4. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    And with the YA books putting a lot of effort into the High Republic too it would make sense for the characters who are presently starring in the YA books ( such as Vernestra Rowe) to eventually have a lot of impact on the adult novels as they get older.

I could totally see the High Republic publishing initiative spanning an in-universe time period of 50 to 75 years.

AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, SW is now officially spoilering its own products? That is goddamn irritating.

Barriss_Coffee and Golbolco like this.
  6. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Surprised me a bit also that they are pretty much saying Starlight gets destroyed before the book even comes out.

I guess they don't feel that spoiling that is a big deal since we all know something must happen to it since it isn't around in any of the other eras.

I think they are saying the big secret is who survives the book and who doesn't.

AusStig likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Maybe but it's still a crappy way of going om.

To me, it's bad enough that we have 'fans' with no impulse control, the kind who would walk out of a showing of ESB in 1980 talking loudly of how they couldn't believe Vader is Luke's father and then profess amazement as to why they got punched, but having the companies that produce SW doing it is awful.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  8. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Covers Always spoil. And lie.

But covers spoiling isn't really new in general. But unless the fall happens early on it will be annoying.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I thought the cover was already known about - or was this new image the back cover?

10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm on the second book right now (halfway through).

Is this after that one?

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If only reading the adult novels, yes.

But you're missing out if you don't look at the other strands.

InterestingLurker and AusStig like this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Del Rey covers have not tended toward being overly spoiler-laden in the canon era. The degree to which they're really leaning on that particular imagery in this particular case suggests that they want this imagery heavily associated with Wave 3 from the get-go. Even the title of the book is telegraphing this development, for heaven's sake. I suppose we'll find out why when it's released, but for now I'm inclined to believe they want us to know this is coming (if indeed it is) and we shouldn't assume this is just some overeager marketing drone spoiling a major plot twist.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ugh.... Turns out it's a variant cover. Of all the tricks for books to pick up from comics.....

14. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    That good?

15. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    If you only read the adult novels then you can follow along with the main story relatively easily. There are things that are referenced though from the other stuff that you can only understand if you read the YA books and comics

Jedi Ben and InterestingLurker like this.
  16. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I'd say the YA novels are all but essential, and match the tone of the adult novels pretty well. And there are some big story beats in the main Marvel title. The younger reader books and comics are definitely a rung down as "necessary" but I personally follow it all and find some favorite moments and characters across the whole range.

Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends on how you judge but like FFR I've found them very enjoyable, straight forward stories.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    This, for sure. It's not just about "important" events. High Republic Adventures has had some of the best content, regardless of how essential it may or may not be to the overall plot.

19. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    I'd say what the YA books are doing is diving deeper into the feelings of the Jedi and the struggles that some of these Padawans/Young Jedi Knights have with balancing the feelings that come along with being a young person while also being a part of the Order. The adult novels deal with that a little bit as well but they mainly focus on the overall plot more.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In representative terms, in the world we're in, much of what they have quietly pulled off is pretty stunning. There is a diversity of relationships present that hasn't been so in previous SW works.

I wish that a couple of the books existed 25-30 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've found the YA books in general especially of this era to be quite pleasant and downright maybe even better the "Adult" novels.

They have more of a straightforward nature to them and don't get bogged down in stuff like deep lore and exposition.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2021
  22. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    First pic is kind of reminiscent of Star Trek 3 and the Enterprise.

Much as I am enjoying the HR stuff...I really wish they would hey her on the Lost Stars sequel.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  23. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    "What did I do Sskeer?" "What you alwayss do Avar, turn death into a fighting chance for life"

Chris0013 likes this.
  24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Guess I can't complain about you going there since I went there first.

AusStig likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, what does the Starlight Beacon actually do?